• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is probably what's behind the decision to be honest. Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that he's basically been told "look, we need the cash, we'll make things easy for you to leave in the summer provided we can find a buyer, just sign this now".
Haha really? Seems incredibly far-fetched to me that he'd sign himself into a five-year deal when he wants to leave purely so the club could get paid for him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's happened plenty in the past. Player gets a nice signing on fee for their troubles.

Doesn't mean that's happened here, but I wouldn't say it's far-fetched per se.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to Italian media, Gareth Bale is worth around €40m to Tottenham.

EDIT: Can anybody else ever recall seeing a left back score a hat-trick in a match, more so against quality opposition? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.
Like Rose said, he was left side of midfield.

Haha really? Seems incredibly far-fetched to me that he'd sign himself into a five-year deal when he wants to leave purely so the club could get paid for him.
Not all that far-fetched, especially if that is actually how events transpired with Cole. I mean who loses in that situation? Rooney gets a massive signing on bonus, gets paid more between now and leaving and United get a substantially increased transfer fee for him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He and his agent will also accrue a lot more money from any future transfer as well. I'm not explicitly stating that this is definitely what has happened here. But I wouldn't be at all surprised.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What seems far-fetched to me, is someone saying they are happy to commit themselves to a club for the next 5 years when just the day before they were adamantly stating that they wanted out.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a waste of everyone's time. Looking forward to hearing Man Utd. fans sing his name after the next tap-in he scores.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

EDIT: Can anybody else ever recall seeing a left back score a hat-trick in a match, more so against quality opposition? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.
As has been mentioned, he's been played LM this season. Having said that, he is red hot right now. Incredible player.

Woodster

International Captain
Have to agree with you guys regarding Rooney's new contract. It's pretty much a win-win for Rooney and Utd with this new long-term contract. As we all know, contracts in terms of what they mean to a players loyalty is nothing, a long contract like this is simply security for the club, so when he is sold they get a price close to what they value him at.

It's also the timing of the whole thing. We're in October, if there was no new contract signed, he more than likely wouldn't have played until he left, possibly in January time, when he'd be lacking match fitness, price tag may have dwindled a million or two, and Utd would get maybe around £25m for him with only 18 months on his contract left.

This way, Utd get Rooney playing for them, all his team-mates believe he is Utd through and through again, he attempts to find some form to confirm his worth to his new club, Utd then get perhaps close to double the amount they would have received when he leaves in January or in the summer. Strongly expect something in his contract stating that the club are obliged to accept any offer around £40m and allow Rooney to speak to whatever club bid it. The only people this new deal affects, is the buying club who will probably need to find a few more millions.

This is of course all based on the premise of what we've heard in the press regarding reasons of his unhappiness is true. I mean how can you one day have such reservations about the club and its future, then the next day signed a five-year deal ?? What on earth could have been said in that meeting to ensure such a contrast in his decision, from being adamant about leaving a club clearly in decline, to signing a whopping long contract???

Unless Fergie has a few unseen pictures of Wayne Rooney, a labrador and a jar of vaseline in an old folks home ?? MMMhhhh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What seems far-fetched to me, is someone saying they are happy to commit themselves to a club for the next 5 years when just the day before they were adamantly stating that they wanted out.
He really is an ordinary individual

Craig

World Traveller
How does it work in England, if a club goes arse up and ceases to exist? In Italy if a club faces a similar fate, the club is dissolved, with all the players becoming free agents, and if an individual or a group of people so chooses to do so, they can start the club up with am identical name, in one division lower then what they were (say Serie B, down to Lega Pro, formerly Serie C), and starts off with a points penalty (IIRC, but not sure on that). So if Pompey were to cease to exist, and the Supporters Trust then formed a new club under a similar name, where do they begin? Somewhere in the non-league, or right down at the bottom of the Pyramid?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How does it work in England, if a club goes arse up and ceases to exist? In Italy if a club faces a similar fate, the club is dissolved, with all the players becoming free agents, and if an individual or a group of people so chooses to do so, they can start the club up with am identical name, in one division lower then what they were (say Serie B, down to Lega Pro, formerly Serie C), and starts off with a points penalty (IIRC, but not sure on that). So if Pompey were to cease to exist, and the Supporters Trust then formed a new club under a similar name, where do they begin? Somewhere in the non-league, or right down at the bottom of the Pyramid?
Pretty much, yeah. It's happened before with (off top of my head) Aldershot, Accrington Stanley and Newport County. The former two are now back in the league and the latter (I think) Conference South.

Pompey will rise again; too many fans not to.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Best I can think of was the French left back scoring two in a Euro Championship semifinal vs Portugal in 1984.

EDIT
Here it is - Domergue was the guys name. Absolutely wonderful game it was too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8DAjJaD-0

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty much, yeah. It's happened before with (off top of my head) Aldershot, Accrington Stanley and Newport County. The former two are now back in the league and the latter (I think) Conference South.

Pompey will rise again; too many fans not to.
More recently Jester, as well