• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Freo fans are fine. Even in success they are grounded because they understand failure.

It is the Eagles fans that are the *****.

archie mac

International Coach
Loved the Carlton V Pies match great footy

Lets hope the Saits lose every game this year, the way they played Friday night was a disgrace to footy:@

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is the updated sheet. It now includes inside 50s as well.

I've used that to try and figure out two things: how many disposals it takes to get the ball into the forward line, and also how many entries into forward fifties result in goals. Funnily enough, even with Brownola, Brisbane rank poorly for conversion from I50s to goals. Does this mean there is some serious punishment coming up for their opponents when they get it right?

Another thing I found interesting is that Richmond's stats suggest that they aren't particularly bad at getting the ball forward, it just takes their opponents so much less time and effort to hurt them the other way. When you consider that their tackle count is comfortably the lowest in the league this makes sense.

And if you needed an excuse to chuck away disposal efficiency as a stat, consider that Richmond had the highest DE% of any team in Round 6. Adelaide were third. I'm still not willing to totally disregard it though, because you can see that DE% seems to correlate with tackle counts. Fremantle fell just one tackle short of Essendon's season record (107), set on the weekend. On both occasions their opponents recorded the worst DE% of the round, which backs up what I wrote last week about these percentages telling you more about each team on a week-to-week basis rather than the league as a whole. It's also better insight into which teams are the best at creating pressure, or the worst at handling it.

Sorry if it sounds like I keep ragging on Richmond, Jono, but if you need a stat were the Tiges aren't heading for a spoon, Adelaide's forward line is actually the least functional (or else on the end of worse supply). They take more I50s per goal than the yellow & black by the princely sum of 0.1.

Attachments

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've used that to try and figure out two things: how many disposals it takes to get the ball into the forward line, and also how many entries into forward fifties result in goals. Funnily enough, even with Brownola, Brisbane rank poorly for conversion from I50s to goals. Does this mean there is some serious punishment coming up for their opponents when they get it right?
Might have something to do with Brisbane's poor field kicking. I'm not sure how it's been this year but over the past couple, they've been one of the worst teams by foot.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Might have something to do with Brisbane's poor field kicking. I'm not sure how it's been this year but over the past couple, they've been one of the worst teams by foot.
You could probably tell based on marks inside 50 whether that's the case.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, you were on the day after. Would have given you more serious crap if you hadn't shown up at all. ;)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone give the Swans a shot with the start this week? Think of a lazy 50 on them.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone give the Swans a shot with the start this week? Think of a lazy 50 on them.
Oh dear, the gushing media has got to our resident Mr. Burge, QC!

It's hard to say. I thought off the top of my head that anything around 30 would be good, but Geelong have a knack for covering lines at Skilled. If there was inclement weather around the plus would be better value but the forecast for Sunday in Geelong is no rain and mild, the same as the last two games they played there where they won by about 100 points each time (even though it was Richmond and Port). Plus they get Ablett back this week.

Also, for all of those who put a premium on ruckmen, Seaby out for (most likely) Mike Pyke is no good thing for the Swans. They'll definitely have to revert to the high-stoppage game to try and break even in the midfield, but I can see the Cats getting away from them there.

Cats by 30 for mine.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Media hasn't got me mate, just like the way the Swans play in that they rarely, if ever, give up.

Appreciate the heads-up though. I realise they're up against it, but don't profess a great deal of expertise on Aussie Rules.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Ottens is out for Geelong tho, Sydney could plump for Jesse White to help out in the ruck (he might be better for it, hasn't had a great year)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, the Hawks have swung the axe, and violently too. Lewis and Osborne omitted along with Thomas Murphy and JKT, though the latter two are no surprise. Morton, Muston, Suckling and Peterson come in. They look like pretty good ins and outs, might be a good chance of stealing a game at Subi at this rate. They have played their better footy with Peterson in the side and all the Hawks fans say Suckling is a better kick than Hodge.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, and if I need to clarify my thoughts on ruckmen any further, I do think the Hawks are going to get absolutely **** on by Naitanui and Cox. As I've said, a bloke who can provide a contest just to stop the opposition midfield getting easy clearances is one thing, but Renouf up against Cox and NN is going to be disastrous.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Hodge or Schoenmakers have to help out.