• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lol. Happy for people to think NRL is better than AFL or whatever, but to call it footy is so stupid. You barely kick the ball ffs, there is very little usage of the actual foot!
Yeah, look that's all well and nice, but you blokes get all hormonal when anyone dares call association football football & it's a code where taking marks by catching the ball with one's hands is noteably absent.

Glass houses, etc.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just saying to a mate the other day, no better feeling than walking up to the gates to watch your team play. Mixture of excitement, nervousness and optimism.

Well as a Richmond fan you probably don't experience the third emotion often but you know.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, look that's all well and nice, but you blokes get all hormonal when anyone dares call association football football & it's a code where taking marks by catching the ball with one's hands is noteably absent.

Glass houses, etc.
You mean soccer?

Have always said that for a sport to be called football it needs to pass one test and that is that the maximum points you can score must be achieved by kicking the ball only.

And last time I watched a game of soccer (around 1993 when I needed a way to get to sleep) the bloke in front of the net wearing pyjamas and mittens regularly plucked the ball out of the air with his hands.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Glass houses, etc.
Do we? Always used "football" when describing soccer except in situations where it would confuse people.

FFA has the word Football in it etc. etc.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do we? Always used "football" when describing soccer except in situations where it would confuse people.

In fact, I can't remember too many people saying "it's soccer, not football". Pretty sure most people actually having a whinge are soccer fans saying "it's football, not soccer".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You mean soccer?

Have always said that for a sport to be called football it needs to pass one test and that is that the maximum points you can score must be achieved by kicking the ball only.

And last time I watched a game of soccer (around 1993 when I needed a way to get to sleep) the bloke in front of the net wearing pyjamas and mittens regularly plucked the ball out of the air with his hands.
Well, yeah. Goalkeepers can catch the ball in their own penalty area (42 yards wide and 18 yards long), but cannot use their hands outside it and none of the other players can at all.

I meant Aussie Rules fans as opposed to Australians per se.

Anyway, the point I was making is that they're all codes of football because kicking forms part of the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was complaining the use of the term "footy" to be fair. AFL (and any Aussie Rules football league at any level) generally has the term "football" in its name. Can't say the same for Rugby League (NRL etc.). In fact, in conversation here in Sydney I once used the term "rugby" when I was referring to League and not Union and 2 people jumped down my throat.

But if I used "League" (everything is a league for ****'s sake) or "footy" they'd know what I was referring to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
but cannot use their hands outside it and none of the other players can at all.
Obviously soccer is a code of football and I'm not denying that or whatever, but the fact is players can use their head, their chest, and even their arse if they wanted to score. Only the hands is illegal.

In Aussie Rules footy you can only score a goal with your foot.

So neither sport has a claim to having a more "genuine" entitlement to the name football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****. tbf.

"On the field of play" I should've said.

Obviously soccer is a code of football and I'm not denying that or whatever, but the fact is players can use their head, their chest, and even their arse if they wanted to score. Only the hands is illegal.

In Aussie Rules footy you can only score a goal with your foot.

So neither sport has a claim to having a more "genuine" entitlement to the name football.
That's my point exactly. We all have preferences, but I think it's impossible to say one is more "genuine" in being called football.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I quite truly believe that calling rugby league or rugby union "footy" is ********. :ph34r: Soccer being called football I have no issue with.

And that's not even a slight on the sport. But a huge proportion of the play just doesn't involve the foot.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Going to mass quote all your Richmond jibes from October last year til July 22 when we thump you in 17.