• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why on Earth do you keep banging on about possessions in rating a player? Goodes gets so many possessions because he plays as an outside mid!
This would be relevant if he played four quarters in the midfield, but he rarely plays two.

Won't respond to your Armfield call because that's deliberately facetious.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This would be relevant if he played four quarters in the midfield, but he rarely plays two.

Won't respond to your Armfield call because that's deliberately facetious.
So now we're judging the ability of a key position forward on how many possessions he gets are we?

40 goals a year is hardly an amazing year for an outside mid/key position forward.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Curious to see what you think a good season as a rotating midfielder and forward is then.

Coaches obviously think the world of him, that's why he hardly ever gets a tag.
Missed this. If you genuinely think coaches don't rate Goodes incredibly highly than we'll never get anywhere in this debate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Overall, I don't mind you thinking Goodes isn't as good as some of the media say. I'm happy to disagree but see your point of view.

But once again you've taken a valid opposing view and just gone to the extreme with it. How on Earth you can say Mumford and O'Keefe is better than Goodes is beyond me.

benchmark00

Curious to see what you think a good season as a rotating midfielder and forward is then.

Missed this. If you genuinely think coaches don't rate Goodes incredibly highly than we'll never get anywhere.
I didn't say it was a bad season. Could hardly rant and rave about it though.

2010 Bob Skilton Medal Top 10:

1st Kieren Jack 553 votes
2nd Shane Mumford 645 votes
3rd Josh Kennedy 542 votes
4th Jarrad McVeigh 497 votes
5th Heath Grundy 495 votes
6th Adam Goodes 464 votes
7th Nick Malceski 460 votes
8th Brett Kirk 455 votes
9th Ryan O’Keefe 444 votes
10th Daniel Hannebery 418 votes.

The above voting, having Goodes 6th in the Swans b&f shows to me the people doing the voting value the same things as I do when rating Goodes..

Forgot about McVeigh actually, rate him highly. Also better than Goodes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But I've openly said that was Goodes' worst season in his last 3-4 years. Was kind of my point. He wasn't at his best and was still very good, playing in a newish role.

O'Keefe's position in that list kind of undermines your argument btw. Same with Bolton not being in there.

benchmark00

But I've openly said that was Goodes' worst season in his last 3-4 years. Was kind of my point. He wasn't at his best and was still very good, playing in a newish role.

O'Keefe's position in that list kind of undermines your argument btw. Same with Bolton not being in there.
O'Keefe had a **** year. Goodes had a standard year for him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My God so much great footage.

Lockett, Dunstall (with hair), Carey, Derek Kickett, Shannon Grant playing for Sydney, Mick Martyn, Jeff Farmer for Melbourne etc.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
One reason why I kind of wish Ablett didn't go Gold Coast was because I wanted to see Ablett vs. Judd head-to-head for another season.

Judd is arguably better than he's ever been in the way he's imposing himself on games (his performance vs. Sydney in the elimination final was incredible) and Ablett from 07-10 was just ridiculously good.

Once Judd got to full fitness those two have been ahead of Swan imo, but I can understand why some think Swan is up there. The guy is a machine and kicks a ****load of goals as well.
Yep it's tight, but Swan still gets a ****load of the ball and uses it better than Judd by foot. Particularly, as you say, in front of goals.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Btw, does any one remember that song that used to head up I think Nine's FNF coverage (or maybe Seven's)? Basically some rocker girl who reminded me a lot of the lead singer of Madison Avenue.