• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've always been a big fan of Rodan. When Richmond got rid of him I considered him their best player (not hard tbf).

But Richmond can't get him, would be totally ridiculous. Bloke has knees like stale baguettes.
Bloke is a defensive liability. Does the ***y stuff, great at getting a super clean clearance a couple of times a game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lions after Stefan Martin. That will be a good pick up. Melbourne Uni Law School boy and can play football. The ultimate combo.
Nah, he's useless.

If they can get pick 30 for him, like has been mooted, then you'd bloody well take it. They have a couple of decent young ruckmen coming through.

howardj

International Coach
Thoughts on the compensation for free agency?

Hawks and Melbourne got screwed I reckon.
Yeah I think the compensation, and for whatever reason I don't know, is heavily tied to the $$$ that the new club is paying. Hence why the Saints received a first-rounder for Goddard, but why Melbourne and Hawthorn didn't get much for Maloney and Young respectively.

howardj

International Coach
On the broader issue of free agency, I agree with Paul Roos that it really helps entrench the haves and the have-nots.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think doing something to combat just how important the draft has become is really good for the comp, and I think the 'have' teams would be better off under the old system of the draft being basically the only way to construct a team, given they can send out a whole load more scouts than the 'have-nots' can't. so i disagree with roosey. but maybe i'm wrong. but i dunno know, it gives the 'have nots' another way of getting players. they'll gain some, they'll lose some. 'haves' will gain some and lose some. under a system in which every team (bar 4....) can't spend more than a certain figure on wages, i struggle to believe that it'll change dynamics dramatically. it does mean though, imo, a 'have not' team is more likely to build a team capable of winning a premiership, and hence attract FA's than the old system. the western bulldogs, or some other 'have not' team could have matched or gone past our offer to goddard, but they can't match the number of scouts we send out. (now that we actually send scouts out, instead of just having one guy in the recruiting department who hey btw has a role in the coaches box on gameday........)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
how nice are the swans behaving? seems like they can just offer pick 40 or whatever for tippet. what pals!