• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Modern day (still playing) greats: Judd, Ablett and maybe Jono Brown.

You've got a warped sense of 'great'.

benchmark00

In summary, Spikey you're full of **** and your statistics are the same. 4000+ of 5000 that you've made up. That's that then.

The end.

Spikey

In summary, Spikey you're full of **** and your statistics are the same. 4000+ of 5000 that you've made up. That's that then.

The end.
yeah nah. He's a great, not a legend. but he's a great, I'm comfortable saying that, I'm comfortable saying most agree with me, and I'm comfortable saying that you're letting your own personal agenda against Adam Goodes colour your stance on this

The end

benchmark00

I have a personal agenda against Adam Goodes? I've never met the bloke, I'm sure he's a good family man. ****ing horrible post.

It would be like saying Shane Watson is a great of cricket because he's one of the better all rounders in the game at the moment. What a stupid call.

Spikey

Well not really. I mean, if Shane Watson had started his test career at 19, played almost every single test between that date and now, and kept a high performance level during that time (ala Adam Goodes for the sydney swans), he very well could be a great of the game. But he didn't. So it's a moot point.

To repeat, I don't think there's anything wrong in you believing he isn't a modern day great, that's your opinion, but I certainly think you're wrong in believing you're not in the minority, and I'm comfortable saying that your own personal distaste for his reputation is affecting your stance here.

but anyway why the **** do you even care if you are in the minority.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Benchy, do you think he will end up in the AFL Hall of Fame?
Probably will. That's a pretty lax measure of greatness though. I don't consider Shane Crawford, Chris Grant etc etc as greats of the game.

Maybe if you said 'do you think he will make legend status of the HOF'. And my answer is no, well, at least he shouldn't.

benchmark00

Well not really. I mean, if Shane Watson had started his test career at 19, played almost every single test between that date and now, and kept a high performance level during that time (ala Adam Goodes for the sydney swans), he very well could be a great of the game. But he didn't. So it's a moot point.

To repeat, I don't think there's anything wrong in you believing he isn't a modern day great, that's your opinion, but I certainly think you're wrong in believing you're not in the minority, and I'm comfortable saying that your own personal distaste for his reputation is affecting your stance here.

but anyway why the **** do you even care if you are in the minority.
If people think he is a great of the game then obviously they have an erroneous interpretation of the word great, that's why it concerns me.

The term 'great' shuld not be thrown around as lightly as you and your made up majority do. I think if people actually thought about it they'd agree with me that there should be more importance placed on the word, and that he'd merely fit into the 'good' category, whereas greats should be more exclusive.

In my time watching football, he'd probably fit into the 3rd tier of players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably will. That's a pretty lax measure of greatness though. I don't consider Shane Crawford, Chris Grant etc etc as greats of the game.

Maybe if you said 'do you think he will make legend status of the HOF'. And my answer is no, well, at least he shouldn't.
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be considered for "legend" status.

It depends on how you qualify greatness, as has been gone over in CC a squillion times. I'm not really sure on where I draw the line.
Modern day (still playing) greats: Judd, Ablett and maybe Jono Brown.

You've got a warped sense of 'great'.
Are you saying "If they retired today" or current players who will end up being regarded as greats?

I think Buddy could well end up as one, the guy has 494 goals already and is only 25, and impacts the game up the ground as well (even though it isn't as much as people like to think).

benchmark00

Are you saying "If they retired today" or current players who will end up being regarded as greats?

I think Buddy could well end up as one, the guy has 494 goals already and is only 25, and impacts the game up the ground as well (even though it isn't as much as people like to think)
Talking about if they retired today, and it's probably true that Buddy will end up worthy of greatness status.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sydney vs. Geelong (SCG)
Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions (Docklands)
Collingwood vs. West Coast (MCG)
Fremantle vs. Essendon (Subiaco)
Melbourne vs. Greater Western Sydney (MCG)
North Melbourne vs. Adelaide (Docklands)

morgieb

Goodesy is a modern day great and one of the best Indigenous players to ever play the game.

howardj

International Coach
Sydney vs. Geelong (SCG)
Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions (Docklands)
Collingwood vs. West Coast (MCG)
Fremantle vs. Essendon (Subiaco)
Melbourne vs. Greater Western Sydney (MCG)
North Melbourne vs. Adelaide (Docklands)