• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The soccer - er, football - noob question thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But you can't call it "AFL" because AFL is a league. The sport itself is Aussie Rules football.

You don't go and play "Barclays Premier League" in the backyard. You play football/soccer.

Same thing with Aussie Rules.

Otherwise the name of the sport changed from VFL to AFL a few decades ago :dry:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why can't you say "I'm going to an AFL/ NRL/ Super 14/ Club Rugby (yeah I know, club rugby heh) game" though?

benchmark00

Football = Aussie rules.

If I said to someone I'm going to have a kick of the footy and they assume it's anything other than Aussie Rules I'd punch them square in the kisser.

Burgey

Yeah I see your point, though it must be said that for others they'd assume you were off to play league. Which is why soccer needs to be called soccer here.

It's soccer ffs. Hate this ****. It's like people who want to be called "Englishmen" instead of "Pommie ****".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, it's always been soccer here, can perfectly understand calling it Football in England, but since i was a little tacker everything I've known about it has been soccer...the National Soccer League, The Socceroos...Don't get why some ****tards (aussies) as you put it get ****ty when people who have called it soccer there whole life continue to do so based on reaching the world cup in 06.
Fast forward 20 years...

"since i was a little tacker everything I've known about it has been football..the Football Federation of Australia...Don't get why some ****tards (aussies) as you put it get ****ty when people who have called it football there whole life continue to do so"

Times will change and reckon one day everyone will call it Football in Australia. 10 years no one used the term NRL, Super Rugby or AFL. It was VFL or Aussie Rules back then btw. Though like some oldies still call the Roosters, Easts. Some people will still call Football, soccer in Australia.

benchmark00

Fast forward 20 years...

"since i was a little tacker everything I've known about it has been football..the Football Federation of Australia...Don't get why some ****tards (aussies) as you put it get ****ty when people who have called it football there whole life continue to do so"

Times will change and reckon one day everyone will call it Football in Australia. 10 years no one used the term NRL, Super Rugby or AFL. It was VFL or Aussie Rules back then btw. Though like some oldies still call the Roosters, Easts. Some people will still call Football, soccer in Australia.
Haha it was VFL 10 years ago??

benchmark00

Was more commenting on Jono comment that people didn't call it VFL, but Aussie Rules. Always been called AFL or VFL in Sydney. Not many people I know call it Aussie Rules for some reason.
Sydney/Canberra (and I guess most parts of Queensland) are the only places I've been in Australia where the majority of people don't refer to Aussie Rules as simply football.

Jono's point was that it's stupid to call Aussie Rules AFL or VFL, because it's the league, not the sport. Like you can't say 'I'm going down the park to play AFL', because clearly you don't play in the Australian Football League.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney/Canberra (and I guess most parts of Queensland) are the only places I've been in Australia where the majority of people don't refer to Aussie Rules as simply football.

Jono's point was that it's stupid to call Aussie Rules AFL or VFL, because it's the league, not the sport. Like you can't say 'I'm going down the park to play AFL', because clearly you don't play in the Australian Football League.
That what most people say around here, 'I'm going down the park to play AFL'. It is stupid but that is the common term.