• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No way can you say Mick was right place right time. Even if you argue WC were advantaged (which imo they weren't), what he did with the Dogs and then Collingwood twice is amazing.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
No way can you say Mick was right place right time. Even if you argue WC were advantaged (which imo they weren't), what he did with the Dogs and then Collingwood twice is amazing.
I never really did question the guy's ability until he got to Carlton and started talking like a stroke patient. In fairness I think he's probably just way past it, but it does make you wonder. Probably some guys who would have made good coaches over the years have been cast as failures for taking on jobs at poorly run clubs which were doomed to fail - I don't see why the opposite can't be true to some extent.

I take your point about him being coach while the Dogs, West Coast and Collingwood (twice) did good things. As coach he probably had a lot to do with that. I just don't know what it is that he actually did, and no one can truthfully claim to discern how much of that was what he brought that no one else could, and how much was the support and resources of the club itself. If you can you're a genius. Even ascribing something like the high use of rotations at Collingwood to him, you don't know whether he thought of it or how much he was responsible for implementing it.

At any rate the only point of that discussion from my POV is that it's interesting to see how a person can be seen as so unquestionably valuable in a job only for it to blow up in their faces later on. If you blame Mick's failure at Carlton on the administration, I think it serves to highlight how important it is for a footy club to be 'well run'. That, of course, is something much less obvious to the public and ergo not discussed quite as much.

Redbacks

International Captain
Bad Administration matters, probably an average one wouldn't affect a top side in the short term (e.g. Eagles and the drug culture they failed to action).

They have to set the tone and direction of a club. They sacked Ratten to go the next step, then found a coach without a proper interview process who then later made the decision that the list wasn't good enough. Then they stuffed up their messaging this year which makes it an unattractive destination for a player and has others plotting to leave.

howardj

International Coach
Although he's a former great of the game, it was a real cheap shot by Browny on Ablett the other night in my opinion

I'm sure as an 8 x All Australian (in a row) and a 2 x Brownlow medalist who has played 270 games...Ablett's played in pain many times

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Although he's a former great of the game, it was a real cheap shot by Browny on Ablett the other night in my opinion

I'm sure as an 8 x All Australian (in a row) and a 2 x Brownlow medalist who has played 270 games...Ablett's played in pain many times
Gazza is one of a the few star players that doesn't take local anesthetics for injuries I believe.
The peer pressuring of Ablett to take injections is very off-putting to me, particularly when considering the family history with injectable substances.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
god ****ing damnit i turn onto the HOF coverage and they literally cross to Shane ****ing Warne for his thoughts seconds in

howardj

International Coach
The peer pressuring of Ablett to take injections is very off-putting to me, particularly when considering the family history with injectable substances.
Yeah, Mark Thompson a while ago on 360 said that Gazz is very funky - in his preparation, training and the way he lives his life

Bomber said that he took the approach of him just letting him do his own thing, such was the quality of what he produced on the field

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can you imagine Eade's face though when he walls into the club and Gaz tells him he's not taking any pain killers. Would have been priceless.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can you imagine Eade's face though when he walls into the club and Gaz tells him he's not taking any pain killers. Would have been priceless.
"I don't do injections to play."

"What the hell do you mean?"

"My old man has had drug addiction issues. I've seen his life. I'm not putting needles into my arm. Like it or leave it".

"Get well soon, Gaz..."

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Joey D takes a mark but gets a clip, starts bleeding, somehow manages to avoid being sent off for the blood rule until after his kick.. lol