• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The team they have, in terms of the ages of their most important players, dictates they should be in the top 4 actually. It's just that those important players aren't actually that good. The reason why they're allowed to be around that 5th mark is because most of the other clubs are rolling the dice in persuit of a premership. Sydney aren't.

Spikey

And Sydney get a gun at the end of next season with Free Agency who knows. I don't argue that towards the top there's dead wood but at the end of the season. Bradshaw, C. Bolton & Bevan are all going and Kennelly oughta be tipped on the shoulder too. But to me Sydney are the ones rolling the dice. It's risky. It could work out massively, it could fail massively. Just the same as the clubs "re-building". Only difference is their failure will be known quicker. In the meantime they're winning which they also need to.

benchmark00

How are they rolling the dice by playing tested players? That's not rolling the dice, that's playing a game where you know the outcome.

benchmark00

Nah wasn't going to talk about that issue. Just wondering if your thoughts on the issue had changed with regards to melksham being reckless. Have a look on the footy classified site and look at the good call bad call video. Towards the end they show the incident again. Take note of where the ball is.
btw, did you look at this?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing wrong with trading, and I've never said there was.

When they got Hall he was young and out of favour with St Kilda, Jolly the same with Melbourne.

You only look to trade/get recycled players if you feel that trade is going to take you to the next level. Otherwise you should take a gamble on the untested young to try and get to the next level.

Getting someone like Seaby (just came to mind) is not going to get them to the next level. Sure he's been ok, solid enough, but he's not a guy who is going to get you to compete with the top 4.
IIRC the Seaby trade got Koby Stevens, though it's hard to say for sure because we had consecutive picks. Bloke has been absolutely dominating the WAFL. Were it not for the state game and bye on the weekend he'd have probably played another blinder and be right in line for selection this week.

Meanwhile Seaby went to Sydney knowing Naitanui was coming and his papers were stamped. I'm sure he thought he was going there to be the number one ruck but it just hasn't worked out for him. Was more than handy as an Ottens type player at his best.

Spikey

Not yet. Chances are I'll still disagree though. Not sure if I'm willing to risk going to the footy classified site and seeing her face tbh anyway

How are they rolling the dice by playing tested players? That's not rolling the dice, that's playing a game where you know the outcome.
Instead of pinging their hopes on an 18yo kid at pick 40 or some **** they're pinging their hopes on attracting a 26yo gun at the height of his game with a ****-load of cash. They're going against the grain of "you must get as many draft picks as possible!". That's rolling the dice to me. And given their history of players wanting to go back to Vic/SA etc I can understand this, and given their recent history with drafting.....We should stop here cause neither of us are gonna change their minds...and I never finish my arguments anyway

benchmark00

Not yet. Chances are I'll still disagree though. Not sure if I'm willing to risk going to the footy classified site and seeing her face tbh anyway
Just look at where the ball is and see if Melksham still had no chance of getting it. Genuinely interested.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just watched Footy Classified, On The Couch, Insider and 360 all tonight.

Firstly lol @ Rohan Smith coaching as a runner. Hilarious footage.

Great interview with Boomer on On The Couch. Gun bloke. Lol @ Sheehan bringing up the fact he pased the ball to lindsay thomas and whether it had to do with Dermie. Loved how Brad Scott brought it up on insider too, saying listen to me and not the media :laugh:

Also that footage on Footy Classified about Petrie at contests from kick ins is fantastic. Brings the ball to the ground in contests allowing Norths little blokes to crum. Such a gun.

Finally, great to see everyone talking about Dustin Martin :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Gold Coast vs Footscray
Richmond vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Brisbane
Geelong vs Adelaide
Carlton vs West Coast
Port Adelaide vs North Melbourne

benchmark00

Just watched Footy Classified, On The Couch, Insider and 360 all tonight.

Firstly lol @ Rohan Smith coaching as a runner. Hilarious footage.

Great interview with Boomer on On The Couch. Gun bloke. Lol @ Sheehan bringing up the fact he pased the ball to lindsay thomas and whether it had to do with Dermie. Loved how Brad Scott brought it up on insider too, saying listen to me and not the media :laugh:

Also that footage on Footy Classified about Petrie at contests from kick ins is fantastic. Brings the ball to the ground in contests allowing Norths little blokes to crum. Such a gun.

Finally, great to see everyone talking about Dustin Martin :D
That soft zone stuff on insider was v interesting. I personally have never heard of it refered to as that. Must be a Brisbane thing.

howardj

International Coach
Juddy v Kerr-ey on Sunday

Lipsmacking contest

Is it true that Kerr's on a five-year deal (not due to expire until the end of 2013) worth $700 000 per year?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol @ Josh Drummond being out again. This time for soreness.

Bloke averages like 3 games a season.

Can kick a footy though. Amazing skills.

benchmark00

Essendon going with three ruckmen again. Itstl.

Can't see Goldy getting up, so ****s with him in your DT, be prepared to have an emergency.

benchmark00

SBI:

Hawthorn vs Essendon
Gold Coast vs Footscray
Richmond vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Brisbane
Geelong vs Adelaide
Carlton vs West Coast

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Gold Coast vs Footscray
Richmond vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Brisbane
Geelong vs Adelaide
Carlton vs West Coast

Spikey

Essendon going with three ruckmen again. Itstl.

Can't see Goldy getting up, so ****s with him in your DT, be prepared to have an emergency.
Ryder may well go back. In any case it's going to be 10X better than before because we won't have both of Crameri & Monfries in there. Neither of them can crumb for ****. Crameri for obvious reasons, Monfries is just a slow **** who can't keep his feet. Welsh being in is a far far far worse selection. Dude didn't play in the weeks before the Freo match and got 'rested' for Bendigo's match on Sunday - which is why Jake Carlisle who torn it up at CHB and Reimers who torn it up in the midfield after being knocked out ain't there - despite him actually needing to prove he's suited to the modern game. He's slower than ever and his holding on isn't allowed anymore. Terrible by Hird and this is exactly one of the reasons why I didn't want him to take the job.