• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Holy **** at Mick's comments On The Couch. Basically just told Eddie to gagf he ain't ever coming over for dinner.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Literally every AFL show - 360, On The Couch, Footy Classified - all extremely surprised Thomas got off.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i thought he might be in trouble for the whole off the ball bump thing, but not the head clash thing (i had no idea how that was gonna be judged and i'm not really sure how anyone could have. it was a fairly unique incident). heath hocking got done for a off the ball bump to the body last season, but obviously they ruled the bump was in play so that wasn't happening to thomas.

howardj

International Coach
Gary Lyon taking a swing at the Dees in the paper today, and their coaching staff

The man who appointed Dean Bailey ahead of Sheedy, and who helped appoint Scott Styris

Riggins

International Captain
the bump rule is so much less **** than the 'dont attack the ball, you might touch someones shins' rule

benchmark00

the bump rule is so much less **** than the 'dont attack the ball, you might touch someones shins' rule
Yeah that rule sucks balls.

And upon seeing the Lenny one on the weekend, I think I was mistaken saying that it should have been a free kick. There definitely wasn't enough force to warrant a free under the rule.

I think the worrying trend that was emerging last year was the sliding with the feet, that has no place in the game. Yeah head first can also be dangerous, but that's football. There has to be a middle ground between protecting the players and acknowledging that it's a rough sport.

Punishing an incidental, unforeseeable clash of heads is not that middle ground.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even with the head first, if they really want to take out the slide head first (even though I don't think it is necessary) then they should just outlaw the sliding. The ones that get shown when justifying the rules are where the player has slid (whether feet or head) into or under the players legs. However it is being policed whereby if you are low on the ground and your head touches their knee/shin if you lunge forward to pick up the ball you are ****ed.

Burgey

Yeah that rule sucks balls.

And upon seeing the Lenny one on the weekend, I think I was mistaken saying that it should have been a free kick. There definitely wasn't enough force to warrant a free under the rule.

I think the worrying trend that was emerging last year was the sliding with the feet, that has no place in the game. Yeah head first can also be dangerous, but that's football. There has to be a middle ground between protecting the players and acknowledging that it's a rough sport.

Punishing an incidental, unforeseeable clash of heads is not that middle ground.
Agree sliding with the legs is dodgy **** and should be outlawed. With the head clash one, if they rule the ball is in play then I presume the standard response will be to let it go, but if it's late then you might cop a spell because the head clash is incidental to an illegally late hit?

benchmark00

Agree sliding with the legs is dodgy **** and should be outlawed. With the head clash one, if they rule the ball is in play then I presume the standard response will be to let it go, but if it's late then you might cop a spell because the head clash is incidental to an illegally late hit?
Every year the AFL release a DVD to the clubs showing what is and is not allowed. They give examples. On the DVD they show how to bump, basically don't leave the ground, don't make contact with the head during the bump and tuck the arm in. Basically everything Thomas did.

The rule has always been that the ball must be within 5 metres. So the people who will get done when there's a head clash will be the ones who leave the ground. If it's 150m off the ball then you'll get done with rough conduct because a player can't realistically expect contact, whereas if it's within 5m you can.

ajdude

International Coach
ahhhh i can't watch insider anymore since someone pointed out the whole "back of the head camera angle" thing, i can't unsee it