• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't remember Cooney but Bartel and Gablett were good too. I agree.

Swanneh is an odd bloke, that's for sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Trent Cotch, awesome player and top bloke, but he's surely a boutique, funky, left field for-the-sake-of-it pick tonight

Seriously, if he had a better year than Gazza and a host of others, then I am a Labor man
Crazy talk. You can argue Mitchell, Ablett, Danger and Thompson were all as good as he was, but to say he was definitively behind them and a host of others is going too far. He had a seriously ****ing good year and played damn well in wins and losses.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was definitely behind Ablett, Thompson and Mitchell.

Takes nothing away from his year, but the above were just better all throughout the year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sure but that's not how the Brownlow goes. Consistency only gets you so far. You can be in the top 3-5 players but not poll as much as a guy who has a lot of 3 vote games, which Cotchin had.

benchmark00

Sure but that's not how the Brownlow goes. Consistency only gets you so far. You can be in the top 3-5 players but not poll as much as a guy who has a lot of 3 vote games, which Cotchin had.
What? that's totally not what you said the post above mine, and Howard said 'if he had a better year than...' which you disagreed with.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well, they obviously didn't think that he was behind those players that howardj named, nor did The Age's writers according to their award.

It's certainly not preposterous to say that he was capable of winning the thing, I think his efforts this season were in the bracket of anyone else in the league and he would have been a deserving winner. Sometimes it depends on how the voting systems suit a person's year as well.

Also, Fyfe for 2013 Brownlow, polled 14 votes and missed a heap of footy.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Would say Dangerfield's season is a bit overrated because his good games were so dominant. Had the sort of year that polls well in Brownlow/coaches award type scenarios but was too patchy to be compared to Cotchin, Ablett, Thompson etc.

Would rate those three plus Mitchell and Watson definitely the best players of the year. I think Ablett's season is the most remarkable though just because of the team he plays in. Would have been terrifying if he still had strong support.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Vic I'm all over Fyfe for Brownlow next year too. Was on him at $31 this year after round 1 and then he blew out his shoulder. If he stays fit next year he will romp it.

I will also have a bit on Dustin Martin to have a breakout year after this poor (by his standards) year from him. Proved he can poll well last year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He was winning or close to top 3-5 for many football awards around the football community. It clearly suggests that some thought he had a better year than some of the other favourites for the Brwnlow.

Either way, he ****ing came second in the Brownlow medal and polled more than Ablett so him being a Brownlow favourite was hardly a "left of field" opinion by the media or whatever the hell Howard described it as.

benchmark00

I don't agree with Howard saying he was left field, I agree he didn't have as good as those others I mentioned though. But he's a good player, not saying he isn't.

benchmark00

Listening to SEN breakfast show and Tim Watson just started crying talking about Jobe and his grandfather, great scenes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Listening to SEN breakfast show and Tim Watson just started crying talking about Jobe and his grandfather, great scenes.
Jobe's interview was great as well. Tim very rarely speaks of his son in the media (which is classy) so it was good that he shared a bit.