• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Redbacks

International Captain
On a different subject, it will be a logistical nightmare next week wrt for the police needed at the GF replay, since the World Cycling Championships will be Geelong and they start on Tuesday or Wednesday and go until Sunday, and they already require a large police presence (road closures for starters) for that.
I guess the 'sports capital of the world' will have to live up to their billing.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the main reasons for why the old Gold Coast league team didn't succeed because the league didn't have the resources to ride out the tough times. The AFL, being the richest sporting code in the country, can pump money into them for as long as it takes before they get traction (i.e. they start experiencing success and consistently play finals). It was the same situation with the Swans.

Unfortunately the Swans survived.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've heard one or two suggestions that the AFL will just keep pumping money into those two new franchises until they don't need too since the AFL is already cashed up.

On a different subject, it will be a logistical nightmare next week wrt for the police needed at the GF replay, since the World Cycling Championships will be Geelong and they start on Tuesday or Wednesday and go until Sunday, and they already require a large police presence (road closures for starters) for that.
Yeah, the AFL is fully committed to GC and GWS succeeding, and they'll have to get to the point where it is literally driving them broke before they stop pumping money into them. They've propped up Sydney and Brisbane for 30 and 20 years respectively up until now, and will probably continue to do so, and they're the wealthiest and best administered code in the land, so they'll easily be able to outlast soccer and league if it comes down to a battle of endurance.

Emotionally I'm against the expansion, and my secondary position would be that if there was to be an extention, it should be to Tasmania which is a traditional and passionate footy state, but I can see the logic of it from a cold business perspective IF they can make it work.

Think it's not come across very well at all this last couple of weeks as the extent to which the AFL has been stage-managing the announcements and assisting GCFC with the negotiations has become clear. It's become completely apparent that Ablett is going to GC, and has been since probably Tuesday last week, but it was equally clear that the AFL didn't want that distraction in Grand Final week. They'll probably bite the bullet and annouce it tomorrow now, but when clubs are feeling that they're getting screwed over, and the AFL is not just not stopping the assault, but holding the victim down and shouting encouragement, it's a bad look.

That said, it isn't a total disaster for Geelong - they'll get two first rounders for Ablett at a time when they're just about to start a list overhaul. Still would obviously prefer to keep him, but there is a small silver lining.

pasag

RTDAS
^ hmm, think they could have had another crack next year. Would certainly have still finished top 4 (prob still will with without Ablett, not like the other contenders like the Doggies are going anywhere).

Re-watching the game, think it was the best GF since 89, personally. How good was Hayes tackle on Swan? fmd, what a star.

Was at JB and they've already got the DVD of the game in stock. How insane is that?

Matt79

Global Moderator
May buy it if we win next week, otherwise will avoid watching it as much as I can. Goddard was epic as well, and Maxwell did some incredibly important things, early on when we were on top, then to chase down and touch that otherwise certain goal in the last quarter and also took a big pack mark to stop a forward thrust late in the last. Thomas fully came of age as a top-drawer footballer in yesterday's match IMO as well.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only had one bet on the game, and that was $10 on Lenny Hayes for the Norm Smith at $8.

Was planning on putting some on Didak also, but luckily forgot.

Craig

World Traveller
^ hmm, think they could have had another crack next year. Would certainly have still finished top 4 (prob still will with without Ablett, not like the other contenders like the Doggies are going anywhere).

Re-watching the game, think it was the best GF since 89, personally. How good was Hayes tackle on Swan? fmd, what a star.

Was at JB and they've already got the DVD of the game in stock. How insane is that?
Speaking of that... :ph34r:

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Just wanted to pay credit to Zac Dawson, my respect for him as a player has gone through the roof. He was awesome yesterday and that hit on Didak was one of the most enjoyable things i've seen in a while.

Hayes is an absolute machine, seriously rated him. Reminds me of Hird so bad in that whenever his team needs/needed him he woill always stand up and not go down without a fight.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Matt, are you serious saying that the Pies were the ones that dodged the bullet, and the Saints should feel more down?

Your team led for almost the entire game, including by 26 points at one stage, and the Saints had no ruckman for a half of football!

Pies fans should feel like they let a Premiership possibly slip, and Saints fans should be damn happy they've got a replay next week.

Goddard and Hayes... so ****ing good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Only had one bet on the game, and that was $10 on Lenny Hayes for the Norm Smith at $8.

Was planning on putting some on Didak also, but luckily forgot.
Awesome bet, but fmd those are some awful odds.

You should have been getting over $10 for any Saints player considering they were almost $3 underdogs going in.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matt, are you serious saying that the Pies were the ones that dodged the bullet, and the Saints should feel more down?

Your team led for almost the entire game, including by 26 points at one stage, and the Saints had no ruckman for a half of football!

Pies fans should feel like they let a Premiership possibly slip, and Saints fans should be damn happy they've got a replay next week.

Goddard and Hayes... so ****ing good.
That's precisely what I meant by "dodged a bullet". We let a GF slip out of our grasp and got utterly outplayed in the second half by an opposition that was a man down. It was awful footy on our part, albeit the Saints were inspired. We were ****ed in the last quarter and the Saints were having their way with us. If Milne had picked that ball up or even just soccered it through, we'd have lost another grand final. However as it turned out, we're not dead, we get to go and play in a GF again this week. I don't think we'll play as badly as we did after the 20 minute mark of the first quarter again.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Awesome bet, but fmd those are some awful odds.

You should have been getting over $10 for any Saints player considering they were almost $3 underdogs going in.
Not really - give the theory was they had a couple of better stars than us but were less even down to their 22. Are you saying that Riewoldt also should have been more than 10-1?

pasag

RTDAS
Not really - give the theory was they had a couple of better stars than us but were less even down to their 22. Are you saying that Riewoldt also should have been more than 10-1?
Yeah but how often do players win it from losing sides?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mate, just before the siren these were the Betfair odds on Saints players:

Riewoldt - $11
Hayes - $13
Goddard - $15
Montagna - $25

These were the odds on Collingwood players:

Swan - $6.2
Pendlebury - $10
Didak - $12

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think we'll play as badly as we did after the 20 minute mark of the first quarter again.
I agree.

You were ****ty odds going into the GF on Saturday ($1.44 is a joke against a quality team like St Kilda), and were too heavy favourites. However the odds are more realistic now, and if you go out to $1.70 or similar, and Pendlebury is 100% fit, I may back you dirty bastards.