• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Updated sheet attached.

Saints got killed in inside 50s, but somehow managed to take more marks in their forward 50 than the Bombers. I didn't see any of the games today but I'm guessing that means the Bombers were just quicker. If that's the case then the Saints are really struggling to handle quick teams at the moment, after losing to Carlton last week. They have West Coast next week, who aren't quick by any means, but at Subi I think they're going to struggle.

The Hawks managed a win with the third lowest number of inside 50s of any team this year (38, compared to 37 and 36). For their part, Richmond recorded the second highest disposal efficiency of any team so far this year. They also barely lost the tackle count, and their own tackle count is way up on what it was in the first four rounds, which means there might be similar competitive performances to come - unless Hawthorn made them look good, which is also possible. Tiges' are still giving away far too many marks inside 50 to their opponents though, averaging 19 against the league average of 12.

On that note, Port have shown that the difference between their best and worst is truly remarkable. Of their three losses this year, they gave away 28 marks in their defensive 50 in one game and 20 in their loss today. In three of their five wins, they've given away just 3 in two games and 7 in another! What the hell is going on there?!

West Coast managed 16 marks inside 50 this round, beating their previous best of 10 without managing a significant number of higher entries. If they keep that up, as well as their contested mark count which is amongst the highest in the comp, then this turnaround in form might keep up. Their shooting for goal is still woeful though, which is a key issue. Not many sides will let you kick 10.15 (with four more shots on goal that went out on the full) and win.

Attachments

Matt79

Global Moderator
Massive three weeks of games coming up for the Pies - starting with Geelong on Friday, Brissy in Brissy and the Doggies at Ettihad. We've been travelling well, but these matches will tell the real tale of exactly where we are this year. Need to win two, would obviously be ace to win all three - would be deserved premiership favourites at that stage.

Will also just point out that for all the (marginally justified) stick we cop re not travelling much, we've kept alive the habit of nearly always winning when we do.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The Geelong game will be a blowout, I just don't know who's going to win it.

I reckon the Pies will destroy Brisbane, the Lions are in a bad way at the moment.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Will also just point out that for all the (marginally justified) stick we cop re not travelling much, we've kept alive the habit of nearly always winning when we do.
Travel isn't an issue that is confined to one game though. So often you see teams come back from Perth and lose the week after, which obviously means that when you're not travelling much, you're not having as many games where you suffer the consequences of cross-country travel from the weekend before. It's a double whammy which you're only using half of to justify a pretty favourable draw.

Not that Collingwood are alone in this respect though - the Bombers and Hawks have only traveled interstate once this year and the Dees haven't left Victoria once.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Collingwood have been premiership favourites at some stage for about the past three years. I think that they're better than what they have been in the past few years, but markets move far too much at this stage of the year. On the plus side, they're winning all the games that they should, and setting themeslves up for a proper tilt from the Top 4 come September. They'll beat us this week, I reckon.

Think that the Doggies are just getting themselves there and abouts at the right time still.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Reckon we can beat Essendon this week. Sure we are ****house, but we somehow always do well against Essendon despite being ****house (see 2007 and 2009)