• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Benchy, Dermie is on SEN now and he's saying everything you've basically said in the last few weeks about Hawthorn.

Says that whilst they probably wouldn't beat Collingwood right now, they are the only team likely to do it by the time finals comes around. Especially because they've had the wood on Collingwood over the last few years.

Getting slammed by many people calling in, but he's sticking to his guns.

At the same time Matthew Lloyd has said they are no chance of winning a Premiership as they have too many holes in their team. Reckons Geelong are better.

Thought you may find it interesting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Listen if you can (you can stream it online).

Other than a few fanboy Collingwood or Hawthorn fans ringing in and getting a bit too emotional, it has been a really good discussion

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't listen due to having Ubuntu installed.

I've said it a few times, but Hawthorn have so many big game players. Big forwards win you finals matches. Just going through from the mid nineties onwards - Carlton had Sticks, NM had Carey/Longmire, Essendon had Lloyd/Lucas, Bisbane Brown/Lynch, Port Tredrea, Mooney was playing his best footy when Geelong won their first and Cloke and Dawes had breakout years last year.

That's not to say they're the only reason why teams win finals matches, and it's not to say they always perform in Grand Finals (Carey's record in GF's wasn't awesome by any stretch, but his finals record in general was phenominal), but they are so important on the big stage when you get nervous defenders. Franklin and Roughead live for the big stage.

Then you look at their spine, and it's full of big game players. Their backline has always been a preceived problem, even when they beat Geelong in '08, but they get away with it when their cluster works.

No doubt Collingwood are the best by a fair margain, just reckon Hawthorn are the team most likely in September.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
Port Adelaide vs. Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney Swans
Geelong Cats vs. North Melbourne
Richmond vs. Fremantle
Gold Coast Suns vs. Brisbane Lions
Essendon vs. West Coast Eagles
Melbourne vs. Adelaide Crows
St. Kilda vs. Carlton

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Dermie is a real enigma. I don't know anyone else who is quite as capable as he is of profound moments and shirt-staining dribble in equal measure.

I guess it goes to show that if you throw enough darts a few will hit.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
No idea on the score but what the heck:

Port Adelaide vs. Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney Swans
Geelong Cats vs. North Melbourne
Richmond vs. Fremantle
Gold Coast Suns vs. Brisbane Lions
Essendon vs. West Coast Eagles
Melbourne vs. Adelaide Crows
St. Kilda vs. Carlton

benchmark00

How's Bruce McAvaney tonight:

Says something like "Rhodan was good, 2 LARS surgeries and all!"... soon as he says that Rhodan hits the ground holding his knee, looking like he'll need a third.

Outstanding as always Bruce.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Massive shame about Rodan though. I ****ing hate everyone in that Port team except for him. Hopefully it isn't as bad as first thought.

benchmark00

I used to rate him as Richmond's best player when he was there. Was a massive wtf moment when they got rid of him. Such a rubbish club.

Reckon Port just aren't fit enough. Guess it was a bit hard tonight because they had Rodan off early, but last week we smashed them in the last quarter and a half, and GC ran over the top of them the week before.

I don't know the story of their pre-season, don't know how many of their players were injured through it, but as a football fan I always think there's no excuse for a team to come into the season unfit as a unit. Certain players take a while to get going if they've had an interrupted pre-season, but overall they're just getting bent over after half time consistently.

Hawks were pretty unimpressive for the most part.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of North, what's up with Lindsay Thomas? Has he just got the yips bad, or taking pot shots when he shouldn't be? He's kicked something absurd like 1.16 in his past three games iirc.

benchmark00

Speaking of North, what's up with Lindsay Thomas? Has he just got the yips bad, or taking pot shots when he shouldn't be? He's kicked something absurd like 1.16 in his past three games iirc.
Yeah, he missed some pretty easy set shots last week. He's never been a reliable kicker, yet for some reason some people seem to think he's a sharp shooter.

I've been Lindsay Thomas' biggest critic in the past, but he's been really really good this year I think. Not in terms of goals as such, but his forward pressure has been outstanding. When Harvey rests in the forward line it's a good duo for when the ball hits the deck, always creates pressure.

Having said that, we need him to start converting more. Matty Campbell was our #1 small forward, but now that he's injured Thomas has really started to make something of himself which is good.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I know commentators go on and on about it, but you can never understate how important forward line pressure is. Would say it had been one of the main things that has cost the Dogs a flag in the past three years imo.

Shame about Matty Campbell. Has to share his name with the biggest ****hack commentator in town, poor bloke.