• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Guardian Chalkboard is amazing.

...unfortunately, it highlights exactly how little Poulsen does. Lucas, playing a similiar position (and being Lucas :ph34r: ), had 42 completed passes and 11 uncompleted. Poulsen had 19 completed passes and 16 uncompleted. That's pathetic.

EDIT: This also confirms that goal.com's match ratings are completely stupid. Which I'm sure we knew already.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Guardian Chalkboard is amazing.

...unfortunately, it highlights exactly how little Poulsen does. Lucas, playing a similiar position (and being Lucas :ph34r: ), had 42 completed passes and 11 uncompleted. Poulsen had 19 completed passes and 16 uncompleted. That's pathetic.

EDIT: This also confirms that goal.com's match ratings are completely stupid. Which I'm sure we knew already.
Meh, you can hardly use stats to judge contributions from footballers, particularly defensive midfielders. So much of what they do is about their off-the-ball play.

Not to say Poulsen hasn't been poor, just don't think the number of passes completed is particularly telling in the grand scheme of things.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh, you can hardly use stats to judge contributions from footballers, particularly defensive midfielders. So much of what they do is about their off-the-ball play.

Not to say Poulsen hasn't been poor, just don't think the number of passes completed is particularly telling in the grand scheme of things.
Quite so. That's why they're the worst players to have in dream teams, because the stats don't properly reflect what they do, but equally no real XI is complete without one.

Football uniquely resistant to statistical analysis, IMHO.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chalkboards are useul for telling you how active a player has been, what areas of the pitch he's been effective in, work rate etc etc. Not the be all-end all of analysis but good reference point to validate what you've observed while watching the match.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'm not saying by any means that Poulsen's passing statistic in isolation means he had a bad game. Just using it to help illustrate how he went. The rest of his stats, and the fact that he had a rubbish game, meant he had a rubbish game. ;)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bit of a semi-related tangent but I've actually felt that you can't fully appreciate/unappareciate (delete as appropriate) without being at the ground. So much of the good/bad work by these players is off the camera.

Less so in this day of 47,000 replays and interactive TV of course but that's my two cents. Will probably get slated for it and I'm certainly not trying to suggest only proper fans go the game (I bloody missed us beating Southampton at home yesterday tbh) so make of it what you will.

EDIT - I missed out the words 'defensive midfielders' from my post initially, was largely referring to them as that was what we were discussing. But it certainly does ring true for the game in general, so perhaps I did it (un)intentionally.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a semi-related tangent but I've actually felt that you can't fully appreciate/unappareciate (delete as appropriate) without being at the ground. So much of the good/bad work by these players is off the camera.

Less so in this day of 47,000 replays and interactive TV of course but that's my two cents. Will probably get slated for it and I'm certainly not trying to suggest only proper fans go the game (I bloody missed us beating Southampton at home yesterday tbh) so make of it what you will.
Yeah. Keep football live IMHO. Home taping is killing football.

If you get the reference you're probably as old as me. :ph34r:

Seriously tho, a good half of what goes on is missed by the live feed (although as you say in these days of 2000 cameras per match it's probably picked up somewhere).

Further tangent, but that's my prob with Aussie Rules, as it doesn't have an offside line & is played on cricket ovals I'd guess an even higher percentage of the action is missed by telly so I feel as if I'm always missing something.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:

Never seen that before but I'm certainly old enough to have had many illegally taped albums in my time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would extend that to other, if not all sports. Imo of course.
Sports like baseball and cricket certainly have more useful statistics that can be used, but yeah, agreed. Football in particular is an awful game for pure statistical analysis, although I'd say the defensive midfield is probably the easiest to analyse effectively using purely statistical analysis.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

EDIT - I missed out the words 'defensive midfielders' from my post initially, was largely referring to them as that was what we were discussing. But it certainly does ring true for the game in general, so perhaps I did it (un)intentionally.
Mmm dunno if I'd say it's unequivocally "better", but you pick up on different things and the contribution of defensive midfielders is definitely one of them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Mmm dunno if I'd say it's unequivocally "better", but you pick up on different things and the contribution of defensive midfielders is definitely one of them.
Nah, I definitely agree with Corrin. When you consider a) how little of the 90 minutes an individual player actually spends with the ball at his feet and b) that TV will always follow the ball, I don't see how you can't argue that you get a better appreciation by being at the ground.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gray & Keys slate female lino off air

Link.

Apologies for the source, but it's lolworthy stuff. The Sky comm team caught with pants down when they thought they were off air after the first Liverpool goal yest. Imagine what they'd have said if she'd got the decision wrong.

& I love Keys's comment about Karen Brady at the end, "The charming Karen Brady was complaining about ***ism; do me a favour, love." :laugh:

Genius.

cpr

International Coach
Considering Big Ron got sacked for off air comments, can we please get rid of Andy Gray now....