• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bulldogs were just clean when it counted.

Had a sniff when we got the margin down to 12 points in the 3rd quarter, but then they just kicked away.

Minson monstered us. And Gilbee's first half was out of this world.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bulldogs were just clean when it counted.

Had a sniff when we got the margin down to 12 points in the 3rd quarter, but then they just kicked away.

Minson monstered us. And Gilbee's first half was out of this world.
So last week when pundits said Richmond had turned the corner, it turned out they were in a ****ing rectangle.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Curnow's injured as well Brumby.

Meanwhile Nic Naitanui is becoming a serious player. 10 tackles!

Such a gun.

benchmark00

Stir you Tigers! Stir!

Anyway, was thinking that with guys that are having no end of trouble with their set shots, why don't they kick it off their in-step? I know it's very un-AFL-like and that you can't get the same distance...but geez it's a lot more accurate. Riewoldt's set shot woes are really hurting the already down on form Saints this year.
In step? What do you mean? Do you mean like rugby how they sortve turn the corner and not run straight at it? If so that's not allowed, it will be called play on because youre off your line.

Riewoldt's problem is pretty much 100% to do with his ball drop (tbf almost all bad kicks are). He grips the ball with two hands, and it's pretty high also, so the ball has less chance of landing on the boot precisely where you want, than it would of you guide it down with one hand and use the other for balance.

People talk about routine etc, and although that is important for the flowing run up to get maximum momentum, the most important part of kicking is the ball drop.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thing with Riewoldt is that when he was young, he was a great kick for goal, used to be unerringly accurate and a very natural action. Lost a bit of confidence at one stage, and then he's been tinkered with so much that he's just a bit lost really..

Burgey

In step? What do you mean? Do you mean like rugby how they sortve turn the corner and not run straight at it? If so that's not allowed, it will be called play on because youre off your line.

Riewoldt's problem is pretty much 100% to do with his ball drop (tbf almost all bad kicks are). He grips the ball with two hands, and it's pretty high also, so the ball has less chance of landing on the boot precisely where you want, than you would of you guide it down with one hand and use the other for balance.

People talk about routine etc, and although that is important for the flowing run up to get maximum momentum, the most important part of kicking is the ball drop.
Let us know when your balls drop, ****.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Riewoldt's problem is pretty much 100% to do with his ball drop (tbf almost all bad kicks are). He grips the ball with two hands, and it's pretty high also, so the ball has less chance of landing on the boot precisely where you want, than you would of you guide it down with one hand and use the other for balance.

My reading is hj meant players striking the ball with their in-step (the inside of the foot) rather than the top of it. The green bit here:

As Aussie Rules footballers kick mostly from the hand tho, the biomechanics of using the in-step is really hard, because the leg doesn't come through straight. Obviously never played Aussie Rules in my life, but have played a lot of association football as a 'keeper and never once did it occur to me to use my in-step when kicking from hand. Just tried it now and found my right knee coming up at the angle where my right arm is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's all due to a cunning combination of luck, jam & spawn. :cool:

Seriously, have got very fortunate at times. Savage averaged 57 going into the round and put 144 on the board this week.

Augustus's Green Book next week tho. A test for my boys.

benchmark00

The thing with Riewoldt is that when he was young, he was a great kick for goal, used to be unerringly accurate and a very natural action. Lost a bit of confidence at one stage, and then he's been tinkered with so much that he's just a bit lost really..
Yeah I remember talking him up as one of the best kicks for goal I had seen, pre injury. Came back as a different kicker though.

Podsiadly has really ordinary looking kicking style, too, for what I've seen.

Man we're going to miss Ward. :(
iPod has a pretty good action I think. He guides it down as far as possible and kicks right through it. Not alot can go wrong technically.

Last edited:

benchmark00

My reading is hj meant players striking the ball with their in-step (the inside of the foot) rather than the top of it. The green bit here:

As Aussie Rules footballers kick mostly from the hand tho, the biomechanics of using the in-step is really hard, because the leg doesn't come through straight. Obviously never played Aussie Rules in my life, but have played a lot of association football as a 'keeper and never once did it occur to me to use my in-step when kicking from hand. Just tried it now and found my right knee coming up at the angle where my right arm is.
Well that's not possible. The furthest you could kick on that green bit with an AFL ball is 10m or so.