• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Starting Merrett up forward was a punt. Fair enough. Keeping him there for a half was ridiculous.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
knew he would. frickin' knew. nic nat and cox being excellent against us as per usual too.

Spikey

well that was a good game. we really only had one great quarter but unlike WC we put goals on the board during our great great quarter. jobe watson what a guy

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know what to think after that game. The scoreboard says it was close and the first half was a great effort, but no team can be kept goalless for nearly a half of footy and expect to win. Essendon were always fancied to win but I think the Eagles just had to avoid a heavy defeat to prove that the improvement on last year is real, which they've done now. Shame about the silly tart sitting behind me though, she had one of those bone-shattering voices that sounded like a saxophone with a split reed whenever she laughed or yelled. At one point she called Mark Nicoski a derogatory term rhyming with 'taggart' - while sitting with her parents no less - for 'wearing a headband', that he had actually put on after copping a knock in a contest. All class.

Derby next week will be interesting. Usually one team is coming off an interstate trip but in this case they both will be so there's no advantage there. Freo would still be considered the better side and have had an extra day to recover but it's a WCE home game and the crowd will be on their side. Should be one of the most highly anticipated derbies in recent history actually.

While I'm on the topic I actually like the local derbies being split up into different rounds this year rather than all lumped into one rivalry round, they're usually intense contests regardless of form so having them more than just two weekends a season is great.

Spikey

Shame about the silly tart sitting behind me though, she had one of those bone-shattering voices that sounded like a saxophone with a split reed whenever she laughed or yelled. At one point she called Mark Nicoski a derogatory term rhyming with 'taggart' - while sitting with her parents no less - for 'wearing a headband', that he had actually put on after copping a knock in a contest. All class.
A nice summary of Essendon supporters tbh. Did she abuse Stanton and/or Slattery too?

Kerr quieting down was probably the big reason. Once that happened we took control of the centre and from then it was easy enough Hurley moving back was a factor too. I personally prefer him down there and we seemed much stronger.

Not taking your chances killed you. I mean most of them weren't easy but it was 20 points when it could have been 40. But yeah def. improved. Your (field) kicking was the most impressive thing. And Darling obv.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
A nice summary of Essendon supporters tbh. Did she abuse Stanton and/or Slattery too?

Kerr quieting down was probably the big reason. Once that happened we took control of the centre and from then it was easy enough Hurley moving back was a factor too. I personally prefer him down there and we seemed much stronger.

Not taking your chances killed you. I mean most of them weren't easy but it was 20 points when it could have been 40. But yeah def. improved. Your (field) kicking was the most impressive thing. And Darling obv.
I didn't get there until half time so I don't know if there was any abuse for Stanton but you know what? Now that I remember it she definitely had her woman juices oozing for 'Spikey' :naughty:

Sadly though 'Essendon School Girl' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only problem I had with the trades was that they pushed Bradshaw out for Fev.

Clarke, Goose Maguire, Staker.. even Buchanan etc were/are all good players, they've just had no luck with injuries.

Fev, if he worked out (obv didn't) would've been great for Brisbane. The sort of competitor Voss is meant that he was never just going to concede he needs to rebuild. He's not the sort of guy who will/or probably can, nurture a playing group up from the bottom of the table for a few years through the ranks.
Problem with the Fev trade was that he basically lost Bradshaw AND Rischitelli.

Rischitelli was shocked when he found out he was up for trade to get Fev, and it is quite obvious that played a part in him jumping to the Gold Coast.

He's such a gun that he won their B&F and then jumped. Professional as.

It takes a lot to alienate two of your 5 best players.

I again state that Voss' idea that he had to top up to make the use of Black and Brown whilst they still had something left was a good idea. But his execution of it was horrible.

howardj

International Coach
Lions have won 4 of their last 22. Is our list that bad? I don't think so.

With Eade, Roos, Mick all potentially available at year-end, the Lions must start winning otherwise Vossie may have to put the feelers out for his old sports-reading job at Channel Ten.

Doubt any of them would move to Brisbane though, with the possible exception of Eade if he was available and the price was right.

Spikey

brisbane really haven't been that bad this season....except for last week. given essendon's terrible travelling record i'm not confident at all.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem with the Fev trade was that he basically lost Bradshaw AND Rischitelli.

Rischitelli was shocked when he found out he was up for trade to get Fev, and it is quite obvious that played a part in him jumping to the Gold Coast.

He's such a gun that he won their B&F and then jumped. Professional as.

It takes a lot to alienate two of your 5 best players.

I again state that Voss' idea that he had to top up to make the use of Black and Brown whilst they still had something left was a good idea. But his execution of it was horrible.
Do you know what the circumstances of Rischitelli's defection were?

If I recall he signed on at the end of 2009 and was the uncontracted player to leave, and Brennan was the one subsequently traded for?

Had he been really pissed off at Brisbane he wouldn't have put in the effort to win the B&F as it improved the compensation that Brisbane got paid for him. I don't think he (or anybody else for that matter) would cut off his nose to spite his face like that, but as you say it says a lot about his professionalism.