• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

People bitch about the AFL and the way its run (umpires, tribunal, new clubs coming in etc), but I have no doubt the game is in better shape now than it was 10 years ago.
I blame him for mickey-mouse free kicks that have turned our game into netball without the glams. Him and Kevin Bartlett.

pasag

RTDAS
I'd be surprised if anyone in the country was watching the footy show while the doco was on. Even the footy show blokes were watching the doco when they could.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did play reserves footy, which is more than the average **** off the street. And they played the Gatting ball and the Swanneh one as well, so I was happy.
For starters, Warne played u/19's for St Kilda. Secondly, what does having played u/19's in 1988 have anything to do on having knowledge on AFL in 2010?

If I wanted to watch a cricket show I'd watch a cricket show. What a complete waste of a pannelist. Sure, have him in the crowd and interview him for a couple of minutes, but **** me, seriously...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I thought he got a single, or two, games in for the reserves?

Happy to be corrected by the obsessive muttering man ranting about it. ;)

howardj

International Coach
I think the party to emerge out of this with the least credit was the West Coast Eagles. How they could let a young guy run amok for all those years, knowing what they must have known, reflects pretty poorly on them. It's obviously hard when it's one of your star players, however surely they could have sat him out earlier than 2007 (maybe during their lean years from 2001-2003?) and got him some help.

I didn't find the documentary really a 'cautionary tale' as such. More of a life story, which I nonetheless found interesting/entertaining.

Matt79

Global Moderator
But calling it 'a cautionary tale' let's you get away with reaping huge ratings by titalating the audience with the subject's illegal activities. (attacking Seven for profiting from it, not Cuz for filming it). If 7 really wanted to do this as a community service then donate the money from the ads during it to a relevant charity.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think there's some truth to that. How was there ever going to be a level of trust between Collingwood and Cousins once he found out that they'd used a private investigator.

FTR, family friend was the PI.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Was it incumbant on Collingwood to build trust between themselves and Cousins, prior to any contract being signed, or to make the right decision for their football club? It's not as if their suspicions at the time have been shown to be completely unreasonable. They had no obligations to Cousins at the time, and used a different set of criteria than Richmond. What has proven overall to be a success for Richmond doesn't change whether Collingwood's decision was a good one.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Basically Cousins took drugs, had an amazing time, won a Brownlow and a premiership anyways and got picked up by random blondes at a US airport.
Lol.

Ben Cousins: where did it all go wrong?

I think the party to emerge out of this with the least credit was the West Coast Eagles. How they could let a young guy run amok for all those years, knowing what they must have known, reflects pretty poorly on them. It's obviously hard when it's one of your star players, however surely they could have sat him out earlier than 2007 (maybe during their lean years from 2001-2003?) and got him some help.

I didn't find the documentary really a 'cautionary tale' as such. More of a life story, which I nonetheless found interesting/entertaining.
Think that's the key. I know eff all about the internal machinations of early-noughties WCE, but I think generally lots of sports clubs ignore their star performers' more recondite predilections whilst they're still turning out the goods on the field. Genius writes its own rules and all that.

There's a certain ex-Man Utd player (massive world profile) who has a fondness for those ladies who charge for ***ual services (alleged, but well documented) and a blind eye was generally turned because he was probably the best player in the world at the time.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Got close but just couldn't get over the line. Will probably play Sydney next week, which is a winnable game, even though they'll be favourites. Happy we don't play the Hawks, they really have had the wood on us in recent years.