• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Footy Tipping

Round 3:

howardj 7
Heath 6
Superkingdave 6
Cameel 6
benchy 6
morgie 6
SBI 6
Jono 6
Samuel vimes 5
Brumby 5
Clapo 4

No tips from alternative this week. So he gets 4.

Overall:

howardj 19
Brumby 18
Jono 18
heath 17
Samuel Vimes 17
clapo 16
morgie 16
sirbloodyidiot 15
superkingdave 14
cameel 12
alternative 12

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Round 4:

Richmond vs Collingwood MCG
Hawthorn vs West Coast Aurora Stadium
Carlton vs Essendon MCG
Sydney vs Geelong SCG
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide AAMI Stadium
Gold Coast vs Melbourne Gabba
Fremantle vs North Melbourne Patersons Stadium

Byes: Brisbane, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richmond vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs West Coast
Carlton vs Essendon
Sydney vs Geelong
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide
Gold Coast vs Melbourne
Fremantle vs North Melbourne

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richmond vs Collingwood MCG
Hawthorn vs West Coast Aurora Stadium
Carlton vs Essendon MCG
Sydney vs Geelong SCG
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide AAMI Stadium
Gold Coast vs Melbourne Gabba
Fremantle vs North Melbourne Patersons Stadium

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Question to you all: If you were a 30 year old Fitzroy fan who lived in Melbourne and had supported the team your whole life... would you have gone on to support Brisbane following the Fitzroy merger? Or chosen another Melbourne club? Or just stopped supporting a team passionately at all?

Was having a chat to my mates on the way to the footy on Sunday, and wondering your opinion. They all said they would not have supported Brisbane, which I found interesting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I had a family member who was a big Fitzroy fan when I lived there as a kid. They pretty much stopped following football after the merger, half-assed Sydney fan now. Absolutely hates Brisbane.

Spikey

probably "Or just stopped supporting a team passionately at all?". Going to Brisbane would have been particularly hurtful 'cause a merger with North Melbourne (?. Pretty sure it was them) was approved by the fans but rejected by the other clubs. So instead of staying in Melbourne they've been pissed off to Brisbane.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Question to you all: If you were a 30 year old Fitzroy fan who lived in Melbourne and had supported the team your whole life... would you have gone on to support Brisbane following the Fitzroy merger? Or chosen another Melbourne club? Or just stopped supporting a team passionately at all?

Was having a chat to my mates on the way to the footy on Sunday, and wondering your opinion. They all said they would not have supported Brisbane, which I found interesting.
As a sort of related note, what kind of fans are going to follow the Gold Coast?

I'd guess anyone from there with AFL interest has pledged their troth to another team already. I suppose kids may start to follow them but (if they're anything like English kids) tend to be attracted to success so the team will need to be less arse soonish.

Can't imagine currently playing "home" games in Brisbane helping either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon the Gold Coast being **** whilst Brisbane are **** will help them a lot to be honest.

I daresay some behind the Gold Coast setup are much happier now than they were 12 months ago when Brisbane were 3-0 (or was it 4-0?) and looking like they'd be a top 4 contender.

Redbacks

International Captain
probably "Or just stopped supporting a team passionately at all?". Going to Brisbane would have been particularly hurtful 'cause a merger with North Melbourne (?. Pretty sure it was them) was approved by the fans but rejected by the other clubs. So instead of staying in Melbourne they've been pissed off to Brisbane.
Sums up the position of 60-70% of the SA football fans, Port still have a club, but the rest of us born before 1990 only have a franchi$e in the Crows. Despite the initial enthusiasm the reality still remained that a lot of people had supported their SANFL clubs for 30-50 years often across multiple generations and a merger/franchise just feels empty. Like the big bash teams, a state team with 100+ years of history to be overtaken by big business interests rather than community spirit.

It will work in the long run I guess. The AFL brand stinks in my opinion and survives purely because they are able to leverage off the fact that the 10 Victorian teams are still 'clubs' and still have a massive cultural meaning in the state. If that starts to break down, I don't think the current operating model would last. The stadium deals are horrible and the AFL stitched up the teams big time, and the 'don't ask don't tell' attitude of the TV rights deal has consistently devalued the integrity of the comp with the infiltration of gambling and beer advertisements into the general coverage of the sport in order to keep the deal profitable for 7 and 10.

When you ask the North/Hawthorn/Melb people to save the club, you get a mass uprising of support. Ask a franchise and people look to blame the current owners or the admin of the league, it's just not the same.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richmond vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs West Coast
Carlton vs Essendon
Sydney vs Geelong
Gold Coast vs Melbourne

benchmark00

Sums up the position of 60-70% of the SA football fans, Port still have a club, but the rest of us born before 1990 only have a franchi$e in the Crows. Despite the initial enthusiasm the reality still remained that a lot of people had supported their SANFL clubs for 30-50 years often across multiple generations and a merger/franchise just feels empty. Like the big bash teams, a state team with 100+ years of history to be overtaken by big business interests rather than community spirit.

It will work in the long run I guess. The AFL brand stinks in my opinion and survives purely because they are able to leverage off the fact that the 10 Victorian teams are still 'clubs' and still have a massive cultural meaning in the state. If that starts to break down, I don't think the current operating model would last. The stadium deals are horrible and the AFL stitched up the teams big time, and the 'don't ask don't tell' attitude of the TV rights deal has consistently devalued the integrity of the comp with the infiltration of gambling and beer advertisements into the general coverage of the sport in order to keep the deal profitable for 7 and 10.

When you ask the North/Hawthorn/Melb people to save the club, you get a mass uprising of support. Ask a franchise and people look to blame the current owners or the admin of the league, it's just not the same.
At the same time the AFL's hand was forced to some degree when establishing a team in SA. If it called it Port Adelaide then you'd have the Port Magpies fans who would've jizzed in their pants and loved it, then you'd have the rest who have grown up watching the SANFL who have been taught to hate Port because they were the tall poppies. The way to create a team to have the most support is by neutralising it. Sure, you may not have the vicious die hard support you'd get from a team on tribal lines, but you'd sell out games.

Despite your obvious distaste for the way they set up the Crows, the AFL brand is the strongest sporting brand in Australia, and will continue to be for the rest of our lives.

Redbacks

International Captain
At the same time the AFL's hand was forced to some degree when establishing a team in SA. If it called it Port Adelaide then you'd have the Port Magpies fans who would've jizzed in their pants and loved it, then you'd have the rest who have grown up watching the SANFL who have been taught to hate Port because they were the tall poppies. The way to create a team to have the most support is by neutralising it. Sure, you may not have the vicious die hard support you'd get from a team on tribal lines, but you'd sell out games.

Despite your obvious distaste for the way they set up the Crows, the AFL brand is the strongest sporting brand in Australia, and will continue to be for the rest of our lives.
Yes, but I am far from in the minority view, the AFL brand is fine, but the viability of its licenses in SA are currently struggling, we do have the history of port 'selling out' the rest of the clubs as we knew it then in 1990. However looking back, only the diehards of that generation still hold a massive grudge. More realist supporters seeing the national comp now accept it was just bound to happen anyway once the 'west was won'. Port were a big fish in a small pond they were becoming too big for and wanted to take it to the next level. What they didn't fully calculate was that success attracted a lot of hangers on and given the working class area the club built its foundation on, the history was 'win the flag and the people of Port Adelaide will be alright', with stories of the players being spat on if they returned to the club after a loss (that honour now the honour goes to Eddie) further evidence of the only the results being important to some rather than the actual institution itself.

Now with a salary cap and a draft based league, the area is switching off and in only representing 1/9th of the state, I don't think it's a viable long term product. Nobody will support them who doesn't support their SANFL club via family ties and the birth rate in the zone is hardly inspiring, 8/9 talented kids will be nurtured at a junior footy club told to hate Port, their fans are ferals and maybe only a few 'casuals' will come along for the ride when there is success. The Crows, they are owned by a bureaucracy and run like one, the most boring brand in the world with a ban on self-criticism to maintain the ‘strong state of the leadership’ they have never, ever, ever admitted publically they made a mistake! Blight was the pinnacle only because he brought the Victorian no bull**** swagger to the club and cracked some eggs.

What the Vic press never state, but all the NSW press aren’t afraid to say is that the reasons for weakness potentially stem back to the loss of ‘tribal nature’ at the games, marketing people in SA certainly understand the message, as there is nothing better than talking about a win on the weekend at work over a fellow worker from the other club, or watching loads of guys you went to school with play. With AFL teams, there is something counterfeit about it. I don’t care whether a team beats Richmond/Essendon etc. it’s just another club, just like they couldn’t give two hoots about beating Adelaide but will salvage a crap season by beating Carlton or the Pies twice, or watching them progressively be knocked out of the finals.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Richmond vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs West Coast
Carlton vs Essendon
Sydney vs Geelong
Gold Coast vs Melbourne

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member