• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

cpr

International Coach
Looks a bit innocuous but late in most angles, until you see the view from behind (which is also the refs view), and its a bloody horrid lunge....

Sharing Brumby's sympathy

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Would like to take a moment to a hearty guffaw at Felix Magath.

He's spent €37 million on transfers, in a club that already has a debt of €250 million (compares to a turnover of €160 million), kicked out most of the first eleven that brought him silver in the league last year, and still carries a squad of around forty players...

and the record: Played seven, won one (against third-tier VfR Aalen in the cup), lost six, five goals for, 13 goals against.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

He's spent €37 million on transfers, in a club that already has a debt of €250 million (compares to a turnover of €160 million), kicked out most of the first eleven that brought him silver in the league last year, and still carries a squad of around forty players...

and the record: Played seven, won one (against third-tier VfR Aalen in the cup), lost six, five goals for, 13 goals against.
Had a bit of a falling out with the club's support as well, hasn't he?

How can Schalke be in that much debt? I thought there were Bundesliga rules against that sort of thing?

cpr

International Coach
BTW, those saying O'Shea should've been sent off, completely disagree. Torres wasn't in a goalscoring position, would only have been 50/50 to get the ball anyway (and even if he did he'd have been moving away from goal). Dont even think theres any intention from O'Shea, just both clashed heading accross.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Had a bit of a falling out with the club's support as well, hasn't he?
Yup - think he is rumoured to have sacked the supporter's member of the board, who had been there since 1994 (which, in Schalke terms, translates to several ice ages). The backlash against this decision was then dismissed as 'the voice of a small group', which led to a number of people showing signs of 'small group' and even two players playing with t-shirts with that quote beneath their kit.

This sort of chaos seems to happen at Schalke every other year or so, though. It's more amusing because Magath is branded as a manager who turns lead into gold everywhere he goes...while he's probably just lucked into sides that click.

How can Schalke be in that much debt? I thought there were Bundesliga rules against that sort of thing?
The league seems satisfied that they have the resources to handle it - it's tied up in the stadium as well so in theory they have assets to be sold in order to avoid a bankruptcy. Also, the Bundesliga's harshest financial rules are actually against company ownership - no single entity can own more than 51 % of the club, which discourages constructs like Chelsea & Man Sheikeh.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

It's like he hasn't learned the interface in Football Manager.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lionel Messi might be out for a couple of months courtesy of this horrible tackle from Ujfalusi.
Ujfalusi you prick! :@

Just as Messi was looking like he had overcome his injury worries that plagued him earlier in his career, someone takes him out.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just realised how difficult of a start to the season Liverpool have had. Sitting 16th obviously isn't ideal, and I would've hoped they'd be able to pick up more points again the better teams than they have. Then I look at who've they've played and IMO it's not that big a surprise considering they've played 3 of last years top 5, an upper-mid table team who are notoriously hard to beat at home, and new promoted team.

Craig

World Traveller
Yup - think he is rumoured to have sacked the supporter's member of the board, who had been there since 1994 (which, in Schalke terms, translates to several ice ages). The backlash against this decision was then dismissed as 'the voice of a small group', which led to a number of people showing signs of 'small group' and even two players playing with t-shirts with that quote beneath their kit.

This sort of chaos seems to happen at Schalke every other year or so, though. It's more amusing because Magath is branded as a manager who turns lead into gold everywhere he goes...while he's probably just lucked into sides that click.

The league seems satisfied that they have the resources to handle it - it's tied up in the stadium as well so in theory they have assets to be sold in order to avoid a bankruptcy. Also, the Bundesliga's harshest financial rules are actually against company ownership - no single entity can own more than 51 % of the club, which discourages constructs like Chelsea & Man Sheikeh.
So is Gazprom the reason why they have been spending so much money on players (and I don't think Raul comes cheap either)?

In other news, which will no doubt put himself in high esteem with Brumby and the Arsenal fans on here:

Van der Vaart: Tottenham are bigger than Arsenal - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed, but the style of football we're playing is very worrying imo.
Yeah agree. Looked much better last night once moved to a 4-4-2 though imo. Not sure why Meireles was playing behind Torres, was a bit daft for mine.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just realised how difficult of a start to the season Liverpool have had. Sitting 16th obviously isn't ideal, and I would've hoped they'd be able to pick up more points again the better teams than they have. Then I look at who've they've played and IMO it's not that big a surprise considering they've played 3 of last years top 5, an upper-mid table team who are notoriously hard to beat at home, and new promoted team.
We're only 3 points off from 4th I believe...but the way we are playing means even the lesser likes look tough right now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They haven't really had any terrible results yet. They'll always be odds-against to come away from Citeh or United with anything and no one ever wins at Birmingham. A little unlucky not to beat Arsenal, can't really plan for your world-class keeper committing a comical howler in injury time.

The most concerning performance was probably in the match they won.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True, but if you've got delusions of being a big club then they're the matches you have to win.