• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Harry O:

It doesn't matter if you are a school teacher, a doctor or even the president of my football club I will not tolerate racism, nor should we as a society. Im extremely disappointed with Eddie's comments and do not care what position he holds, I disagree with what came out his mouth this morning on radio. To me Eddie's comments are reflective of common attitudes that we as a society face. To me Australia is very casual with racism, I would argue that many people in this country would not think what Eddie or the 13yr old girl said last friday is 'bad'. In my opinion race relations in this country is systematically a national disgrace and we have a long way to go to reach a more harmonious and empathetic society.
Eddie is a dumb ****, this is an overreaction, well the second half anyway

howardj

International Coach
Harry O chimes in

The man who sadistically targetted another player on the basis of their physical characteristics

People have been murdered and tortured on the basis of their race

But Harry O wants to trivialise and piggy back on that

My sister was in tears every day of high school because people who sadisitcslly singled her out for her most obvious characteristic

Harry O would have sadistically abused my sister

#ashamed

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Hate people who give into this crap like Ed is now

He is a raging racist, is he?

Racism is a serious charge

Use it loosely and its loses its power

howardj

International Coach
Weak people who don't actually care about racism, but rather making a name for themself, zero in on this kind of thing

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Eddie has not given into beig called a raging racist just like Sheedy hasn't. Wtf are you on about? He has admitted that he said something wrong and coming from an influential person is even worse.

Do you understand that simply not meaning it is not a defence because it shouldn't be said and if you allow such comments like this it becomes more and more common.

Those calling Eddie or Sheedy a racist are wrong and overreacting. But they have said things that were wrong, and McGuire's was much much worse considering what had occurred in the previous few days.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yes and more so the national disgrace part of it
You must be fortunate not to have seen instances of it day in and day out. I must say I've seen plenty of it, and not just decades back.

Anyway, I'm a fairly comfortable, middle class white bloke. I haven't had to deal with it, but I've seen plenty of it and have probably been guilty of it myself when I was younger. It seems people from other backgrounds have a different experience.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member

So are you suggesting there's no racial basis to Eddie saying Goodes should be promoting King Kong then...? Like he could just as easily have said, say, Barry Hall?

Don't really get what you're arguing.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
You must be fortunate not to have seen instances of it day in and day out. I must say I've seen plenty of it, and not just decades back.

Anyway, I'm a fairly comfortable, middle class white bloke. I haven't had to deal with it, but I've seen plenty of it and have probably been guilty of it myself when I was younger. It seems people from other backgrounds have a different experience.
I'm not saying it doesn't exist but Harry O is pretty much saying the majority of Australians are racist, which i disagree with.

morgieb

Mixed round this time. Somewhat of an all-or-nothing round, and there were some good, some **** scores.

vic_orthdox 7
Riggins 7
Spikey 7
alternative 6
benchmark00 6
BoyBrumby 6
superkingdave 6
morgieb 5
Jono 5
howardj 5
ajdude 4

Samuel Vimes 3

1. morgieb 59.5
2. alternative 58.5
3. benchmark00 57.3
4=. ajdude 56.3
4=. Jono 56.3
6. howardj 56.2
7. vic_orthdox 55.3
8. BoyBrumby 55.1
9. Riggins 52.3
10. superkingdave 52.2
11. Samuel Vimes 49.2
12. Spikey 48.2

Very close so far. Unlike the NRL, the winner is a complete mystery ats.

morgieb

Brisbane Lions v Collingwood
Carlton v GWS Giants
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Geelong v Gold Coast
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Melbourne v Hawthorn
North Melbourne v St Kilda
West Coast Eagles v Richmond

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Carlton v GWS Giants
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Geelong v Gold Coast
Melbourne v Hawthorn

morgieb

Carlton v GWS Giants
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Geelong v Gold Coast
Melbourne v Hawthorn
And Freo in the Adelaide v Fremantle game.

morgieb

So for a new tipping thing:

Adelaide v Fremantle
Carlton v GWS Giants
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Geelong v Gold Coast
Melbourne v Hawthorn