• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
My updated sheet after Round 7. I've now added total marks, as well as those contested and inside 50 to it, and a comparison feature that tells you where each team ranks on particular stats. I think the marks inside 50 against stat is one of the most telling because anything 12 or above seems to translate into a loss - unless it's a very high scoring game, of course.

Interesting to note that St Kilda recorded the 4th lowest disposal efficiency of the season last night, suggesting that Carlton's harassment was pretty good.

Essendon came close to breaking their season record for tackles that they set last week, except this week they did it in a losing cause. At 81 tackles a game they're averaging 7 more than the next best side, Port, and yet they are still languishing on two wins. Their I50 and marks I50 counts are both above average, but are one of the least accurate sides in the comp. Is it just a case of kicking straight equalling more wins for the Dons?

Also interesting to note that West Coast have the third highest inside 50 count for the league, and yet the third worst marks inside 50 count. Proof if ever you needed it that the midfield is truly awful.

And one for the punters, Collingwood have now played two games in a row that have scored around 250 points. This week they head to Subiaco, one of the highest scoring grounds, to take on Freo, one of the other highest scoring teams this year. My formula (which I still haven't perfected but is close enough to what the bookies use) says 194+ is about the go but if they go defensive and put up 190 I'd be taking the overs. Keeping in mind when Freo beat Geelong there a few weeks ago it turned into a shootout with both sides clearing 100 points easily.

Attachments

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Essendon came close to breaking their season record for tackles that they set last week, except this week they did it in a losing cause. At 81 tackles a game they're averaging 7 more than the next best side, Port, and yet they are still languishing on two wins. Their I50 and marks I50 counts are both above average, but are one of the least accurate sides in the comp. Is it just a case of kicking straight equalling more wins for the Dons?

Can't tackle if you have the ball.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't tackle if you have the ball.
Sorry, I forgot to reiterate that they are weighted averages. In lieu of an easy time in possession stat I weight them off disposals.

But if you're talking about purely winning or losing the tackle count, you can clearly see that sides winning the tackle count tend to win the game as well.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't having his best game on Saturday imo, got plenty but butchered it a fair bit (tho far from alone in this). Will be a massive loss, our injury list is growing longer and longer, Ben Ross having a couple of operations on his groin.

**** we need to beat Adelaide this week though, never beaten them under Craig i don't think.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
When the **** will Robbie Tarrant play? :(
His form hasn't been the best for Werribee by reports, though their policy of playing 4-5 tall forwards isn't exaclty helping. Don't think we are concerned about fast tracking him, he's had pretty much no football for about 3 years so just playing is good for him.

Nathan O'Keefe is likely to get his debut before him, possibly this week.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What a **** DT buy. I pride myself on my DT picks, and this has been really poor from me.

Not impressed with myself at all.

benchmark00

They're teaching Tarrant to play a defensive role, so if they persist with that he won't be ready for a while I'd say.

Should be seeing Pratt back in the ones this week with Ed Lower probably not too far away from getting another crack.

The Dish is 2-3 away.

benchmark00

Read a report the other day saying he got moved to defence. Will try and find a link if i could bf.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Think that just means he layed a few tackles

27. Robbie Tarrant:
Had a pretty quiet game. Got about 4 marks and kicked 1.2. Had a few handpasses and a good shephard to set up a goal in the last qtr but was nothing spectacular. Was hard on him though as every time that he was leading the kick would be either a full on **** kick or one in the air where its easy so spoil. In the end he had to start leading up the ground to get a kick.
27.Tarrant- another game where he struggled to be effective and was overshadowed by O'Keefe. Finished with 11 disposals, 4 marks, 1 hit-out, 4 tackles, 2 blocks and kicked 1.2