• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Has he received clearance from the club to say this? Has to be the case. He's a very intelligent guy so he would not have spoken off the cuff. I cannot understand why you would make this admission during a WADA investigation.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
thought he displayed incredible ignorance about how the penalty regime works

just because you've "done nothing wrong" does not mean you won't be suspended

while ignorance can as i understand it reduce your penalty to six months, it cannot get you off entirely

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not slagging Watson btw, he's a fantastic player and seems to be a very good bloke too. It's just we always have the double standard when it applies to our own. If he was some Gringo cyclist who'd won Le Tour ahead of our Cadel we'd be all over this.

I don't have much drama accepting what he's said about it, but the rules as they stand are an ahtlete has responsibility for what they take, unless there's some extraordinary circumstances. I feel sorry for him, but I don't see how they can realistically let him keep it. I would also suspect, if they approached him about it, he'd likely relinquish it. He seems that sort of bloke.

howardj

International Coach
anyway, with that revelation, the whole investigation needs to be wrapped up before the finals, and suspensions meted out where appropriate, so that the integrity of the comp can be maintained

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not slagging Watson btw, he's a fantastic player and seems to be a very good bloke too. It's just we always have the double standard when it applies to our own. If he was some Gringo cyclist who'd won Le Tour ahead of our Cadel we'd be all over this.

I don't have much drama accepting what he's said about it, but the rules as they stand are an ahtlete has responsibility for what they take, unless there's some extraordinary circumstances. I feel sorry for him, but I don't see how they can realistically let him keep it. I would also suspect, if they approached him about it, he'd likely relinquish it. He seems that sort of bloke.
Gringo means white person from an English speaking country.

howardj

International Coach

Sad on a number of levels, particularly the fact that he will forever be recorded in the Brownlow annals as the guy who had his medal stripped because of drugs

While the circumstances surrounding the taking of the drugs (namely, the negligance of his employer) won't be recorded, and will eventually fade from memory

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They won't strip him. You watch. As I said all along, there will be no player bans, Hird will keep his job and Jobe will keep his Brownlow. Its a disgrace but I have no doubt about the fact that Essendon will get away with this. They'll only cop some large fine which they will easily be able to pay.

Spikey

Has he received clearance from the club to say this? Has to be the case. He's a very intelligent guy so he would not have spoken off the cuff. I cannot understand why you would make this admission during a WADA investigation.
I mean, the player interviews are done and the papers have all but confirmed that AOD was taken. It hasn't really changed anything.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I mean, the player interviews are done and the papers have all but confirmed that AOD was taken. It hasn't really changed anything.
Bomber is still to be interviewed, and its gotten the whole saga back in the headlines 2 days before their match on Thursday vs. West Coast. Yeah the negative attention has generally not affected them, but still.

It was unnecessary, and its very unconventional for such comments to be made during an investigation.

howardj

International Coach
They won't strip him. You watch. As I said all along, there will be no player bans, Hird will keep his job and Jobe will keep his Brownlow. Its a disgrace but I have no doubt about the fact that Essendon will get away with this. They'll only cop some large fine which they will easily be able to pay.
Re the suspensions....my understanding is that if you are a signatory to the WADA code, then where a breach is established WADA and ASADA can actually come in over the top of the sporting body and impose a greater suspension if they are not satisfied with the suspension given by the sporting body

Last edited:

Spikey

Re the suspensions....my understanding is that if you are a signatory to the WADA code, then where a breach is established WADA and ASADA can actually come in over the top of the sporting body and impose a greater suspension if they are not satisfied with the suspension given by the sporting body
Yep.

It seems Essendon's plan is to argue AOD wasn't illegal - they've never denied taking AOD, they've denied taking an illegal substance - which seems a pretty questionable road to go down but we'll see. There's no doubt Dank was aware about s0 though, so he probably had a plan.

But yeah this Watson thing just isn't a big deal to any Essendon supporter who has been keeping two eyes open about this saga, and it's presumably no big deal for the football club. We knew Watson had taken AOD because we knew the club had taken AOD and there's no reason to believe Watson hadn't taken AOD.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So its been said that Essendon told Jobe to make no comment and he went rogue. The club and Jobe's agents did not know he was going to say this.

The idea that this is nothing new is crazy Spikey. The whole football world has seen this as a huge revelation.