• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Anti-doping agencies have dropped the ball

The AFL famously resisted joining forces with the World Anti-Doping Agency's illicit drugs policy because of the number of indigenous players testing positive for marijuana. Federal government pressure to the tune of $3 million a year in annual funding saw Andrew Demetriou back down in 2005.
Has anyone else heard of this being highlighted as a reason for the AFL's confrontation with the Government over WADA compliance?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No.

Wait just clicked on the article, **** sake ****. There's a rule against linking Wilson articles on here.

Spikey

well I've def heard that the AFL didn't want to sign up partly because of marijuana's status. (but it might have been wilson i heard it from)

first i've heard of indigenous players part of it

Spikey

NEWS: The Age 14 Jul 05: Captains back AFL on drug code [Archive] - Bluelight

Marijuana tests confirm AFL concern
By Jake Niall, Caroline Wilson and Michael Gleeson
March 14, 2006

A DISPROPORTIONATE number of indigenous players have tested positive to marijuana under the AFL's out-of-competition testing regime, heightening AFL concern about the impact of the new World Anti-Doping Agency drug code on Aboriginal players.
there was already a battle about it though

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The more I think about it, the more ridiculous that whole article seems.

She's literally just working as part of the AFL PR team now, isn't she?

Spikey

AFL ‏@AFL
Full Time: Indigenous All Stars 14.6 (90) defeat @Richmond_FC 6.4 (40) in front of 8350 at Traeger Park, Alice Springs

Several disgraced Essendon players were playing for the All Stars though

howardj

International Coach
I think AFL is fast becoming an unhealthy environment for the players

Recommendations:

- no clubs allowed to start pre season earlier than 1 December

- no injections of vitamins/supplements (it's an appalling look for the game to have guys taken off site and injected by non doctors)

- players allowed to unwind the night after a game (to be clear, the days of the three day bender after a Friday night match are over and should be. But I think having a bottle of wine with your missus, or a six pack around a BBQ should not be frowned on. Players need a release after the massive build up to a game)

- players given two days off per week

- a limit, albeit a generous one, on football department expenditure

- fox footy to shut down in October, and open again in February

Spikey

players are allowed to drink following a game. it's going out and getting pissed 24 hours after a game that's the problem.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane

AFL will hold a media conference at 12.30pm today at AFL House after further discussions with ACC over the course of this weekend.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane

AFL Deputy CEO Gill McLachlan will detail what information can further be provided after last Thursday's ACC media conference in Canberra.

your club is screwed!

howardj

International Coach
My understanding is that drinking during the season is frowned upon

As I say, the days of the big bender are and should be over

It's all about moderation, and having a release

That's why there's chaos in the offseason - ten months of deprivation is lived out in a six week window

I don't want to sound like the male version of Caro Wilson, but things need to change, but not to the other extreme

Last edited: