• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah its grey and gloomy in Sydney right now. Just like the NRL's future.
Lol, you can't kill rugby league with a tactical nuclear weapon mate. It won't die. It's tried to kill itself off so many times but failed.

benchmark00

The NRL will probably always exist, but the margin between the two sports will grow further and further apart.

In 3/4/5 years time the Suns & Giants will be relatively successful (can't promise a premiership but they should be around finals) which will cause a boom in those areas like there was with Sydney in 1996.

In that time, the future of the Titans is not assured and there's always question marks over the viability of the number of teams in Sydney.

The NRL ideally need to try and capture long term ground in AFL areas, but they can't because they're hamstrung by not being in the position able to take the large losses poor performing clubs with no significant supporter bases return for the league like the AFL can.

So we'll see NRL's market share get smaller in Queensland and Sydney while the traditional homes of AFL (VIC, TAS, SA, WA & NT) will remain largely untouched.

And that isn't a biased assessment, it's just a true outlook on it.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach

i think the afl has done really well, theres a lot of money around and incentive not only to make it to the top, but even in second tier competitions. aussie rules is encroaching not just on the other footy codes but even on cricket - we lost players at the end of the season from finals in our cricket club so they could play trial matches.

there's no doubt in coverage, money and professionalism the afl has taken a jump on the pack, but the nrl especially has so much room for improvement that its almost certain they will (and so will the lower tiers) catch up.

not so confident about cricket though

benchmark00

That's great, they will make NRL more enjoyable for the people who already watch it...

The point is that the AFL aren't interested in bogans like you who like NRL and have done so from birth. They really aren't trying to influence them to love AFL. The battle is the next generation, and the fact that this generation will grow up in areas where their local teams (Giants and Suns) will be really successful, whereas what are the gaurantees that Titans will exist (nevermind be successful) or the teams in Western Sydney will be successful?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, you can't kill rugby league with a tactical nuclear weapon mate. It won't die. It's tried to kill itself off so many times but failed.
Didn't say it'd die. It'll be gloomy though.

Already the fans are raging at someone with some actual business acumen running the game.

uvelocity

International Coach
That's great, they will make NRL more enjoyable for the people who already watch it...

The point is that the AFL aren't interested in bogans like you who like NRL and have done so from birth. They really aren't trying to influence them to love AFL. The battle is the next generation, and the fact that this generation will grow up in areas where their local teams (Giants and Suns) will be really successful, whereas what are the gaurantees that Titans will exist (nevermind be successful) or the teams in Western Sydney will be successful?
well it's clear you equate strength and dominance to boganism, so for that compliment i thank you. in regard to the suns & giants you've made a leap to them being a guaranteed success hastily on the field and off. the gold coast is a graveyard for all sporting teams because there is so much to do here, being cooped up in a stadium for hours is way down on the list unless the team you actually support is playing them (everyone here is from somewhere else)

western sydney is more under threat from soccer picking up its game than afl

benchmark00

Yes I'm sure people would much rather be at the beach and Dream World during winter than watch a game of football.

They've had unsuccessful franchises because they've been run poorly, not because there 'are other things to do'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There is apparently nothing to do in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

I would add Adelaide to that, but uvelocity would be right in suggesting there is nothing to do there except watch football.

Come at me Top Cat.

morgieb

I think there's no doubt that the AFL has better managed expansion than the NRL tbh.

How much inroads have the Storm made in Melbourne, ftr?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Depends on what you mean by "inroads".

They've helped develop a rugby league culture of which there was basically none beforehand, union had a far greater following.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think the Storm have been a success, but I don't know the financials. Mine is purely from an anecdotal point of view.

On the whole Melbourne is just ridiculously sports crazy though, so it'd be easier for a non-AFL team to invade there and at least get some traction than perhaps another city like Gold Coast or Western Sydney.

Spikey

Mark Robinson ‏@Robbo_heraldsun 3h
So, traditional little paper says Rowe is playing for blues and new, innovative little paper says he isn't. is he playing or not?

The Age got it right ftr, Sam Rowe will not be playing #robbotastin