• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
They're missing Lampard too. As I said before, not sure if in here, their squad is thin after the first 15. After that it's untried kids. Don't fancy McEachran was supposed to have gotten as many minutes as he has had so far.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England squad for France friendly is a farce. Chris Smalling is only in the team simply because of the club he plays for. He is such a good defender, Targgart sticks him up front.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha didn't he play?

The whole week has rather supported your point then :p.

Although I definitely think they're still the best team in the league without him..
Haha, he was entirely absent and Drogba only played 45 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I am aware my point is somewhat basic in some ways, as in, it's fairly obvious that a team will be poorer if you take away players of this quality. But...best team in the league without him....hmmm, maybe, but the bridge between them and Arsenal/Utd/City is bridged massively whilst they are absent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They're missing Lampard too. As I said before, not sure if in here, their squad is thin after the first 15. After that it's untried kids. Don't fancy McEachran was supposed to have gotten as many minutes as he has had so far.
Should've held onto either or both Deco and Ballack.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But...best team in the league without him....hmmm, maybe, but the bridge between them and Arsenal/Utd/City is bridged massively whilst they are absent.
Yeah, the problem is, Arsenal and United aren't exempt from injuries and suspensions to key players while Chelsea are having trouble. If either club is going to momentarily overtake them as a result of their injuries they really need Van Persie/Vermaelen/Rooney/Valencia.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the problem is, Arsenal and United aren't exempt from injuries and suspensions to key players while Chelsea are having trouble. If either club is going to momentarily overtake them as a result of their injuries they really need Van Persie/Vermaelen/Rooney/Valencia.
Really don't think Van Persie is actually all that imperative to Arsenal's chances tbh. Good as he is, he's absent so much of the time anyway the team seems to do just as well when he isn't around. Particularly now that Chamakh has been pretty impressive since joining. I would say Van Persie's influence and importance to Arsenal is dwindling further with every game he misses through injury, it has been a long time since he's really been at the forefront of the team, and even longer since he's made a truly important contribution like Cesc did hauling Arsenal through all those games last season. Though I like him, I would say he really needs to get his arse in gear if he's to stay with the club.

As for Gael Clichy, have always been of the opinion that he was a decent prospect/useful squad player more than anything else. Despite having several seasons at first choice now I don't really think he's made any significant improvement and has done little to change my view on him. Again, quite like the guy, but I think he's benefited from other players underperforming and thus them being the centre of attention. Though he doesn't often look glaringly bad, he never looks astoundingly good either. Not exactly a first name on the team sheet type player, but does the job.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
WAG. Liking Villa more and more at the moment. Will be so great to see him back, hope he can make an impact.

Uppercut

Really don't think Van Persie is actually all that imperative to Arsenal's chances tbh. Good as he is, he's absent so much of the time anyway the team seems to do just as well when he isn't around. Particularly now that Chamakh has been pretty impressive since joining. I would say Van Persie's influence and importance to Arsenal is dwindling further with every game he misses through injury, it has been a long time since he's really been at the forefront of the team, and even longer since he's made a truly important contribution like Cesc did hauling Arsenal through all those games last season. Though I like him, I would say he really needs to get his arse in gear if he's to stay with the club.
I'd say that's largely true most of the time, but Van Persie's absence hits properly hard when it comes to games against United, Chelsea, Citeh, Liverpool. I've completely lost count of all the times he's delivered something special in a big game. You can really tell the difference between playing a big match vs. Arsenal with RVP up front and without. I'm much more scared of him than I am of Fabregas.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd say that's largely true most of the time, but Van Persie's absence hits properly hard when it comes to games against United, Chelsea, Citeh, Liverpool. I've completely lost count of all the times he's delivered something special in a big game. You can really tell the difference between playing a big match vs. Arsenal with RVP up front and without. I'm much more scared of him than I am of Fabregas.
Yeah, you're probably right, as he does offer a very different kind of potent threat that the rest of the Arsenal team can't really provide. However, it has got to the stage where he is either always coming back from injury or getting injured once he finds his form again, so his impact in the big games is negligible. This is the problem with having such a player I suppose. Great when fit, but hardly ever is...so is he really worth perservering with?...Unsure myself. Would obviously be great from my point of view if he came back and got rid of his injury troubles at hit top form regularly, but alternatively if he came back and we got the same old routine then I'd regretfully admit that it was probably best that he moved on. Which as I say, would be a shame, as I do like to watch the guy.

Uppercut

Yeah, definitely. In general I don't think Wenger pays anywhere near enough attention to a player's fitness record when deciding whether or not to sign them. Although one good thing about RVP is that he generally doesn't take much time to find his feet when coming back from injury. Just thinking of the Spurs game at the end of last season.

vcs

RvP is one of those players who looks amazing to watch but his output doesn't quite match up... Rooney was in the same boat upto last season, and even then his goal glut (IMO) came at the cost of some of his magical moments in general play that he used to produce.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If I was Wenger, I'd sell van Persie and replace him with Suarez.

Van Persie is injured far too often to be considered a worthwhile squad member.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am glad Wenger's our manager then :p

He's not indispensable, so if a fantastic offer come in then I think it should be considered but as it is van Persie's and awesomely talented striker and when he's fit he adds so much to us as a team.
For a few seasons now he's been absolutely awesome when he's got on the pitch, it's just he's never played more than 14 consecutive games or something. ATM we can cope without him, Chamakh's been good, Bendtner's not far away from coming back, Theo's scoring, JET looks set to make himself a decent part of the first team squad. We have options and we're scoring goals...
I would've considered replacing him a while back when he was out for 9 months with his second hamstring injury and we were playing a badly under-developed Bendtner as a lone striker.