Page 687 of 1134 FirstFirst ... 187587637677685686687688689697737787 ... LastLast
Results 10,291 to 10,305 of 17007
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: A.F.L. Thread II

  1. #10291
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    League's way simpler, tbf.

    40/20s aside, one of its main selling points is that it's so easy to pick up for the uninitiated. The senior rugby code is a lot more spectator friendly now, but the cliche used to be "Union is for the players; league is for the fans".

    Aussie Rules can be a little daunting to outsiders. The lack of an offside line is the most alien concept to anyone raised on football codes with them. Other quirks seem quaint (no kick offs, bouncing the ball every 15m, handpasses, free kicks for marks, etc) but one adapts.
    That's saying nothing about whether League would be easier to pick up if you've never played it. There'd be a shedload of mental adjustment/learning required in either sport (and I'm willing to admit AFL would have League covered there, though it would be closer than the regulars in CWAFL will admit) and the skill adjustment would be massive in both sports, but the sheer physicality of League shouldn't just be shrugged off. Physically the adjustment would be far far harder going to League, but a player would make the adjustment in either sport if their heart was in it (the Swans have an ex RU player don't they?). Folau's clearly wasn't.

    How you value the emphasis on different disciplines in each sport probably determines which side of the fence you're going to sit on in this discussion, which is why blanket proclamations by punters who have likely never played either sport (let alone both) should be taken with a very healthy pinch of salt to put it nicely.

    Fair enough I could have put it a bit nicer in my earlier post.

    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    lol gotta be crazy if anyone thinks it's easier to pick up AFL than NRL late in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Because I have a brain

    If you think league is harder to pick up than AFL then you dont
    Lol. Bastions of impartiality right here.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  2. #10292
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    Why are you seeing this as a "which is a better sport" argument?

    Plenty of soccer fans (for e.g.) would acknowledge that AFL would be harder to pick up than soccer. They would not believe though that its the better sport.

    One of AFL's strengths and at the same time weaknesses is its complexity. It is often a barrier to getting in new fans, as there is so much going on and a lot of technical rules. I think its fair to say that out of all the football codes AFL would be one of the hardest to pick up.

  3. #10293
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Why are you seeing this as a "which is a better sport" argument?

    Plenty of soccer fans (for e.g.) would acknowledge that AFL would be harder to pick up than soccer. They would not believe though that its the better sport.

    One of AFL's strengths and at the same time weaknesses is its complexity. It is often a barrier to getting in new fans, as there is so much going on and a lot of technical rules. I think its fair to say that out of all the football codes AFL would be one of the hardest to pick up.
    I haven't once framed it as a "superior sport" argument (which is an argument nearly 100% subjective anyway). The original comment was in reference to which sport would be easier to pick up later in life for a professional athlete. Not in reference to picking up or understanding the game as a fan. Completely different question.

    I just think comparing the challenges a player would have to deal with swapping codes (ignoring RU/RL swaps) are impossible to understand. How do you compare understanding how to read a game of AFL vs taking the impact of several car crashes in a game of RL vs learning how to keep a round ball glued to your feet while dribbling in soccer? They're all such different skillsets, and which one you place the most value on is likely to go back to that subjective question of which sport you value more in general.

  4. #10294
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    No its not necessarily relevant to which sport you value more in general. I understand your point regarding "picking up the game as a fan vs. picking it up to be able to player later in life" is a different debate, I concede that. But I still don't understand why you are so staunchly defending rugby league as more difficult to pick up on than AFL as if arguing that AFL is more difficult means we are saying it is better (it is better by the way, but not for that reason #trollface). You are talking about impartiality of the people posting in this thread, so you are suggesting that because Howard thinks its harder to play AFL he thinks its better. If you think its a subjective thing that's fine, but then calling people biased is suggesting they are linking complexity and difficulty with better. Not always the case. I think some sports would be damn difficult to pick up later - ice hockey for one. Yet I don't watch it and have very little interest in it as a sport (where the **** is the puck??????????)


  5. #10295
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,492
    lol cartlon & brad green
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  6. #10296
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    But I still don't understand why you are so staunchly defending rugby league as more difficult to pick up on than AFL as if arguing that AFL is more difficult means we are saying it is better (it is better by the way, but not for that reason #trollface). You are talking about impartiality of the people posting in this thread, so you are suggesting that because Howard thinks its harder to play AFL he thinks its better. If you think its a subjective thing that's fine, but then calling people biased is suggesting they are linking complexity and difficulty with better. Not always the case. I think some sports would be damn difficult to pick up later - ice hockey for one. Yet I don't watch it and have very little interest in it as a sport (where the **** is the puck??????????)
    The bits in bold are all things I never suggested. (the bit in brackets is just pure fantasy ) All I'm saying is that the sports would all have different things that would require massive adjustments, and frankly it's impossible (for us at least) to evaluate which adjustments would be "more difficult" and therefore weighted more heavily.

    The impartiality comment was a response to the not so veiled references to my intelligence and/or sanity.

  7. #10297
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    Backing Mick's judgement over yours ****.

    Edit: @ Spikey.

  8. #10298
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Backing Mick's judgement over yours ****.

    Edit: @ Spikey.
    lol spelling judgment with an extra e.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  9. #10299
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,269
    Get a HD TV ya ****
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  10. #10300
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Yeah I mean it would be bloody tough picking up the skill of running straight and getting tackled. Definitely don't have that sort of stuff in AFL at all.

  11. #10301
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Backing Mick's judgement over yours ****.

    Edit: @ Spikey.
    Mick Malthouse has never been wrong tbf. Just ask him!

  12. #10302
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    lol spelling judgment with an extra e.
    It's not a legal judgment ya dickwad.

  13. #10303
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,492
    you'll have to answer to jesus

  14. #10304
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Get a HD TV ya ****
    Nah get ****ed, tell me where the puck is.

  15. #10305
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    you'll have to answer to jesus
    You know what'd be hard to pick up late in life? You, cos you're fat.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread
    By vic_orthdox in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1338
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 02:08 AM
  2. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  3. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •