• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Redbacks

International Captain
AD clarified the AFL take on thw Melb situation pretty clearly for mine.

Given the position of control of the coach, and based on what they could prove, the 'club' wasn't responsible for tanking. But still cop a$500k fine for employing the two men. Despite the obvious that everyone knew teams played for draft picks, the task of holding a club responsible would lead to them being required to ask endless questions over moves to an unreasonable level.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am a massive massive massive Demetriou fan but I disagree there. His evidence point was fair enough but his refusal to accept that his views on tanking in the past were wrong is disappointing. And he used technicalities of definitions such as him saying tanking is players not trying, which no one barring a few crazies, has ever claimed, was lame.

That being said, Sheehan acknowledged that Demetriou never loses when he goes On The Couch, he is that good a performer. Yet Healy, Sheehan and Roos only really started to pot Demetriou and his inconsistencies once he was off camera. It was one of the most soft **** things I have ever seen.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was like they were there criticising someone else's soft questioning of Demetriou, but they were the ones there to ask the questions!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was amazing wasn't it?

Incredible. Are any of them on twitter? I am amazed at it really and feel the need to spray them for it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goes back to the point really that Sheehan acknowledged they never "get" Demetriou, so they wait til he leaves to pot him.

Redbacks

International Captain
I am a massive massive massive Demetriou fan but I disagree there. His evidence point was fair enough but his refusal to accept that his views on tanking in the past were wrong is disappointing. And he used technicalities of definitions such as him saying tanking is players not trying, which no one barring a few crazies, has ever claimed, was lame.
The AFL have always taken a head in sand view that they have the right to help the weaker teams with a priority pick, no surprise that they fail to acknowledge that the system could be abused or present adverse incentives.

I think to lay charges against the dees in terms not within their own rules would be odd. He had the right to clarify, blame the media for not reading the rule book.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But the whole thing started because Brock McLean said more than others would normally on the same television show! There was no governance at all, and as such, there were no specific rules to deal with such an issue.

Secondly, you can't say blame the media when Demetrious, McLachlan and co. have had various pressers and interviews in the media and have failed to properly communicate their view to the lay man so they understand what is going on and what the investigation meant.

The fact he finally clarified properly the "lack of evidence in front of them" point is Julia Gillard Labor Government-esque.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought AD said Melbourne breached rule 1.6.
Melbourne's former football boss Chris Connolly (one year) and former coach Dean Bailey (16 weeks) were both punished with suspensions, having been found guilty of ''acting in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the AFL'' - rule 1.6, after 800 pages of evidence was considered by several legal experts, including an independent Queen's counsel.
Advertisement
Refusing to be specific, Demetriou said the AFL was still working on the framework around the new rules but added that he doubted the word ''tanking'' - which his baffled deputy, Gillon McLachlan, could not even define - would have a place in the writing of the new rule.
''It's a part of a strengthening of our rules,'' Demetriou said.

Obviously the rule is a general rule and not one put in place specifically to fight tanking, and hence why they are adding new rules.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boyd being out is a bummer for DT managers.

Have brought in Murphy's cuz, ftr. Will use the extra money on the upgrade I'll need to replace LeCras next round.