• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Redbacks

International Captain
Absolutely brutal stuff by Freo, has the smell of being quite a coup on their end, so it must be a big name.
Given their many years as a basket case it's always nice to see a club being a bit ruthless. Their decline this year was typical of the club and its inability to maintain consistent performance.

howardj

International Coach
Tectonic plates; massive shift.

Two just gobsmacking stories within 2 hours.

There's few things more traumatic than being sacked from a job you love when you didn't have the slightest inkling that it was coming.

Feel for the bloke on a personal level.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Left your business card with their PAs already then I take it?
Most assuredly.

I see the Hawks are paying $1.45 tonight. Albeit I'm a biased Swans fan, but that seems very short to me, our recent poor MCG form notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
- It was all Lyon. His management group has sacked Lyon for going behind their backs and doing a deal with Freo....and Harvey is managed by the same group
That's the big story here imo. The fact that Lyon went behind his management's back, probably because of the conflict of interest.

So devious, yet so smart.
Most assuredly.

I see the Hawks are paying $1.45 tonight. Albeit I'm a biased Swans fan, but that seems very short to me, our recent poor MCG form notwithstanding.
It's solely because Buddy was named.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Given their many years as a basket case it's always nice to see a club being a bit ruthless. Their decline this year was typical of the club and its inability to maintain consistent performance.
I don't think so. They're not the first team to have a poor year because of injuries so it's not really typical of the club.

And anyway, Freo (quite rightly imo) got credit for culling to the bone in 2008 and drafting a good bunch of new talented young guys and matured aged rookies. That was smart and a bit ballsy and going by their results since, it worked. Lyon might end up being a great coach for them but it's equally likely that he does no better then Harvey with a roster of confused and pissed off players who don't understand why he's there.

Anyway, it'll be very interesting to see how the AFL takes shape next year. Freo will be boring and defensive, St Kilda might be free scoring and who knows what the change to Buckley will do for collingwood...

Will be a good punting year for sure.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
more i think and read about this the more i love what freo and lyon have done. just awesome. compare it to say Adl. who ohhed and uhhed over craig when it was obvious to all he was gone...speaking of which, fairfax and news ltd running with Mark Neeld to the Demons

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The actual coup was done incredibly well, but they better hope Lyon actually coaches this team better, and the players aren't bitter about it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also, always been a fan of Josh Gibson, but he took it to a new level tonight. Bangs ***** Cat Dolls and then plays football like that. WAG

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure what your point is. That record is a lot better than a lot of other clubs.

Mark Neeld to the Dees then eh? I find it interesting that he has left while Collingwood have two matches to go in a premiership campaign, but I suppose you could make a case either way. Personally, I don't think he would have pissed anyone off by hanging around the extra two weeks.

howardj

International Coach
Lyon handled himself well yesterday. I agree with him that loyalty is about giving your all to your current employer. He was at a fork in the road at the end of a season, and was entitled to exercise the option in his contract (it's not as though he shot through mid-season). Also agree with the Fremantle hierarchy yesterday who said that their ultimate loyalty is to delivering success.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I'm sure the club would've been fine with his decision to leave as most clubs are quite supportive of their assistant coaches when a senior gig comes up.

I think if he said he was committed to finishing off the season there would be no good reason to say no. I suppose you have to weigh that against the fact that most employers tend to tell a leaving employee not to bother coming in anymore.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See I reckon Collingwood would have wanted him out. Not in a mean way, but clubs are pretty ruthless and protective over their IP.

I remember Clarkson refusing to let Hardwick use his Hawthorn laptop for the Essendon senior coach interview, which resulted in that famous story of his poor presentation.

howardj

International Coach
Anyone else getting Saturday afternoon withdrawal symptoms?

Should be a barn-burner next Friday - Pies v Hawks.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
See I reckon Collingwood would have wanted him out. Not in a mean way, but clubs are pretty ruthless and protective over their IP.

I remember Clarkson refusing to let Hardwick use his Hawthorn laptop for the Essendon senior coach interview, which resulted in that famous story of his poor presentation.
You're probably right, but I don't know what he would find out in the next couple of weeks that he didn't already know, and if his absence in any way hurts their prospects of winning the flag then there is also a sensible argument for him staying on.

At any rate I thought he spoke like a waffling dingbat in his press conference, but if he's so highly rated he probably won't be that bad.

Anyway I'm pumped for tonight. First day off in about two weeks, beer in the fridge, footy on the tv. Oh baby.