• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They absolutely can get him. Without the changes in the Vets list, I don't think they can get him.But I think without the COLA they still absolutely get him. The entire worth of the COLA is 900 odd K. Every single cent of that is not going to Buddy or Tippet.

benchmark00

Of course they can't get him, don't be ridiculous. At least 450k, for arguments sake (it's more likely more) is going to Franklin. How can you say Franklin would've been happy to sign for Sydney for like 800k a year?

Spikey

Of course they can't get him, don't be ridiculous. At least 450k, for arguments sake (it's more likely more) is going to Franklin. How can you say Franklin would've been happy to sign for Sydney for like 800k a year?
How have you worked this number out. I've worked out that AFL salary cap for this year is $9,530,500. 10% of that is $953,050. So that's the COLA. There is absolutely no reason to assume that the money is not divided amongst the players. There are 44 Swans players on the list. So the number is $21,660 per player. 21,600 over 9 years is 194,950. Not 450K. It's easy to assume that Buddy still would be moving to Sydney if that $194K over 9 years wasn't there.

And if you're saying that 450K of the annual COLA is going straight to Buddy, then well the Swans are probably in trouble for fraud, cause it's part of every Swans player's contract that they get their COLA money. It's also absurd to think your average manager wouldn't just do what I did and make sure their player gets that $21,660.

Last edited:

benchmark00

You're being naive if you think that's how contracts work. How many of the currently contracted players have 9 year deals? They don't work like you're saying they do.

Spikey

You're being naive if you think that's how contracts work. How many of the currently contracted players have 9 year deals? They don't work like you're saying they do.
0. What's your point? Maybe that's how the Swans got him? The incredibly long deal, not the 21K a year

benchmark00

**** sake, how do you not understand this? The existing players have cost of living in their contracts. In five years time those contracts don't exist any more. Then they will be able to give Franklin the entire 900k towards his yearly salary and deal with the players they need to contract with their primary cap.

Players don't have contracts which have the same value year in and year out. Some are front ended, some are back ended, some are constant throughout.

THEY ARE ONLY ABLE TO OFFER LANCE FRANKLIN 9 YEARS AT THAT VALUE DUE TO THE ALLOWANCE.

Is that clear enough for you?

Spikey

**** sake, how do you not understand this? The existing players have cost of living in their contracts. In five years time those contracts don't exist any more. Then they will be able to give Franklin the entire 900k towards his yearly salary and deal with the players they need to contract with their primary cap.

Players don't have contracts which have the same value year in and year out. Some are front ended, some are back ended, some are constant throughout.

THEY ARE ONLY ABLE TO OFFER LANCE FRANKLIN 9 YEARS AT THAT VALUE DUE TO THE ALLOWANCE.

Is that clear enough for you?
I just don't agree with your thesis. I think Franklin is a restricted free agent who wants to live in Sydney. I think without the COLA he would still go there. I don't think the COLA is a major part in Buddy wanting to go there non is the reason why Sydney can get him. It plays a part no doubt, but I don't think it plays a big part. I think the Vets list rule changes in the last two seasons have played bigger parts in allowing Sydney to get Buddy and Tippet. I think Sydney can absolutely get him without the COLA. The 9 year deal might be a scam to allow Buddy to get all of the COLA CASH. It might also be a way to ensure the Hawks don't match the contract offer and they back themselves to manage their salary cap

Spikey

Cale Hooker ‏@Hooksy26 4m
If Buddy goes to Sydney surely they will stop showing that replay of me chasing him down the wing?! @AFL360 #newjumper #newteam

Cale attempting to reach the heights of ajdude and benchmark00

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Why do the changes to the Vets list help them? They only have 5 vets next year (Goodes, Malceski,McVeigh, O'Keefe, LRT) so their total saving is about 550K - under the old agreement they would have had a third of Goodes, O'Keefe and LRT's salarys - maybe slightly less than 550K but nothing massive

benchmark00

Yes but it was half the wage. So say Goodes and O'Keefe were on a million combined.

That's 500k under the old system.

Now it's what, 550k combined?

Spikey

last season they had 6 vets so it was 600K. not sure if they can add another one or not this off-season, but equally, unsure if their two vets under the old rules would have taken up 1 million combined anyway. I def think it's created some cash. Not enough to cancel out Buddy of course