• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've been left relatively unscathed in amongst all the carnage of the last couple of rounds. Some stinkin' scores but more or less a full squad - have I got you at a low ebb?
Think it's just the old reversion to the mean taking effect. I did have some spectacular jam early doors (Shane Savage scored me 144 one week when he only played 'cos of byes/injuries), but last couple of rounds I've not got the "get out of jail free" card come up for me.

Could stink the place up this week tho; no Chapman, Swan, Penders or Shaw from my preferred XXII.

Round 13:

Western Bulldogs vs. Adelaide Crows
Hawthorn vs. Gold Coast Suns
Essendon vs. North Melbourne
Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond
St. Kilda vs. Geelong Cats
Melbourne vs. Fremantle
Carlton vs. Sydney Swans
West Coast Eagles vs. Port Adelaide

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
08 form. not sure how i feel about it. he's gotta go at seasons end cause bellchambers is out of contract and you can bet your life he'll be in demand but right now...don't agree with Pears in either. he's playing one half of a VFL match and 3/4 of the next. yeah it's great we get myers into the midfield where he belongs but our problem has been stupid kicking into the 50, not the backs.
David Hille was pretty impressive last year considering how rubbish the team went overall and the fact he was coming back from a knee injury.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but you can hardly been living off something Hille - in AFL terms - did something very very recently. He's been very good in our 2 ruckmen matches too. Ryder is living off 2010's form much more, if you want to say that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not really because everyone has taken a pot shot at Ryder this year at some point (deservedly so when related to effort). I get what you're saying though, living off was the wrong term. But Hille's poor form during Essendon's poor form has gone under the radar a bit, as its been easy to point to the lack of Watson and Ryder's poor second efforts etc.

But anyway, Bellchambers is a good in imo.

Last edited:

Spikey

There was a **** up at Champion Data and somehow this means the teams are taking longer to come out.

Seems like Hille's been rested in any case.

Anyway, nice to have our midfield back. Sammy L means Watson can push forward a bit more and Stanton - poor form at times yeah - at least runs and runs and runs and Hocking owns us big time. Not sure about Slattery out but it did seem like he came into the team too early from injury in the first place ala Welsh and now Pears.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Am on the record at hating Essendon (living here means lots of Essendon supporters around me), but am very jealous of Pears and Hurley. When they both get back to full fitness they should have an impact again this season.

And obviously both will be guns in the long term.

Spikey

Am on the record at hating Essendon (living here means lots of Essendon supporters around me), but am very jealous of Pears and Hurley. When they both get back to full fitness they should have an impact again this season.

And obviously both will be guns in the long term.
Kinda frustrated with Hurley and how he's being played. He's a back and to me he'd be the best damn back in the comp if played there. Up forward I'm not convinced at all. I mean Hurley, Pears, Hooker is a damn fine back line. Obviously at times those + Hardingham won't be needed but to me don't mess with players natural positions unless they ain't doing well there in the first place

benchmark00

There was a **** up at Champion Data and somehow this means the teams are taking longer to come out.

Seems like Hille's been rested in any case.

Anyway, nice to have our midfield back. Sammy L means Watson can push forward a bit more and Stanton - poor form at times yeah - at least runs and runs and runs and Hocking owns us big time. Not sure about Slattery out but it did seem like he came into the team too early from injury in the first place ala Welsh and now Pears.
I think, well at least hope, JZ is going to go head to head with Watson this weekend. It's going to be an awesome battle if it happens. Two hard at it ****s squaring up.

Spikey

Corked. Bleed for a little but overall fine. That said, I've heard talk he's playing with a knee issue.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kinda frustrated with Hurley and how he's being played. He's a back and to me he'd be the best damn back in the comp if played there. Up forward I'm not convinced at all. I mean Hurley, Pears, Hooker is a damn fine back line. Obviously at times those + Hardingham won't be needed but to me don't mess with players natural positions unless they ain't doing well there in the first place
Who do you play up forward?

Spikey

who knows but we've always looked best this season when we've got rid of hurley and ruckman x from there anyway. makes them actually think before kicking it y'see...I can see why it happens but he really just kills down back. Got that Fletch-ish "everything's gonna be fine" aura about him.

gumby returns this week iirc so hopefully we can get rid of Monfries as our lead up forward soonish. Next season who knows. Matthew Little will probably end up on the list. Got 84 goals last year in the VFL and this year moved to Bendigo and is second on the list. Below 190cm though. We may use Hille to try to get someone there but i'm pretty confident we'd be a better team if Hurley played down back most of the time and then floated forward

Spikey

How does Dempsey not get a game? He's so clean.
Uh...?

Him and Winderlich doing their Knee's has hurt us far more than I think any of us thought it would. Both of them have been whipping boys kinda (Dempsey deservedly at times) and we just look so much slower. Plus Winders was playing that defensive forward role so well. Since then we've thrown Riemers, Welsh etc in there and it just isn't working