• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The soccer - er, football - noob question thread

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'll be brief.

I only watch international friendlies, Euro 20xx, and World Cups. EPL if my sleepers haven't kicked in.

I have a question (which, incidentally, inspired this thread):

If a tackle hits the ball before it hits the player being tackled, is it potentially a foul even if the tacklee falls over/does a Gr*sso?

Thank you for your time and inevitable trolling.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it true that a game of soccer often ends in a scoreless draw?

My mate was trying to tell me that the other day, laughed in his face. Surely they wouldn't create a sport like that. Surely.

Uppercut

I'll be brief.

I only watch international friendlies, Euro 20xx, and World Cups. EPL if my sleepers haven't kicked in.

I have a question (which, incidentally, inspired this thread):

If a tackle hits the ball before it hits the player being tackled, is it potentially a foul even if the tacklee falls over/does a Gr*sso?

Thank you for your time and inevitable trolling.
Yeah, if it's dangerous.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why don't they pick up the ball and run with it, instead of just kicking it along the ground?

ripper868

International Coach
Why do soccer followers get riled up when people call soccer, soccer? Particularly those in Australia who follow the Soccerroos?

Uppercut

Because that's not what it's called. It's just like people would get annoyed if I replaced the word "Australian" with "****tard" and proceeded to call them all that instead. Then started calling people from New Zealand "Australian" instead.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Not really, it's always been soccer here, can perfectly understand calling it Football in England, but since i was a little tacker everything I've known about it has been soccer...the National Soccer League, The Socceroos...Don't get why some ****tards (aussies) as you put it get ****ty when people who have called it soccer there whole life continue to do so based on reaching the world cup in 06.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really, it's always been soccer here, can perfectly understand calling it Football in England, but since i was a little tacker everything I've known about it has been soccer...the National Soccer League, The Socceroos...Don't get why some ****tards (aussies) as you put it get ****ty when people who have called it soccer there whole life continue to do so based on reaching the world cup in 06.
TBF your association changed its name from the Australian Soccer Association to Football Federation Australia in 2005.

Don't give a rats, myself. Contrary to popular belief "soccer" is an English coinage anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep. Some geezer asked some other geezer if he was going to play rugger and he said he'd rather play "soccer".

A lot of people don't realise that it's a derivative of the term "association"

Burgey

Yep. Some geezer asked some other geezer if he was going to play rugger and he said he'd rather play "soccer".

A lot of people don't realise that it's a derivative of the term "association"
Indeed.

And tbf there are 4 codes of football here. The term soccer really needs to be used to differentiate. If you say you're going to the footy on the weekend here, you might be going to a game of league, AFL, soccer or (least likely of all) rah rah.