• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Will see how it plays out then, if it doesn't look like he'll sign a new one I doubt they'll want to miss cashing in but I still don't think you'll see him go for anything other than a sizeable fee.
Yeah I expect him to go for at least 15-20 mil. Nowhere near 30 though unless it's City or Madrid bidding.

cpr

International Coach
Considering the amount of games played last season compared to all the City strikers I have down Berbatov, Rooney, Owen, Hernandez, Welbeck, Macheda and Diouf.
Forgot about Diouf tbh. Welbeck played a few games aye, dont expect any more than that this season, would put money on a full season out on loan (did go to Preston but then got crocked). One for the future.

Hard to see us offloading Owen considering he's going to be coming off an injury and he did well when called upon. Hernandez's fee suggests he's going to be a first teamer. Welbeck out on loan as well as Diouf. Maybe Macheda. Berbatov only going if there's a decent offer for him.[/QUOTE]

We'll probably see the back of Owen because he'll want a more regular game, he's down the pecking order behind Hernandez, and even further if we get another striker.

Hernandez's fee suggests nothing, Fergie has never worried about splashing millions on a future star and not putting them into the team from the off.

One injury upfront and were relying on the untried and young Hernandez, the inexperienced Macheda, or the half the time crocked himself Owen. Cannot sustain a push for glory without a better no 3 striker.....Really though midfield is even worse, should focus there first.

roseboy64

Hernandez at 22 and playing a decent standard at Chivas is clearly going to be battling it with Owen for 3rd choice giving 4 forwards and a decent portion of games only involved one being played. I'm quite fine with him as with the friendlies I've seen in him plus WC games plus highlights of games in Mexico and reviews from people who've watched games I've not seen he's got pace, good in the air, decent touch and seems to be able to finish. Well worth giving him a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anywhere from 6-10m depending on who you believe. EIther way it's a hefty amount to gamble on potential when you haven't a huge transfer kitty (similar to the Smalling deal in fact)

Considering his recent track record of spending fairly big on unproven players I wonder if these were the best way to go this summer?

cpr

International Coach
Yes Rose, give him a chance. Depend on him for 1st change is too much for an unproven player when your battling England and Europes elite.

Need 3 top class strikers for a season. We've got 1 (2 on his day), if we can afford it, add another one in. Yes we've got 2 good quality youngsters who'll stand us in good stead down the line, but cant push them too hard now. Hopefully either Hernandez or Macheda can show they are ready, then brilliant, but cannot just expect them to be ready without knowing.

roseboy64

I'd expect him to be in the first team. Don't be surprised if he is. Might be the best piece of business this season if he adapts right away.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anywhere from 6-10m depending on who you believe. EIther way it's a hefty amount to gamble on potential when you haven't a huge transfer kitty (similar to the Smalling deal in fact)

Considering his recent track record of spending fairly big on unproven players I wonder if these were the best way to go this summer?
Tbf, Ronaldo alone probably justifies his entire transfer policy for the past few years. Three titles and a huge chunk of profit. You really don't have to unearth a future superstar very often with a deal like this to make it a good one.

His deals aren't what they used to be though, plenty of duds lately. Used to be when Ferguson signed a player like this I'd just assume he was probably good.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Tbf, Ronaldo alone probably justifies his entire transfer policy for the past few years. Three titles and a huge chunk of profit. You really don't have to unearth a future superstar very often with a deal like this to make it a good one.

His deals aren't what they used to be though, plenty of duds lately. Used to be when Ferguson signed a player like this I'd just assume he was probably good.
Were you thinking that when he signed that random Chinese player?

Uppercut

Yeah kinda. You wouldn't really assume he was good, I'll take that back, but you'd think there was a pretty decent chance of it.

Craig

World Traveller
Watch out Ikki, Glen Johnson is the latest player linked to join Benitez in Italy. That is providing Maicon gets sold of course (which it will probably happen since his value will soon start go down).

Personally, if Santon can get back to full fitness, I would rather he get a go then Johnson, I mean if you can make your debut for team like Inter and 6 months later you are in the Italian senior team, you must have something going for you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So, Corrin, how do you rate tranmere's chances of avoiding relegation this season?
Bit early to say yet, still work to do in the market and with regard to a couple of our own players' contracts. Friendlies start next Tuesday (can't wait, playing Heswall away where you can drink at pitchside) so I'll answer again after seeing a few of them.

vcs

Watch out Ikki, Glen Johnson is the latest player linked to join Benitez in Italy. That is providing Maicon gets sold of course (which it will probably happen since his value will soon start go down).

Personally, if Santon can get back to full fitness, I would rather he get a go then Johnson, I mean if you can make your debut for team like Inter and 6 months later you are in the Italian senior team, you must have something going for you.
Maicon is only about a million times as good as Johnson. Seems to fit in with the previous rumours of Benitez replacing Cambiasso and Sneijder with Mascherano and Kuyt. What exactly is he trying to do here.. sabotage Inter, or help Liverpool by forcing them to replace these guys with better players? :laugh: :laugh: As I said earlier, this is a huge comedown for Inter fans after a treble under Mourinho.

EDIT : I also heard he doesn't have the authority to make transfers anyway at Inter..

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We've signed Daniel Nardiello. I am willing to forgive the Man U and Wales past. I'm dead magnanimous me, unless he turn out to be ****e obviously. Then he'll be a "Taff Manure reject".

roseboy64

I think to be fair there was only one person who didn't recognise that Dong was about the shirt sales rather than the footballing ability.
If it was shirt sales alone there are more known players in China we probably could have gotten. Deals for players like him are made all the time but the only reason he's brought up is because he's Chinese which is quite discriminatory. Don't judge where the player's from. Honda from Japan must also just be for the shirt sales as Asians can't play football.

Jarquis

Buying good Asian footballers = Ability + shirt sales.
Buying Dong = Shirt sales.

Matteh

If it was shirt sales alone there are more known players in China we probably could have gotten. Deals for players like him are made all the time but the only reason he's brought up is because he's Chinese which is quite discriminatory. Don't judge where the player's from. Honda from Japan must also just be for the shirt sales as Asians can't play football.
The Chinese players that have played in the Premiership (bearing in mind one had 100+ caps for China) have been ****e, therefore all Chinese players are ****e.