• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most people will be in the same boat though, everyone will have Cox, Grimes and Darling will be pretty popular as well. I'm missing Cox, Grimes, Sylvia & Tapscott this week. Still hopefull of a decent score, started well with Adcock & Fisher serving me well
Yeah, fair call. I was torn whether to use some trades to bring in a couple of bankers, but decided to trust my squad & save them for injuries further down the road. Need Vickery to step up for the big fella in my rucks tho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hawthorn always shape up against Geelong (fierce rivalry stemming from the 1989 grand final*) irrespective of their place on the ladder. They match up so well against them, and if there's been one single way to beat Geelong over the past 4 or so years, it's been by pressuring them over the whole ground and watching their handball game break down due to pressure (perceived and actual).

I don't know if you're familiar with basketball, but if you are, it's akin to a full court press. Every possession has pressure on it and it becomes hard to execute under pressure. Collingwood are the best at this, and Hawthorn are the second best. The hard part is keeping it up over the full 4 quarters, but given Hawthorn's form I reckon they're capable of it.

*Greatest game of football I've ever witnessed. Shading that match between Essendon & NM
Cheers. Thanks for humouring me.

I know squat about basketball, but what you describe sounds quite similar to a man-for-man marking system in association football, so think I'm vaguely with you.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A press is the opposite to man-for-man setup (if I'm interpreting that correctly). It's more of a moving zone.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A press is the opposite to man-for-man setup (if I'm interpreting that correctly). It's more of a moving zone.
No, Brumby's more or less sort've got it.

In basketball, a full court press is when a basket is scored and the defence starts in the back court, hasseling the ball carrier, and pressures them up the floor.

benchmark00

This is for the midfield and forward line for Hawthorn ftr. I'm aware they play a zone defence most of the time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly, their defence zones but still presses forward. If you go over it, like Adelaide did in Round 1, they are ****ed.

benchmark00

Yeah exactly, their defence zones but still presses forward. If you go over it, like Adelaide did in Round 1, they are ****ed.
No, their defence zones, as in plays off their oponent and fills space but the rest of their structure is about putting pressure on the ball carrier, which is a press.

A zone is playing off an oponent and setting up a structure.

A press has no structure as such. It's just harass the **** out of the guy with the ball.

It's hard to go 'over' a zone when a press is in place up the field. If the press is broken, then the zone becomes harder to pull off.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but the point is, as has been shown over the last 2 years, they can't keep up the pressure constantly. All well and good to say you have a game plan to put pressure on your opponents. Only did it properly vs. us this year and the second half vs. Melbourne.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Yeah but the point is, as has been shown over the last 2 years, they can't keep up the pressure constantly. All well and good to say you have a game plan to put pressure on your opponents. Only did it properly vs. us this year and the second half vs. Melbourne.
And they also showed vs Melbourne that when they get it right they only need a half to really dominate an opponent.

Granted Geelong are better than Melbourne, but I'm pretty sure Hawthorn will be more 'up for it' against Geelong than they were against the Dees.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh I agree. And I totally agree with you that Hawthorn match up well against Geelong.

I was at the MCG for their round 2 game last year. Was soooooooooooo awesome.

benchmark00

Yeah, don't get me wrong, no way do I reckon Hawthorn will flog Geelong. I reckon it will be close as.

Expecting an amazing match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll go on Tuesday as well.

Will go on Sunday as well to see us thump your rabble.

Spikey

Swallow beings up his 50 for the quarter i think. what a guy. Harris needs to junk it up