• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was quite surprised with his & Maxwell's interviews in the immediate aftermath tho; both sounded to be genuinely gutted to have to go again. Maxwell pretty much said the rules need changing.

First time I've heard Goddard speak (it's always roo, dal santo etc who speak) and I was very impressed with him. Hayes, Roo, Goddard. The Saints certainly don't lack quality leadership options

howardj

International Coach
I think, on reflection, people are perhaps being a bit scathing on the Hird appointment. There's no one pathway to being a good coach. Sure, doing an apprenticeship may give you a better chance of making a fist of things - but there's no one surefire pathway. And people who are using the Voss comparison...well, Voss actually made a damn good fist of things in his first year. He got them to the finals and they won a final, which was more than the experienced hand of Matthews could do in the previous few years. Not that I am bagging Matthews, just pointing out that not having experience is not a bar to success, it's just a hurdle.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Haven't seen anyone criticizing it. People have pointed out the hurdle he has to overcome, but the fact the Dons are going to spend a ton on getting him a huge support staff and an experienced sounding board has also got a very prominent mention.

pasag

RTDAS
Haven't seen anyone criticizing it.
It should absolutely be criticised if they haven't gone through the proper process in finding a new coach. Expecting a massive Ben Cousins effect over the off season before they come crashing down to earth in round 1.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
**** I hate Essendon fans.

So many "Yes, Hird to lead us to Premiership glory again" Facebook statuses.

And I'm surrounded by them where I live as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was in Sydney yesterday actually.

Sydney peeps love the pose on the bar and stare into the distance.