• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Furball

Evil Scotsman
FMD, Liverpool are playing well, Chelsea are getting murdered.
Thought Chelsea had the better of it in the 15-20 mins after Liverpool's first, without really looking threatening.

Although I am watching it in the background at work, so could be talking bollocks. Gorgeous 2nd by Torres as well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends if you agree that one player making a mistake makes Newcastle the better side, regardless of anything else.
Not making big mistakes is a pretty important part of football. If there's nothing else to choose between the sides then of course the team that made one huge goal-costing mistake deserved to lose.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's different. The point being argued was teams who can't score don't deserve to win. I don't see how that's debatable.
No, Uppercut believes the team that score more goals always deserves to win.
And duffer even said we didn't deserve to win, so thats not that was being argued at all.

Woodster

International Captain
Blues back to winning ways today!!Been a long time coming. Balotelli looks the kind of player that will ensure life will never be dull while he's around, took his second goal really well, then stupidly got involved in a tangle, straight red looked harsh though, need to see it again.

Pepe Reina just pulled off an instinctive save off Malouda from a couple of yards out to keep it 2-0. Goal for Chelsea will make it a better game though.

Uppercut

No, Uppercut believes the team that score more goals always deserves to win.
It's not that I "believe" it, it's that it's explicitly stated in the rules of football. The winner is the team that scores more goals. Nothing else is of the slightest bit of relevance, but I'd certainly make an exception for refereeing balls-ups.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where have I said otherwise? Just because "the rules say so" doesn't necessarily mean teams deserve to win/ lose.

Uppercut

Well I suppose you're free to make your own judgments on the justice of a result. But it seems bizarre to me that two teams are sent out with the explicit and sole aim of scoring more goals than the other, and people somehow decide afterwards that the team deserving of the victory was the one that didn't.

Uppercut

The thing is, Newcastle, having scored more goals than Arsenal, did exactly what was asked of them, so you surely can't argue that Newcastle didn't deserve to win. And obviously if Newcastle deserved their victory, their opponents deserved their defeat.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Clearly we've all had this argument before. There is nothing to gain from having it again. One more post on this matter and I will have to take action.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite so. It's tiresome and wrong-headed. The "best" team, however one wants to measure it (possession, chances, territory, etc), doesn't always win. Deal with it.

Uppercut

*shrug*

Maybe you need to be an Arsenal fan to understand the merits of having lots of territory, possession and chances as opposed to winning football matches.

Although it is a lot fairer to say that the better team lost than it is to say the team that lost deserved to win.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
*shrug*

Maybe you need to be an Arsenal fan to understand the merits of having lots of territory, possession and chances as opposed to winning football matches.

Although it is a lot fairer to say that the better team lost than it is to say the team that lost deserved to win.
I didn't say anything about Arsenal. Take the 2005 FA Cup final; I don't think anyone who saw it wouldn't say Arsenal were the second best team and yet we went home with the cup. It's the nature of the sport. High premium on scoring and all that.

vcs

Barcelona are showing how to turn possession and territorial advantage into goalscoring chances, and goals (Messi what a player). BTW, Arsenal didn't even dominate midfield or create that many chances against Newcastle.