• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geelong could probably use a ruckman. But they've probably already promised Boak. I reckon they'd like to take Bellchambers at the end of 2013 when his contract finishes, you know, ****ing us in the A. I like to think we could have gotten Boak for bellchambers tho (with bell obv going elsewhere 'cause port have a couple of ruck prospects). Anyway, it's less to do with finding a home than just wanting opinions about his worth cause i'm obviously gonna over-rate

I wouldn't say we recruited tall. But we did it in sections, from 2007-08 we took KPP's, and from 09-11 we've taken midfielders, with 05-06 was more balanced. we've only taken 1 tall in the last 3 drafts, plus another couple mid sized players. The other 9 have been midfielders. so we're waiting for them to break in and, you know, play well (from those 9 melksham, colyer, heppell and browne played last week. i thought kavanagh should have played too).

anyway, bellchambers is prime to be moved because we've got ryder, who i rate as the better ruckman. i mean, you can't really roll with 2 young, number 1 ruckmen. keeping in mind ryder-bellchambers don't often play well together. you look at the ruck reserves at every team. you've got WC with those two freaks, and Freo who lucked out with Griffen's sick dad, but everyone else? C. Wood is the frickin' back up at c'wood. north were in a similar sort of position last year, and now they're gonna get much less for hamish 'can't kick a goal after the bell' mcintosh than they could have.

sooner or later one of them is gonna get sick of playing in the reserves or being forced to play up forward, which bellchambers is bad at and ryder is average at. so bellchambers is the one who goes (and yes, I'd move pears too. That's a bit tricky 'cause Hooker and Carlisle are much the same, but I never fall in love with pears. we can always move hurley down back anyway)

now i don't actually think they'll put bellchambers up on the trading block, but as above his contracts runs out in 2013...that's really bad timing. so i'd look at trading him now and getting something nice rather than having our hands forced and having to suck like a 2nd round pick or w/ever

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I haven't watched as much of Essendon as you have, obviously, but I still think that Ryder is a handy enough third tall option, a la Brown, and Bellchambers is your best ruckman.

Ryder has had those awesome games where he has rucked solo, but he can't do it all year like a Goldstein can.

EDIT: we'd only look at him if Vardy never comes through his injury issues, tbh. We have three ruckmen under the age of 25 on our list, all with AFL experience (West, Simpson, Vardy).

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey Spikey who is Essendon likely to take in this year's draft with their pick when they end up 9th on the ladder?

Spikey

Ryder just isn't very good up forward. He's average....and we just signed him to a 4 year 500K deal. But if the powers that be decide Bellchambers is a better ruck, ok, the talk switches to trading Ryder. W/ever, I don't see both staying at the club as very sustainable. both are at their best in the ruck. bellchambers in particular hasn't been able to find himself a good ruck partner. he's worked together with gumby just as well as he ever has ryder/hille. ryder works well with hille. doesn't work well with bellchambers, in part 'cause he has to play up forward. so it's just about getting the most out of them and for the team. in this case, bellchambers strolling around for the reserves next year while NLM is part of the midfield is obviously not for the best

of course, if we can sign bellchambers up for 2014 by this year's trading period, everything becomes more relaxed

Spikey

Hooker in the ruck. Keep up moron

But yeah, Daniher next year isn't really a factor, hopefully. (or hopefully he is 'cause he's **** hot)

So:

so Gumby, Hurley, Crameri in the forward line (not totally convinced by this. i'm not a huge fan of hurley forward.)
Ryder ruck, with either gumby or a new guy helping out
Carlisle, Fletch, Hooker/Pears in the backs (this is a good example of why, while i'm a hooker man more than pears,pears staying might make sense.)

and so to get away with all those talls, we sorta need a good midfield, which is where trading bellchambers comes into it!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look, Essendon should just trade Hurley to Carlton for Marc Murphy.

Win/win. Yeah you lose Hurley, but you get Murphy.

Yeah they lose Murphy, but they get Hurley.

We all know this isn't going to happen. But still.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tigers move in on Mumbai

So good that Richmond continue to pursue their link with the Indian community.

Meanwhile:

Richmond was in talks with fellow heavyweight Essendon last year, but the clubs could not come to an agreement over whether the game would be played before or after the season, with the Bombers preferring a post-season match.

Why are Essendon always so ****ing annoying?

Burgey

Getting back to this...I agree, the culture is important. And your point is well made.

But, each case on its merits...

The Pies already have an outstanding culture, it's not as though they are a young, developing group

Moreover, I agree with The Duck...some guys need a blow-out. It's almost inhumane to have such a big build up to games, and then have a blanket policy where there is no outlet, no wind-down. As Carey points out, Swan is a professional and knows how to get himself up for the weekend. Recovery should incorporate blow-outs.
I don't know that I'd be citing Wayne Carey when it comes to model off-field lifestyle choices.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What if North can offer him more though? Surely you've got some room considering how young and up-and-coming your list is.

Boak's management contacted North directly. Seems very interested.

Obv. Geelong are favs, but reckon North are a sniff. Especially if they keep playing like this.

Redbacks

International Captain
The cats off-field stability should get him over the line. If you were leaving a basket case like Port you would want to go to a club with all the facilities and coahcing staff etc. to take your game to the next level.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Melbourne.

They are interested, and have the draft picks to get the trade over the line. Remember he isn't actually a free agent.

howardj

International Coach
Re the Healy/CScott exchange On The Couch...

Geez the Scott boys cut up nasty

Very sour, strange blokes