• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Collingwood, prior to the last game against St Kilda, had a very ordinary record against the Sainters. The big issue is whether they have someone who can go with a fit Riewoldt. He's been the thorn in their side so many times over the past couple of years, but due to injury has been a non-entity in both games this year - one where he got injured, the other where he'd just returned.

Ben Reid's the obvious choice I guess, be a massive day for him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just got back from an intense weekend of cricket and am stuffed. Well done to the Pies, went to the game, spent most of the time in the Frank Grey. Collingwood's numbers were just everywhere, always had more at the ball, but also would have more wherever the next kick went to. I think how well they play the 'G will be a big tangible in who wins.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I've been commenting on their ability to get numbers to the contest ever since the game. Was phenominal.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh, and thanks to Tim Lane for jumping on our ashes, just to try and cover up what a dick he made of himself earlier in the season.

Craig

World Traveller
AFL grand final day was way better when they had the TAC cup, then the ressies and then the seniors all on the one day.
Definitely agree. At least they've stopped having the ****s from Australian Idol on.
It's good to see rugby league does do something right. Now please bear with my ignorance, what would happen if the scores were level at full-time, do you just play another quarter and whoever is leading wins?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's good to see rugby league does do something right. Now please bear with my ignorance, what would happen if the scores were level at full-time, do you just play another quarter and whoever is leading wins?
Replayed next week.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, they may have the midfielders for it (Hayes and Montagna in particular) but Lyon most certainly doesn't coach wet weather footy.

My predictions:
Brownlow: Swan (Ablett will come a LOT closer than the bookies predict)
Premiership: St Kilda
Norm Smith: Lenny Hayes
Uhhhh that.

Putting money on:
1. Ablett on the Brownlow, hedging at about Rnd 11 when he's winning and the odds plummet, cos I think Swan will start closing after the half-way mark and eventually take over.
2. Putting money on St Kilda, St Kilda/Hayes and St Kilda/Riewoldt

St Kilda are paying $3.1, as if I could resist that.

oh and and Collingwood/Leigh Brown :ph34r:

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just got back from an intense weekend of cricket and am stuffed. Well done to the Pies, went to the game, spent most of the time in the Frank Grey. Collingwood's numbers were just everywhere, always had more at the ball, but also would have more wherever the next kick went to. I think how well they play the 'G will be a big tangible in who wins.
Yeah, if the game was played at Ettihad, Saints would deserve favouritism instead of the reverse.

Said this on BF, but for all the obituaries that have been made for Geelong since Friday, they've been a magnificent club over the past four years and an absolute ornament to the game. Been a pleasure to watch them do their thing (apart from against us, esp. in 07), and with the way Costa, Cook and Thompson have that club set up now, they'll be a power going forward, no doubt. If we do win on Saturday, it will mean a lot more for having beaten you guys to get there - ie. it would be a bit hollow to win the flag this year and not beat Geelong to have done so.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just watched the Jim Stynes doco. Hell of a guy - best thoughts going out to him. Not sure about the coffee enema, but you'd do whatever you reckoned would help I guess.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Uhhhh that.

Putting money on:
1. Ablett on the Brownlow, hedging at about Rnd 11 when he's winning and the odds plummet, cos I think Swan will start closing after the half-way mark and eventually take over.
2. Putting money on St Kilda, St Kilda/Hayes and St Kilda/Riewoldt

St Kilda are paying $3.1, as if I could resist that.

oh and and Collingwood/Leigh Brown :ph34r:
Re: #1, he's $1.90 to lead after Rd 11, so as a 50/50 proposition it's already pretty widely speculated that such a curve will eventuate (Ablett early lead, Swan winning the medal). Where you will be in serious trouble is if Swan is right up there with Ablett at around about that time, because the backers will be all over Swan.

Good luck tomorrow night though. Is it live on TV?

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, if the game was played at Ettihad, Saints would deserve favouritism instead of the reverse.

Said this on BF, but for all the obituaries that have been made for Geelong since Friday, they've been a magnificent club over the past four years and an absolute ornament to the game. Been a pleasure to watch them do their thing (apart from against us, esp. in 07), and with the way Costa, Cook and Thompson have that club set up now, they'll be a power going forward, no doubt. If we do win on Saturday, it will mean a lot more for having beaten you guys to get there - ie. it would be a bit hollow to win the flag this year and not beat Geelong to have done so.
Who are you on BF?

Just watched the Jim Stynes doco. Hell of a guy - best thoughts going out to him. Not sure about the coffee enema, but you'd do whatever you reckoned would help I guess.
Damn, hope they replay this.

p.s you're a flog.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Re: #1, he's $1.90 to lead after Rd 11, so as a 50/50 proposition it's already pretty widely speculated that such a curve will eventuate (Ablett early lead, Swan winning the medal). Where you will be in serious trouble is if Swan is right up there with Ablett at around about that time, because the backers will be all over Swan.
Yep, I've thought about that. However I still reckon punters on Betfair will be irrational and jump on Gablett if he has a decent lead.
Good luck tomorrow night though. Is it live on TV?
Thanks mate. Yep, always live in Melb.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also I'm putting money on Judd to make top 5 at around $3. Reckon he had one of his best years ever, and definitely his best since 2006. Hoping that works out, even if he did miss the first 3 rounds.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who are you on BF?

Damn, hope they replay this.

p.s you're a flog.
I'm a flog on general principles or because I questioned the enema? I'm not telling you who I am on BF, you can work it out yourself... :p

They are replaying it, late on Tuesday night I think.

EDIT: 10:30pm on Wednesday actually, Australia wide. Well worth a watch, humbling stuff.

Jeez, Channel 9's website is a piece of ****. Anytime you try to search something it takes you to the general "Bing" page, and it's schedule for tonight in Melbourne (yes, I changed the option to say I was in Victoria) didn't have the Stynes special on it, after they've been plugging the hell out of it all week. Then I tried to look it up in their program list, found it, and got the message that that page was no longer functioning. Had to go to The Reach Foundation's site to find out when it would be on ffs.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon that Swan will do really well early, he was playing good footy but Ablett was always favourite just because he's Ablett for quite a bit of it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You reckon Vic? I reckon Ablett's first 5-8 rounds were some of the most dominant football I've seen in a while.

Him winning last year definitely did have a factor, but I reckon his year is actually slightly being underrated. Should also be noted he's comfortably kicked more goals than ever as well.

Swan deserves favouritism, but still reckon Ablett could run him damn close.