Page 194 of 1148 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294694 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 17213
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: A.F.L. Thread II

So how was K Hunt's debut? Judging by the scoreline, it looks like a long season for the Suns..

Is any AFL fans actually liking the bye? I used to hate it in the NRL when they had byes from round 1, who needs a break in round 1 of the season ffs.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Bit hard to judge K Hunt given the game was a walkover and the suns had 12 first gamers in the team. He did ok as a one on one defender by the looks of it. Once your midfield gets thrashed defenders are in trouble no matter how good they are as they are always reacting, without pressure on the incoming pass, you shouldn't beat the attacker 9/10 times.

He might be an ok player, but I reckon he will not enjoy going from an absolute superstar in one code, to a possibly a solid competitor in another and switch back after his contract finishes if the $$ fall away.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    Josh Kennedy?
    True, I just don't rate him as a key forward where you can bang it in long and then expect him to domintate the 50/50 physical battles, will need to be more of a Riewoldt type lead up player, thus he won't be kicking 70 goals a year based on what I have seen so far. He's got good speed, made two great chases in the 1st quarter. The kid Darling at 18 looks ready to play against men which makes the results of 2-3 years of development down the track look very exciting.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 03-04-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Ooh Swans get over the line. Tight game. Essendon just couldn't break away and Swans fought back.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Lol Melbourne. Tuned in when they were 2 goals up.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    True, I just don't rate him as a key forward where you can bang it in long and then expect him to domintate the 50/50 physical battles, will need to be more of a Riewoldt type lead up player, thus he won't be kicking 70 goals a year based on what I have seen so far. He's got good speed, made two great chases in the 1st quarter. The kid Darling at 18 looks ready to play against men which makes the results of 2-3 years of development down the track look very exciting.
    Yes I don't disagree with this, I was just responding to you saying they 'finally have a key forward in the pipeline'. Even the role you're talking about there is that of a key forward. It also goes without saying that you don't need two guys in the same team playing the same role anyway, so Kennedy as a CHF and Romperstomper playing closer to home is ideal.

It's easy to forget that Kennedy used to get double-teamed (when it wasn't LeCras the focus of it). In that sense it's timely that they played Port Adelaide yesterday because Chaplin and Carlisle were two that did it when they played last year and JK did squat. It's great that Darling has come along because he really does look like a player, but I see it having a positive externality on Kennedy's game too.

And it wouldn't be right for me not to mention that it takes 10 years to de-Carltonify a player.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Top scorer in the Clubshub Trophy for the week.

Meanwhile, are new franchises usually as awful early doors as the Gold Coast? They're the first team to be introduced since I started paying attention.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Top scorer in the Clubshub Trophy for the week.

Meanwhile, are new franchises usually as awful early doors as the Gold Coast? They're the first team to be introduced since I started paying attention.
    Prior to GC, there had been two teams (freo and Port) introduced under the general draft rules that we see today. They struggled also, although the AFL has given the GC the best possible chance to succeed quicker.

I can see GC winning around 3 games this year (depending on whether they play Richmond twice), however in about three years time they will be genuinely decent, Port (est 1996) took the best part of a decade and Freo (est 1995) are still attempting to become decent.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    When did Adelaide join the comp? Didn't they go pretty well soon after joining?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    When did Adelaide join the comp? Didn't they go pretty well soon after joining?
    1991 - Different draft rules.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    How did North go on the weekend, Murphy?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Jeez I hope a giant lizard eats you and your loved ones.

Some observations out of the weekend:

- The Swans will make the eight

- The Bulldogs and Hawks loom as Collingwood's main challengers

- North and Demons may not be as far progressed as thought

- Brisbane's season is already long

- Folau's a dope

- Tigers are stirring!
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Geelong still > Hawthorn and Bulldogs.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Some observations out of the weekend:

- The Swans will make the eight

- The Bulldogs and Hawks loom as Collingwood's main challengers

- North and Demons may not be as far progressed as thought

- Brisbane's season is already long

- Folau's a dope

- Tigers are stirring!

1) Swans are not a particularly good team, and if they make the eight it will be as a result of the gulf between the top 3 or 4 and the rest.

2) Noone will challenge Collingwood, but if I had to pick a team which matches up best again them it's still St Kilda, providing they can find another good inside mid to replace Lenny. Hawthorn are an outside shot because they play well in big games, but meh.

3) North Melbourne will make the eight, or perhaps only just miss out. They could have been much closer at half time if they had kicked several easy chances, by then, the horse had bolted. They are better than Melbourne.

4) Brisbane are dead in the water. Brown is close to the MVP any team has. Staker has been good too, but without Brennan being able to play key forward they're gone.

5) As I've said all along, Folau has a better chance of making it than Hunt.

6) Tigers are still no good as long as Jake King still plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Geelong still > Hawthorn and Bulldogs.
    Not really. They beat Freo who have had the worst pre season of anyone, and although it was in Perth, they're definitely not as advanced as they should be at this point in the season.

Thread Information