• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On the new telly deal for the AFL I was surprised, nay stunned, to read the players' association is asking for 27% of the AFL revenue.

What the **** do they get now? In the EPL players routinely get upwards of 60% of a club's turnover and the clubs pay transfer fees too.

Who gets all the money now if not the players?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pay in Australian sports has always been oddly low, and I'm not referring to the "total salary" compared to other countries. Europe and the US obviously have a larger market so the difference is fair enough.

But what is odd is the low percentage (as you point out Brumby) players get. Now I don't necessarily advocate player power reaching the levels of association football or the NBA etc. But the ledger should be balanced a little bit more in the players' favour.

Adam Goodes is on the march on that front. Advocating an increase aws.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pay in Australian sports has always been oddly low, and I'm not referring to the "total salary" compared to other countries. Europe and the US obviously have a larger market so the difference is fair enough.

But what is odd is the low percentage (as you point out Brumby) players get. Now I don't necessarily advocate player power reaching the levels of association football or the NBA etc. But the ledger should be balanced a little bit more in the players' favour.

Adam Goodes is on the march on that front. Advocating an increase aws.
**** should kick straighter from set shots, then he can have more. Divot.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
On the new telly deal for the AFL I was surprised, nay stunned, to read the players' association is asking for 27% of the AFL revenue.

What the **** do they get now? In the EPL players routinely get upwards of 60% of a club's turnover and the clubs pay transfer fees too.

Who gets all the money now if not the players?
Infrastructure and grass roots must account for a lot of it. Most of the junior and amateur/non-professional competitions would receive grants from AFL or their subsidiary bodies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Infrastructure and grass roots must account for a lot of it. Most of the junior and amateur/non-professional competitions would receive grants from AFL or their subsidiary bodies.
That's very laudable if so, I suppose.

Mind you, at least 73% of $1.25 billion over 5 years buys a lot of infrastructure.

I'd never hold up the Prem as any kind of model for a sporting business (I think I read somewhere that Man City's wage bill is like 120% of their total income, which is messed up, to put it politely) but if anyone's to get rich from sport I'd prefer it was the chaps who actually deliver the product to the punters.

Spikey

at least the rest of you picked up darling :( I was under the impression he'd start in the WAFL and move into the team later on....

Spark

Global Moderator
it's so fashionable to bash him but Andy D and his pals do a great job. i mean look at our cricket guys and the nrl guys....
From a slightly-outside point of view, I look at Demetriou and wonder what we would achieve if CA had similar vision and competence.

Spikey

Simon Black what a guy. It's Judd last night all over. Luke Power has been great too. The Old Firm!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's some amazing young players in the Adelaide team. Guys like Smith, Martin, McKernan, Sloane, Davis and Jacobs have all played sub-20 games and look really impressive at AFL level. Then you've got the next generation with Walker and Dangerfield etc, even though Walker will probably be at GWS next year.

Sucks about Davis' shoulder though. Looked really bad.

edit: Jaensch too, uses the ball beautifully.

Last edited: