• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that was genuinely the dumbest football i've ever seen though, what the **** was bartel doing? should've rushed it instead of kicking it straight to hill, then rushed the kickout three or four times.
What was dumb was when Geelong started playing like there was 20 seconds left when there was four minutes left. Starting just bombing it super high and doesn't the guts. Needed composure.

That Stratton grab was a ripper.

Spikey

there was also the geelong player who tried to kick the ball off the ground as hard as he could while a bunch of hawks players stood in the way, dooming that strategy to failure

ajdude

International Coach
****, possible whitecross acl? how ****ing gutted would he be? **** it, who cares that geelong lost now, the poor bloke's gonna miss his second grand final.

Burgey

I still think the Barca-Real Madrid rivalry pretty much takes the cake. I recall Figo taking a corner for Real at Camp Nou after he'd defected and a pig's head being thrown at him.

benchmark00

Because close games are the only deciding factor in how good a sports rivalry is?

In any case, I'm not going to engage you, you're just plain wrong.
:laugh: How **** is this post?

But to be fair in the 2/3 years you've been following baseball and hence became an expert you probably think Yankees/Red Sox is better...

Over the past five years there hasn't been another sporting contest in the world that has consistently thrown up as many close, high quality matches. Coupled with the fact it's based on a real rivalry steaming from a final loss and a made up curse, it has all the elements.

The interest the match gets every time the teams play, with crowds consistently being 60,000+ and the match delivering on the expectations every single time means for me at the present time there is no better rivalry.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its actually a fairly interesting question as rivalries can be measured by a combination of hatred, close games, derbies, always making the finals against each other, player switching from one club to the other etc. If Benchy just changed it to 'in Australia' I'm sure most people would have found the claim more plausible.

In other news, I had money on Gunston, Jack paying $13, being first goal scorer.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yankees-Red Sox is awful at the moment, games all go for four and a half hours and both teams have been average for quite a while. But continue, please.

I'm not contending that this rivalry is amazing, in fact over the last few years the only AFL games I really watch consistently outside of Demons games are the Cats-Hawks games, but to declare it clearly the best rivalry in world sports isn't just wrong, you don't watch enough different sports in enough different countries to judge. There are so many sports rivalries out there that produce amazing quality and have been running for a hundred years, rivalries that are like street gangs with the way they're bred into kids when they're born. Burgey mentioned the Barcelona-Madrid rivalry, what about the Boca Juniors-River Plate matches in Argentina or hell, what about the City-United rivalry? The 2011-12 season is probably the greatest finish to any sporting league ever, City were 8 points behind with 6 games left, closed the gap (beating United along the way) and scored two goals in the last 3 minutes of the league season to snatch the title away from United (their first since 1968).

I'm not saying any of these rivalries are clearly better, but you can't declare one the best in the world. No one has the knowledge and diverse interest in enough different cultures and sporting competitions to declare this. Your post is just hyperbole, and you know it. You could've said "If there's a better sports rivalry out there I'd be surprised" or" this is by far my favourite sports rivalry at the moment, one of the best" or anything similar to that but you deliberately declared it the clear best, admittedly probably just to troll.

benchmark00

I don't recall saying clearly the best????

The point you bring up about hundreds of years of rivalry is absolutely irrelevant. That does not make it the best current sporting rivalry, culturally speaking it may be better, but from sporting prowess you're clearly wrong.

Lol at you mentioning united and city. You mean the two years city have been relevant and before that united dominating them? How is one close year all of a sudden a modern day epic??

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't recall saying clearly the best????
Haha. Okay, Mr. Pedantic.

The point you bring up about hundreds of years of rivalry is absolutely irrelevant. That does not make it the best current sporting rivalry, culturally speaking it may be better, but from sporting prowess you're clearly wrong.

Lol at you mentioning united and city. You mean the two years city have been relevant and before that united dominating them? How is one close year all of a sudden a modern day epic??
I can't be the only one thinking that these two lines directly contradict each other, can I?

benchmark00

There's a difference between going back 'hundreds of years' to see a rivalry based on cultural and political differences (like we do with Pakistan and India in cricket) and a rivalry based on half a decade of super close matches.

India and Pakistan hate each other more than most teams/groups of people, but at the moment their matches aren't great.

For the most part of what... the last fifty years... Man U and Man C have had something like one and half seasons of close battle? If they go down to the wire for the best part of the next decade, mixed with the rivalry between the two fans then I'd happily say it's a better sporting rivalry, but at the moment that close on field battle has gone for **** all period of time.

Hence why I said 'ATM'. In ten years time there's every chance One or both of Hawthorn and Geelong will be ****, and it will no longer be the best sporting rivalry.

Last edited: