• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
@Benchy

Yeah they spoke about that on ABC's Offsiders.

That being said, if the AFL pokes its nose at the NRL every time they should expect a reaction.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Instead of doing work today I created an Allies State of Origin team.

ALLIES
HB. Harry O'Brien - Nathan Grima - Sam Gilbert
C. Aaron Davey - Lenny Hayes (vc) - Dayne Beams
HF. Liam Jurrah- Nick Riewoldt (c) - Jared Brennan
F. Cyril Rioli - Jack Riewoldt - Brad Green
R. Hamish McIntosh - Jarrad McVeigh - Jude Bolton
INT. Brent Staker - Kieran Jack - Kurt Tippett
Sub: Adam Schnieder

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Queensland coach Mal Meninga says NRL should target stars from other codes - starting with Lions star Jonathan Brown | Courier Mail

Mal Meninga must be more simple than I thought.

1) AFL do not have centralised contracts like the ARU. You'd think he'd have done his research before writing an article in the paper about that.
2) Rugby league scouts do go to other sport's carnival's to try and scout talent.
3) As if a player like Brown would want to cross over from a better paid code to a lesser paid code where they play in front of 3 men and a couple of stray dogs in a 100,000 seat stadium.

Such a bad article.
Fair to say Mal rates Brown's leadership:

Meninga said:
Jonathan obviously has the size, power and speed to acquit himself well, but he is also a leader, has a fantastic attitude, and is a genuine leader of men.
:ph34r:

Sub-editor should commit hari-kari, tbh.

Seriously, has anyone made the leap from AFL to league? Or even union, which probably has more transferrable skills in common with its greater use of tactical kicking and marks.

benchmark00

Fair to say Mal rates Brown's leadership:

:ph34r:

Sub-editor should commit hari-kari, tbh.

Seriously, has anyone made the leap from AFL to league? Or even union, which probably has more transferrable skills in common with its greater use of tactical kicking and marks.
Nah, no AFL listed player ever has, and why would they? They're well paid in the code they were brought up with, no reason to take a pay cut and play a foreign code.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
The White Maggot

Highly recommend you read the articles on this site, most of you would love them :laugh:
The credibility of the Brownlow Medal is in tatters today after it was revealed that experienced umpire Dean Margetts was pressured to give votes to Sydney Swans captain Adam Goodes following Sunday’s match between the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs.

“Given how one-sided the match was I was determined that all votes be given to Eagles players” said Margetts from Umpires HQ, which has recently been converted into a makeshift shrine to Joel Selwood.

“But my umpiring colleagues were adamant – Adam Goodes should poll votes. I was pretty steadfast in my views, so we only allocated Adam the 2 votes.”

The revelation comes just days after Steven Baker was suspended for 5-matches for Goodes’ blatant trip of Brent Guerra.

However, it is not the first time the Brownlow medal has been the subject of such controversy. Just last season perennial winner Chris Judd was awarded 3 votes in Melbourne’s heavy round 10 loss to Geelong.

Favouritism towards Goodes has been the subject of debate in football circles for sometime. Innuendo first surfaced in 2007 when the AFL tribunal cleared Goodes of a malicious striking charge against Melbourne legend Simon Godfrey.

Godfrey never regained full control of his facial muscles and it is believed the incident, in addition to Godfrey’s resounding lack of footballing ability, sadly cut short Godfrey’s career.
:laugh:

benchmark00

Instead of doing work today I created an Allies State of Origin team.

ALLIES
wtf, what happened to my full back line... Mustn't have copy and pasted it from the word document right:

B. Brady Rawlings - Daniel Merrett - Tadgh Kennelly

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Harry O? Wouldn't he be considered a West Australian given he played for (and was drafted from) Claremont?

benchmark00

Harry O? Wouldn't he be considered a West Australian given he played for (and was drafted from) Claremont?
In the AFL rules yeah, but I'm claiming him because he was born outside.

I've also included McIntosh despite him being born in Victoria and living in Victoria but playing his junior football in NSW. Loosening the rules for the purpose of my team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hodgey was so awesome On The Couch again this week. One of the best blokes in footy. Loved him chatting about his battles with Ling as well.

Also managed to watch the first quarter of Roos vs. Adelaide. Swallow was epic. Genuinely ridiculous for a player to play like that in a quarter of football. WAG.

Finally, managed to get a proper look of Melb vs. Ess (rather than just listening on the radio). Melbourne should do every thing it can to sign Tom Scully. If he wants to be made captain, give it to him. If he wants the club to change their name from Melbourne Demons to "Tom Scully's Demons" ****ing do it. The guy is an absolute jet. The amount of running he did (also highlighted on FC tonight) coming back from a long lay-off was unbelievable.