• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Matt79

Global Moderator
Calm down Cass, was tongue in cheek. And besides, I thought that as a Pies fan, the consensus here was tha I wasn't a decent human being anyway ;)

Matt79

Global Moderator
On the wooden spoon bets, most people probably 'reinvested' on things that had longer odds than someone having a worse season than the Tiges.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Birdman to retire at the end of the year.

Will be missed, excitement machine. Spent more time sitting on shoulders than a big boobed girl at a pool party.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Firstly, lol.

Secondly, my favourite player of all time alongside Richo. Loved them both.

Had a lot of jizz in my pants when I saw them both up forward for the "Allies" vs. Victoria game at the G in 2008.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tiff Cherry, by the way.

Ex-trainer for the Old Carey FC too, boys still talk about her getting around in short shorts or plain tights.

Craig

World Traveller
Just a few quick questions on the FAL salary cap:

1/ There is no limit on what a player can earn on 3rd part sponsorships, but they have to be included in the cap for transparency?

2/ What are back ended contracts?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
AFAIK, 3rd party payments have to be declared, but aren't included in the cap, because they can't involve the club itself organising any of it. It's up to the manager/player and organisation to sort them out.

A back-ended contract is one in which you are paid lesser amounts for a big payout in the last year of your contract. A famous case was Nick Holland, where he signed a five year contract and was to be paid a huge amount in his last year (around $900 000), by when his body was shot and he wasn't being picked by Hawthorn. It's a tactic used to get around the salary cap, if you are getting close in one season then organise with players to take a cut for the next year or two, but then get it made up to them in the future.

benchmark00

AFAIK, 3rd party payments have to be declared, but aren't included in the cap, because they can't involve the club itself organising any of it. It's up to the manager/player and organisation to sort them out.

A back-ended contract is one in which you are paid lesser amounts for a big payout in the last year of your contract. A famous case was Nick Holland, where he signed a five year contract and was to be paid a huge amount in his last year (around $900 000), by when his body was shot and he wasn't being picked by Hawthorn. It's a tactic used to get around the salary cap, if you are getting close in one season then organise with players to take a cut for the next year or two, but then get it made up to them in the future.
Precisely.

Craig

World Traveller
So what would happen if the AFL got rid of back-ended contracts, would it force clubs to let go players due to salary cap restraints (if they were getting close to the cap)?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So what would happen if the AFL got rid of back-ended contracts, would it force clubs to let go players due to salary cap restraints (if they were getting close to the cap)?
Haven't ever heard any movement to get rid of them, and I'm pretty sure that the players association wouldn't allow it.

benchmark00

Not since the Carlton salary cap issues in the early 2000's have I heard a significant story about salary cap restraints in AFL. They just do it so much better than the NRL, who just don't have the money in the game to compete.

I see Dustin Fletcher has been suspended for another leg related infringement. Surprise, surprise...

benchmark00

Tim Lane on One Week at a Time.... groan.

Can't stand his attempts at high brow football comedy. Beat it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
tbf, I enjoyed the ten minutes of bagging out Carlton. In a week when the Pies aren't playing, you take what you can get.

Hadn't seen the Judd elbow on Pavlich incident. Juddy pretty lucky to be playing next week I'd suggest.

Matt79

Global Moderator
To be somewhat conciliatory after indulging in a bit of Bay 13 stuff recently Zac, I was impressed with Rattan tonight on the telly, he came across pretty well I thought. Will be interesting to see whether Warnock can stand up and deliver on the tidy sum he's being paid in coming weeks.