• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
trade week 09 - the week that destroyed a football club.

(The must see motion picture!)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually defended Voss when he made those trades heading into the 2010 season. Some of them anyway.

Jack was very vocal that Voss was going down the wrong path though. Proven to be right.

Spikey

yeah i thought some of them were good too (i really liked staker and got proven right, for a season anyway). raines was alright tonight too. amon buchanan was the worst one (outside of Fev which was always doomed) and has gone under the radar the most. he never should have offered Rischitelli...at the very least even if he got home-sick essendon would have offered something decent.

new coach needs to pick between clark and leuenberger in the ruck and ship away the other one. both of them in the side doesn't work. neither are natural forwards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Xavier Clarke as well. Where the **** is he?

Still probably icing his hammy I guess, from the million times he's twinged it.

benchmark00

The only problem I had with the trades was that they pushed Bradshaw out for Fev.

Clarke, Goose Maguire, Staker.. even Buchanan etc were/are all good players, they've just had no luck with injuries.

Fev, if he worked out (obv didn't) would've been great for Brisbane. The sort of competitor Voss is meant that he was never just going to concede he needs to rebuild. He's not the sort of guy who will/or probably can, nurture a playing group up from the bottom of the table for a few years through the ranks.

Having said all that, Voss is not really that intelligent of a guy. An amazing, uncompromising footballer, but not very organisationally intelligent. He'd be the sort of coach that would yell and try and rev up a playing group, opposed to calmly trying to educate and convey his POV.

Hird, although an equal as a player (I always rated Hird slightly better, but thats just arbitrary), has a different make up. He's collected, he's calm, and ultra intelligent. Hird definitely has the better coaching personality and make up, from the outside anyway.

howardj

International Coach
That is a quite superb summary of the differences between Voss and Hird. Anyway, it's hard to not agree with Andrew Hamilton who wrote in the Courier Mail this morning:

There are a lot of people associated with this game who are under pressure.
Michael Voss is at the head of the queue - lose this game and I believe his position has to be reviewed.

I accept the argument that the Lions are rebuilding.

But the core group of youngsters that make up the nucleus of the team that will play tonight - Daniel Rich, Jack Redden, Jed Adcock, Matthew Leuenberger, Daniel Merrett, Joel Patful, Mitch Clark and James Polkinghorne, plus veterans Simon Black, Luke Power, Ash McGrath and Josh Drummond - played in 2009 when the Lions won a final and finished sixth.

Sam Sheldon, Matt Austin and James Hawksley are in the twos, which should suggest better players have taken their spots.

And into the side have come quality additions Todd Banfield, Pearce Hanley, Jared Polec and Tom Rockliff.

They should be better than they are

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Merrett & Patful are youngsters at 26 whilst Mcgrath is a veteran at 27? I'd disagree with Hanley being a 'quality addition'

You don't lose the personnel Brisbane have without consequences and injuries haven't been kind as well. They would have won today if Brown was playing

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They would have won today if Brown was playing
I understand your point, but that's surely not good enough though. They should be beating Gold Coast, especially considering they had no wins at the time, were playing their new "rival" and that rival had two defected former players (who were to be future stars) of their team.

Also, Brown is really getting on. His body is 3 years older than he actually is, such is how much he has been battered throughout the years. Can't rely on him anymore really.

Redbacks

International Captain
Wow, great win by the Tigers.

Rocket surely is a facing a tough battle to keep the top job at the Bulldogs. The Bombers look the goods and others have improved to squeeze the Dogs out of the top rung of clubs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eade, Bailey and Voss all in trouble.

Voss though has the fact he's a club icon to work in his favour.

Bailey is definitely gone by the end of the season I reckon, and Eade (as SBI said earlier) looks a dead man walking too.

Still enough time for Eade to save his skin though, but I think unless Bailey pulls off a miracle, Melbourne want him gone. He's done the rebuilding, and now the list is in a perfect position for a gun coach to walk in and make it a good team.

Redbacks

International Captain
The bulldogs probably have to admit their shot at the GF is over. They brought in Aker/Hall to do the specific job and were a whisker away from making it. Any longer shutting out the kids and they may put themselves back as a weak side. I guess Cooney/Griffen provides them with 2 A-graders.

Agree about Bailey. He's from the same premiership coaching group at Port as Clarko and had the 'I'm doing Premiership winning things, and I can be there when it happens' that goes on the CV of all assistants from a premiership winning club. Choco was on the nose by the end and now the game has changed so much he's probably lost that bargaining chip.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah so sick of Brown being on the sidelines. Along with Pav and Judd, he's the highest paid player in the game. I know this injury was to an extend a freak event, but in the the two years before, there was always something with him...groins, abdominal muscles etc. He really is a 15 game per year player at best. Just get on the field FFS.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I understand your point, but that's surely not good enough though. They should be beating Gold Coast, especially considering they had no wins at the time, were playing their new "rival" and that rival had two defected former players (who were to be future stars) of their team.

Also, Brown is really getting on. His body is 3 years older than he actually is, such is how much he has been battered throughout the years. Can't rely on him anymore really.
Was just more a point about the guys they have lost or have out at the moment, I can't see how them making the finals in 09 means they still have a good side, when you take that in to account. A lot of their stars from that side are either gone, injured or a shadow of themselves, apart from Black who seems to keep defying old age. The comment about Brown was more to point out how much difference a star makes.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah so sick of Brown being on the sidelines. Along with Pav and Judd, he's the highest paid player in the game. I know this injury was to an extend a freak event, but in the the two years before, there was always something with him...groins, abdominal muscles etc. He really is a 15 game per year player at best. Just get on the field FFS.
Haha what a load of rubbish. Last year he did have some Hamstring problems, and as you've said, the injury this year was a somewhat freak event, but in the 3 years prior the bloke barely missed a game, hardly a "15 game per year player". I'd almost go as far as to wager that in 10/11 seasons of football he's played at least 18 per year in all bar 2/3 seasons (had a terrible run in 05/06 iirc).

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The bulldogs probably have to admit their shot at the GF is over. They brought in Aker/Hall to do the specific job and were a whisker away from making it. Any longer shutting out the kids and they may put themselves back as a weak side. I guess Cooney/Griffen provides them with 2 A-graders.
Hardly shutting kids out. Have a look how many players we've had playing with around ten or twenty games of experience.

Spikey

Eade is the Brian Smith of the AFL seemingly.

And Voss is the Brad Fitler. Both of them really seem like "hey guys let's all go out tonight" people and that's not really a great coaching quality, nowadays. Brisbane have got some good youngsters but they're lacking in the middle ages players category and Voss tried to do something about it. That's not the problem. The picks he traded for Staker etc were all like post 40. It was alllllll the Fev trade. He was too old for the category they needed anyway.

As I've said they've def. gotta get rid of one of Clark or Leuenberger at seasons end - and hope GWS aren't the ones who take him - but do they try to get early picks or players in return?