Page 91 of 1135 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 17017
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: A.F.L. Thread II

Let Mad Monday begin!
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Travis Tuck the first player to get a 'third strike' and be named as such under the AFL's policy.

Alarming, if I've understood Kennett's comments correctly, that apparently the Hawks knew nothing of this until 24 hours AFTER this latest incident.

Hope he gets whatever help he needs, but it seems likely he'll miss much of 2011 suspended, and face an uncertain future as a player full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    No doubt that overdose story wouldn't have seen the light of day had this been his first or second strike.

Pretty sad state of affairs. The three strikes policy is the ****ing pits IMO.

You reckon? I thought it came out after he was hospitalised, and the police became involved - rather than having anything to do with it being his third strike. Apparently this only counts as a 'strike' because he admitted he had breached the policy - ie he never tested positive.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Nah, I like the three strike policy if it works the way it should.

1st strike is there because players drinks can be spiked or some other form of accident.
    2nd strike is there because it sends alarm bells to the club that the player has a problem and they have to deal with it without the public knowing and so the player can continue their career as they get help.
    3rd strike is when the player obviously can't get a handle on his problem and is out.

Hawthorn, up until a couple of years ago, have been seen to have a party drug culture in it, and it's unfortunate Tuck seems to have gotten caught up in it. It's very disappointing that Hawthorn either didn't take strike two serious enough or that Tuck was just too far 'into' it that he couldn't pull back.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Huge value on the Dockers vs. Hawks right now.
    Even more value now!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Sneaked in front of you on total points as well as taking the title Jono..need to lift your game next year
    Haha I lost my cash league by 10 points too, so it all ended in hearbreak.

Great year from you though. Hopefully we can get more competitive teams from CW next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

1st strike is there because players drinks can be spiked or some other form of accident.
    2nd strike is there because it sends alarm bells to the club that the player has a problem and they have to deal with it without the public knowing and so the player can continue their career as they get help.
    3rd strike is when the player obviously can't get a handle on his problem and is out.
    100% agree.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hawthorn, up until a couple of years ago, have been seen to have a party drug culture in it, and it's unfortunate Tuck seems to have gotten caught up in it. It's very disappointing that Hawthorn either didn't take strike two serious enough or that Tuck was just too far 'into' it that he couldn't pull back.
    Yeah, so Hawthorn would have been told after the 2nd strike then?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Yeah, so Hawthorn would have been told after the 2nd strike then?
    Nah Hawthorn only finds out after the 3rd I think, but it should work the way I said.

the club doctor is notified after the 2nd strike but must keep the identity of the player confidential.

Tuck suspended for 12 weeks, but can play VFL after 8.

Apparently has depression.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 31-08-2010 at 07:04 AM.

Your approach is more sensible I reckon.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Yeah, I've got no problem with benchy's approach.

Does the AFL offer any help to the player involved? Because if it is as it stands, and the player just gets told to lift his game then that is totally ****ed.

Looking forward to the documentary.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    Yeah, I've got no problem with benchy's approach.

Does the AFL offer any help to the player involved? Because if it is as it stands, and the player just gets told to lift his game then that is totally ****ed.
    As I understand, after the first strike the AFL medical officer is the only person who knows about it (other than the player himself). So judging by that, I would expect they would endeavour to get the player some help. Certainly after the 2nd strike when the club doctor finds out I would think the doc would provide some form of help.

I think as it stands it has to be more club driven. Though don't quote me.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 31-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Nah Hawthorn only finds out after the 3rd I think, but it should work the way I said.

the club doctor is notified after the 2nd strike but must keep the identity of the player confidential.

Tuck suspended for 12 weeks, but can play VFL after 8.

Apparently has depression.
    This is why Hawthorn can't exactly dig their heels in and say that the system is flawed and that they found out when it was all too late. If the club doctor knows, it makes sense that the club would have been informed they have a player sitting on two strikes. That they may not have been able to do enough without knowing the player's name is about all they can argue.

I also don't think it's the AFL alone that the club should be criticising for the way the system currently works. I'm sure it was negotiated at least in part by the Players Association - certainly they have been vocal in their opposition to players being named to any extent until after the third strike - so they deserve some of the 'credit' for this debacle.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Nathan Krakouer > Gold Coast Suns. Not surprising that one.

Since Pavlich has put off contract talks with Freo until the end of the season, the inevitable speculation is that he will make the switch to Gold Coast. Unless it's an offer too good to refuse, I don't think it will happen.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Pav's stayed with Freo for years when they were ****. They're finally a force, he won't leave now.

Thread Information