• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think most Cats fans have an issue with the way it was dragged out for so long. All you needed was the announcement to be made on Today Tonight and it'd be Lebron all over again.

That said, I have no issues with it. He should be able to take whatever time he wants within reason. Doesn't owe the fans a quick answer.
If anything that's the medias fault, not Ablett.

Would've been more distracting if he announced he was going during the year, then had to face up with his team mates every week knowing he's only a month or so away from bailing.

pasag

RTDAS
What? Judd's move to Carlton was way worse and more prolonged than this.

When should he have announced it? During GF week? That'd be Judd-ish selfish (and I love Judd so not having a go).

He waited after the Cats were knocked out, and after the GF.
If anything that's the medias fault, not Ablett.

Would've been more distracting if he announced he was going during the year, then had to face up with his team mates every week knowing he's only a month or so away from bailing.
Yeah, I have no problem with it. Just pointing out that from what I've seen most cats fans' issue with him leaving is the way he went about it, not the fact he's taking the money and running.

Well, actually, it does annoy me that Victoria loses a superstar to a made-up club with no history or point, but that's for another time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, actually, it does annoy me that Victoria loses a superstar to a made-up club with no history or point, but that's for another time.
That'd make me feel better as a Cats supporter. Ablett going to Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton or whomever would hurt more.

Whereas he's going to a brand new club which will be full of kids. It's obviously an extremely enticing challenge, whereas if he just went to another club offering him more money than the Cats could afford without getting rid of players, then it'd be more of a slap in the face.

Also ftr, what was the max Geelong could afford whilst keeping their list together? And on top of that, what could they have done (i.e. traded players) to open up their salary cap to keep Ablett? I understand the importance of team ethos, but Ablett is a champion. Would have been tempting to get rid of some salary cap space (trading a Corey or Mackie or both) to keep Ablett.

Anyway I don't know the details of what Geelong could have done so just throwing things out there.

Craig

World Traveller
I'll be interested in seeing how the Geelong faithful will react when he plays against Geelong down there for the first time, anything more creative then the normal chorus of boos every time he touches the ball.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the last 3-4 years the two best players in the league have changed clubs.

And GC had a red hot crack at Riewoldt to if I remember correctly.
Did it work? **** me their side would've been Carlton 2008-09 esque if he went there.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, it's not all downside for the Cats. It frees up some salary cap, and gives them two first round draft picks. For a club on the verge of needing to regenerate anyway, they are two pretty big benefits.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What frustrates me in a way is the media coverage of it all season. Everyone knew that no-one would announce that they were leaving half way through the season, it just wasn't the done thing. For every press conference over a whole year, to be badgered about the same issue would have been so frustrating for the Geelong hierarchy.

I'm not shattered by it, as Jono said I can deal with him going to a new entity rather than him playing for another club. Who knows, it's probably created a club to hate the Gold Coast, rather than everyone else's apathy towards them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jack still under the misapprehension that the footy media should talk about the game and what the players do onfield, when obviously their real role is to be the Gretel Killeen to the AFL's big brother house.

Redbacks

International Captain
Good to know that AD's salary is tied to the attendance figures for the season. Another case of an economic incentive solution providing a rational outcome for all :wacko:

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't understand people who get so riled up about players changing clubs for money. Footy players have a career span of like 10-12 years tops and I dare say Ablett isn't the type who'll make much of a packet in the media after he's done. People really give a massive **** about labelling a guy a mercenary when we've seen time and time again players retiring and not having any dough.

I know it seems a bit hypocritical on my behalf considering my part attitude towards nathan brown, but that had nothing to do with bitterness because he left for a bigger paycheck and more to do with how he left us. Ablett left in the classiest way you can after helping geelong to two flags. Anyone pissy at him for that can **** off imo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ That we are aware of... :ph34r:

Yeah, good luck to Gazza - should still be a legend down at Geelong given what he helpedthe club achieve.

Last edited: