• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saints aren't good in the wet though. If it doesn't bucket down they're well in it.

Plus they have Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt.
What makes you think St Kilda aren't good in the wet? I'd say they're a better chance if it does rain. They have harder bodies in the midfield.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See Benchy, I would have agreed with you previously, but in recent times I've re-assessed my opinion.

The amount of times they play at the Dome in near-perfect conditions ensures their game plan is based on dry weather footy.

And the way they played recently in big games where it was wet:
1. Grand Final 2009, where most people agree they'd have won if it wasn't wet
2. Qualifying Final this year, where once it rained after half time Geelong came storming back
3. In the first half last night (as Ross Lyon said, they played dry weather footy in wet weather conditions)

... makes me think my initial assessment of their wet weather ability was wrong.

That being said, saying they 'aren't good' in the wet is probably a bit too far. And Geelong being awesome in the wet probably is a factor as well.

However they lose their two key strengths in the wet:
1. Riewoldt's huge influence (he can play in the wet, but obviously as key position he's not as dominant)
2. Their well structured backline and zone. Falls away when it's just bomb it long footy.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In fact the more I analyse their backline the more I think it's not suited to the wet. Fisher, Gilbert, Geary etc.

benchmark00

Wasn't is gooching down rain all day leading up to the game against Geelong though? So the first half was still wet weather football and they outplayed them.

It's more of a mindset than anything else. If it rains and they set themselves to play wet weather football they'd be fine. Teams get into trouble when they can't adapt with the conditions. St Kilda are more than capable and I reckon the last thing Collingwood want is a game with a heap of stopages.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah was dry before that game. Was supposed to be wet for the Coll vs. Dogs game.

Let's hope you'r right though in any case. Saturday says 'possible shower' and only 30% chance of rain. So shouldn't be too big an issue yet.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Jono must've had the Port Adelaide game in mind when he said that, certainly came as a surprise to me too but I can see where you're coming from.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nick Dal Santo this morning pretty much said they game style doesn't work as well in the wet. Will be interesting.

Will be interesting tracking the 1001 stories, rumours and theories re: Luke Ball and Dal Santo's fitness this week. Fingers crossed Ball is fit.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Partisanship aside, jeez I love GF week in Melbourne (obviously love it more when the Pies are IN the GF). Brownlow night, everyone from both teams wearing their scarfs around town, footyshows on high rotation on the telly, the Parade, boozy long lunch on Friday, then the day itself. Best week in the best city on Earth.

What are people's predictions for the week? My (totally unbiased) predictions are:
Brownlow: Dane Swan
GF: Collingwood
Norm Smith: Nick Maxwell

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nick Dal Santo this morning pretty much said they game style doesn't work as well in the wet.
Yeah, they may have the midfielders for it (Hayes and Montagna in particular) but Lyon most certainly doesn't coach wet weather footy.

My predictions:
Brownlow: Swan (Ablett will come a LOT closer than the bookies predict)
Premiership: St Kilda
Norm Smith: Lenny Hayes

Matt79

Global Moderator
My Mum was at that game. So this is personal for me. You bag out the Pies for their GF history (fair enough too, unforunately) but the fact that that is the only time the Saints have managed to get over the line says plenty about them as well.

As does the fact that the haters are all reaching for something that happened before anyone on either list was born as some kind of precedent.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
My Mum was at that game. So this is personal for me. You bag out the Pies for their GF history (fair enough too, unforunately) but the fact that that is the only time the Saints have managed to get over the line says plenty about them as well.

As does the fact that the haters are all reaching for something that happened before anyone on either list was born as some kind of precedent.
I can go back to more recent grand final losses if you want.....:ph34r:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Weekend just got better as Claremont got done by a point in the WAFL Grand Final.

Andrew Krakouer with one of the best Grand Final games though. 40 touches and four goals including the winner. Absolute certainty to get picked up, but he'd be wasted at West Coast if he went there.

Quality crowd too.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Weekend just got better as Claremont got done by a point in the WAFL Grand Final.

Andrew Krakouer with one of the best Grand Final games though. 40 touches and four goals including the winner. Absolute certainty to get picked up, but he'd be wasted at West Coast if he went there.

Quality crowd too.
How about Coniglio! 4 goals in a GF when you're 16 years old is gonna turn some heads.

GC unlikely to part with Krakouer now too, which is a bit disappointing.

howardj

International Coach
Partisanship aside, jeez I love GF week in Melbourne (obviously love it more when the Pies are IN the GF). Brownlow night, everyone from both teams wearing their scarfs around town, footyshows on high rotation on the telly, the Parade, boozy long lunch on Friday, then the day itself. Best week in the best city on Earth.

What are people's predictions for the week? My (totally unbiased) predictions are:
Brownlow: Dane Swan
Norm Smith: Nick Maxwell
Unfortunately no Brownlow on up here until 11:30pm. We don't really get the GF week experience up here as such. However, Saturday is an awesome day - builds into an awesome crescendo. It's just a great event.

Brownlow: Swan
Norm: Didak

benchmark00

AFL grand final day was way better when they had the TAC cup, then the ressies and then the seniors all on the one day.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, they may have the midfielders for it (Hayes and Montagna in particular) but Lyon most certainly doesn't coach wet weather footy.

My predictions:
Brownlow: Swan (Ablett will come a LOT closer than the bookies predict)
Premiership: St Kilda
Norm Smith: Lenny Hayes
That's what you say, but where are you putting your money?

howardj

International Coach
The way I look at it, at the moment Collingwood you'd think may beat the Saints 7 time out of 10.

However, as Ross Lyon said, each finals game is a 'random chance, small sample'.

Collingwood do look great at the moment though. The Saints have really improved in recent weeks. If anything though, the GF may have come a few weeks too early for them. They look to be running into some really fine form but, from my untrained eye, will be a better team in a couple of weeks if anything.