• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gets attention. All well and good to get them playing but they need to watch too and for better or worse (imo anyway) Hunt and Folau will help. Of course with the walking head-line as coach the need for Folau may not be as important for GWS

That said, I'm mixed about Folau. I personally think that Hunt could be successful and so don't mind it. Folau though...

benchmark00

Have said countless times in this thread and elsewhere, Folau has a better chance of succeeding than Hunt imo.

morgieb

Have said countless times in this thread and elsewhere, Folau has a better chance of succeeding than Hunt imo.
Being a long time follower of both sports, this.

Anyway, the NRL's problem is News Ltd. There's no doubt the AFL has been way more effective at expansion, and it wouldn't surprise me if in NSW at least AFL will become the bigger sport.

GWS Bogans will fail though. While AFL has got good support in the East, the West's still very league dominated.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talk going around in pre-season at an Eastern Suburbs AFL club was to the same effect, that Folau could end up being pretty darn good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
AFL Tips

Round 7:
El Nino 6 :-O
SBI 6
Cameel 5
alternative 5
Morgie 5
Brumby 4
Samuel Vimes 4
Howard 4
Jono 4
Superkingdave 4
Clapo 4
Heath 4

Tough round. Any one who tipped Richmond and Sydney were the real beneficiaries. No one tipped Gold Coast. A few took a punt on Port and Saints and came up short.

Worth noting El Nino randomly putting in tips and top scoring :p

If El Nino is interested in still tipping, I'll give him bottom tips so far, unless people are unhappy with this. I'm not too fussed. If anyone has a problem let me know.

Overall Leaderboard:

howardj 40
Brumby 40
Jono 38
morgie 37
clapo 36
Samuel Vimes 36
sirbloodyidiot 36
heath 35
superkingdave 34
cameel 34
alternative 31
El Nino 31

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Round 8

Geelong Cats vs. Collingwood
North Melbourne vs. Melbourne
Adelaide Crows vs. Gold Coast Suns
Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon
Sydney Swans vs. Port Adelaide
Hawthorn vs. St. Kilda
Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond
West Coast Eagles vs. Fremantle

Bye: Carlton

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Melbourne are still favourites against North with the bookies which is incredible.

It's at Etihad, we've beaten Melbourne the last 8 meetings, and Melbourne are missing Jamar (as well as their 2nd and 3rd ruckmen), Grimes, Scully & probably Trengove.

Goldy should have a field day in the ruck

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Trengove hard done by. The 3 games won't stick but I still think he'll miss the weekend's game.

North fans: why does Andrew Swallow stink this year? My DT has enough trouble as is.

benchmark00

Meh, he's still leading our CP count, and that's what he should be measured on, not pure disposals.

Having said that, there's no doubt he's slightly down on last season, but he did have a quality year last year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gets attention. All well and good to get them playing but they need to watch too and for better or worse (imo anyway) Hunt and Folau will help. Of course with the walking head-line as coach the need for Folau may not be as important for GWS

That said, I'm mixed about Folau. I personally think that Hunt could be successful and so don't mind it. Folau though...
Talk going around in pre-season at an Eastern Suburbs AFL club was to the same effect, that Folau could end up being pretty darn good.
Gerard Whately has completely written off Folau, and openly said he not only won't be a success, he won't play for GWS next year.

Said it on ABC's Insiders on 1st May.

Reckons he'll be playing rugby league again very soon.

benchmark00

Gerard Whately has completely written off Folau, and openly said he not only won't be a success, he won't play for GWS next year.

Said it on ABC's Insiders on 1st May.

Reckons he'll be playing rugby league again very soon.
I've seen Israel play a couple of times, and no doubt he looks totally lost out there, and that's what Whately has based his opinion on, but that is such a short sighted way of judging it.

His pure body make up makes him a better chance of succeeding than Hunt, who is not big enough to be a key position player, but too big/doesn't have the engine to be a good midfielder.

Did anyone see Mike Pyke's work on the weekend? His skills have improved out of sight, as has his general feel of the game. I know it's probably a little easier for him because he's a ruckman, but it's proof that skill developement isn't that hard if it's your full time job.

benchmark00

ftr - I'm not saying Folau will be a good footballer. I'm not even saying he will be a footballer at all. Just that he has a better chance if he puts his mind to it.

Neither Hunt or Folau will be good players imo. I think they should just be content with being picked every week on merit.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did anyone see Mike Pyke's work on the weekend? His skills have improved out of sight, as has his general feel of the game. I know it's probably a little easier for him because he's a ruckman, but it's proof that skill developement isn't that hard if it's your full time job.
Indeed.

Dean Cox is probably the ultimate poster boy for showing that skill development is possible. Didn't the guy used to be a woeful kick? From 2005 onwards he's been so brilliant, he, as a frickin' ruckman, will on occasion take the kick-ins for West Coast.

wag

howardj

International Coach
Geelong Cats vs. Collingwood
North Melbourne vs. Melbourne
Adelaide Crows vs. Gold Coast Suns
Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon
Sydney Swans vs. Port Adelaide
Hawthorn vs. St. Kilda
Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond
West Coast Eagles vs. Fremantle