Page 106 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 656961041051061071081161562066061106 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 16968
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: A.F.L. Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    As much as he's given us grief about still having it all to prove in PF and GFs, and being jealous of the Cats - and he's right on both counts, if not about the "hatred" - I think he might be feeling that with the age of the Geelong team and maybe Ablett heading north at the end of the year, this might be the last time they'll be an absolute top tier team for a few years, and hence, he can maybe feel the chase's breath on his neck, and is getting a bit edgy.

Thought Dale Thomas was pretty good just now on Footy Classified, albeit pretty tightly controlled as you'd want the week before the Prelim. He says it's not a deliberate tactic, and maybe it is simply he's maturing as a person, but I think it's been exactly the right thing for him to pull back on the media stuff a bit and let his football do the talking - helped by the fact he's had his best season to date. Still only 23, which actually kinda surprised me when they said it.
    Think it's basically been a bit of a thing to motivate his own players, rather than actually getting at Collingwood. Geelong have prided themselves as taking everything as per normal, but I think Thompson wants that to change and get a higher intensity out of the players and highlight that the stakes are higher. Think that was especially so with the talk regarding "hatred".

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I love Thompson as coach, but his new 'relaxed cockyness' persona is interesting. If he had been doing it for the last 4 years it'd be fair enough. But it kind of has mainly emerged this year. To me that suggests Ablett's possibility departure has had an effect.
    I think it's simply that because Geelong has been so consistent and good over the past four seasons, he's allowed himself to say what he really thinks rather than trying to say the "right" thing that everyone expects. For example, when Lloyd was questioning him about Melbourne's team, or in post-match interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    YOu're probably right, but why now and not last year when the Saints beat them and ended up higher on the ladder?
    Acknowledgement that the really important games from about Round 18 onwards are the KO games.

EDIT: he also did it last year to his own players at the 150 year function. Think it's all another method of doing that.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 13-09-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    What a shame Footy Classified isn't on tonight instead. Would be interesting to see how Hutchy is feeling after last night.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

What happened? I missed it.

I'm confused. I saw the ep. What you referring to Casson?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Surely he didn't say that Campbell Brown would stay, did he?

Nah, let's just say that Hutchy knows his footy more than his cricket, and that's saying something.

Someone was saying a little while back that the GC were really going to struggle next year based on their form in the VFL, but their team is coming together pretty nicely, esp. when you throw in all the high picks they're going to get in the draft. Don't think they'll be any better than mediocre next year, but I don't think they're completely deluding themselves to talk of being a threat in 2014. Especially if they land Ablett. Am assuming Harbrow is going as thus far the rumours have been right each time about Brown, Rischitelli, Bock, and Krakouer. A line up featuring all of those guys, especially Ablett, their promising kids like David Swallow and Zac Smith, whatever Karmichael Hunt turns out to be, plus the top kids in this years draft will actually be reasonable pretty quickly, although I expect them to have a pretty average first half of the season as they'll have a lot of rookies all trying to adjust at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Close to 100k people expected at the game. I'd imagine around 60k of them will be Collingwood fans.

Seeing as though we'll have so many of them in the one place we should compromise the 40k Geelong fans and neutrals and blow up the stadium.

Greater good for the greater number etc etc.
    Overkill, IMO. Just check IDs against membership lists and obviously colours worn when people head through the gates, and direct the Collingwood fans off to one side for a mass execution. The Geelong fans can watch the game in peace.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Someone was saying a little while back that the GC were really going to struggle next year based on their form in the VFL, but their team is coming together pretty nicely, esp. when you throw in all the high picks they're going to get in the draft. Don't think they'll be any better than mediocre next year, but I don't think they're completely deluding themselves to talk of being a threat in 2014.
    Uhh yeah, but isn't that pretty much the curve that everyone has predicted for them so far?

Sorry for making conversation.

Hey man, just defending my standpoint, seeing as that 'someone' was me.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Their real problem in the immediate future is going to be depth because it just won't be there at the start. Even if they get Ablett, Harbrow, etc. when one goes down there's no one capable of replacing them.

I WANNA KNOW WHAT CASSON WAS TALKING ABOUT WITH REGARDS TO HUTCHY!!!

Please.

Thread Information