• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in brighter news the match is live on 7mate for us. so i can watch us get beaten in good quality!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The side Werribee have named for this weekend could smash Port tbh. Tarrant at FB, Hansen at CHB, McIntosh in the ruck

I don't think its a done deal we will win this week, but would hope we have enough to beat Port.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not having a dig at North... in fact if anything it should be interpreted as a dig at Port. They're not much different to Melbourne. They'll probably show up for about the third time this season (after the Richmond and Adelaide games) and leave everybody wondering why they can't play at the same standard on a regular basis. Then they'll go straight back to losing for a month.

It just so happens that playing in Adelaide and against the Kangas seems to provide a good platform for that.

benchmark00

I'm not disagreeing with you ****. If Goldstein doesn't play I'm quite worried. Pedo playing the majority of the game in the ruck doesn't fill me with confidence.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not disagreeing with you ****. If Goldstein doesn't play I'm quite worried. Pedo playing the majority of the game in the ruck doesn't fill me with confidence.
Was more aimed at SKD who was saying Werribee could beat Port ****.

Not that that isn't true either.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Was only joking tbf, and half commenting on the side Werribee are putting out this weekend.

Can never trust port tbh, remember R22 2008

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Dilemma here.

I'm thinking about going to see Carlton/WCE, but every time I've ever been to the footy with my missus WCE loses.

So I'm thinking I should leave her at home where she will prepare dinner for my return.

Thoughts?

howardj

International Coach
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Gold Coast vs Footscray
Richmond vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Brisbane
Geelong vs Adelaide
Carlton vs West Coast
Port Adelaide vs North Melbourne

howardj

International Coach
Dilemma here.

I'm thinking about going to see Carlton/WCE, but every time I've ever been to the footy with my missus WCE loses.

So I'm thinking I should leave her at home where she will prepare dinner for my return.

Thoughts?
A real life example of celebrating the role that women play in AFL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Round 14:

Hawthorn vs. Essendon
Gold Coast Suns vs. Western Bulldogs
Richmond vs. Melbourne
Sydney Swans vs. Collingwood
Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions
Geelong Cats vs. Adelaide Crows
Carlton vs. West Coast Eagles
Port Adelaide vs. North Melbourne

---

Oldham Kangaroos in the DT; big test for my boys. Not helped by Franklin copping a ban.

howardj

International Coach
What do people think about the recent controversy over sling tackles? I must say that I agree with Mark Robinson, that when you pin a guy's arms and fling him to the turf and the head is exposed, you're effectively getting a free shot on a bloke (i.e. that bloke is unable to defend himself and unable to cushion the fall on his head/face). For this reason, I agree with outlawing such tackles. Thousands of hard but clean tackles are made throughout the year, and this particular tackle makes up only a tiny portion of those. So the argument that it will affect the fabric of the game is wrong headed.

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
Box Hill vs. Essendon
Richmond vs. Melbourne

benchmark00

What do people think about the recent controversy over sling tackles? I must say that I agree with Mark Robinson, that when you pin a guy's arms and fling him to the turf and the head is exposed, you're effectively getting a free shot on a bloke (i.e. that bloke is unable to defend himself and unable to cushion the fall on his head/face). For this reason, I agree with outlawing such tackles. Thousands of hard but clean tackles are made throughout the year, and this particular tackle makes up only a tiny portion of those. So the argument that it will affect the fabric of the game is wrong headed.
I think the major element should be intent. In those tackles the tackler never has an intention to hurt the person with the ball, instead they're just trying to bring them to ground to make sure they're taken out of the contest and unable to get a clean disposal of the ball.

The problem I do have is when the player has disposed of the ball and the tackler still flings him to the ground. That instance should be outlawed, but not when the player has the ball and is tackled.

The other problem is the tribunal deciding if it's ban worthy as a result of the extent of the injury. If you want to see the end of the sling tackle, ban sling tackles, don't just ban the ones which result in a player getting concussed.

I just don't like it. People have been tackling like this for years, it's football. If you try and bring in this rule I think down the track you're going to get people deliberately throwing their heads into the turf and playing for the free kick, which is way more dangerous than what's happening now.

morgieb

Hawthornvs. Essendon
Richmond vs. Melbourne