• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hockey World Cup - 2010 - India

Sir Alex

Banned
It started today.

Opening day there were 3 matches,

Spain beat South Africa 4-2

India beat Pakistan 4-1 :cool:

England upset Australia 3-2:-O :laugh: (I think first time in 24 years?)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Best sport going FTW. So much more entertaining that Football IMO. Probably won't end up watching any as I guess it'll be on SS, but I'll try catch some online. Best sport to play as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Best sport going FTW. So much more entertaining that Football IMO. Probably won't end up watching any as I guess it'll be on SS, but I'll try catch some online. Best sport to play as well.
Have just thrown up in my mouth, tbh. :sick: It's not even the best hockey code.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Danger I reckon. Can't have some nutter nailing the ball from miles out into a crowded D area, would be completely mental. Would be absolutely great entertainment and myself as a midfielder would love it, but it's a tad dangerous.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Have just thrown up in my mouth, tbh. :sick: It's not even the best hockey code.
Haha, actually if I was going to say that any sport was better, it would be Ice-hockey, but each to their own.

Why do you find that idea so reprehensible FTR?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Danger I reckon.
HTFU. I went to a hurling game whilst I was over in Ennis last year and they don't have any qualms about shooting from anywhere.

Saw three people stretchered off, which the Irish bloke who was acting as our interpreter said was about average.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
HTFU. I went to a hurling game whilst I was over in Ennis last year and they don't have any qualms about shooting from anywhere.

Saw three people stretchered off, which the Irish bloke who was acting as our interpreter said was about average.
Haha, there's your answer then. It would be dangerous as hell, not saying that I like the rule, but that's the intentions to which it was brought in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, there's your answer then. It would be dangerous as hell, not saying that I like the rule, but that's the intentions to which it was brought in.
Hurling's properly mental, tbf. You're allowed to catch or kick the ball if you have the stones for it. Didn't quite know what was going on, but the overall effect was of a much more heterosexual sport than hockey.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
If danger is proportional to how 'manly' a sport is, then I'm not entirely sure why it's still seen as a girls sport, other than the fact that girls used to play it (FTR the idea that it was invented by women is a total myth). Other than hurling, ice-hockey and being a front row forward in rugby union, I can't think of many more dangerous sports. I've seen some pretty horrendous injuries,mainly people getting smashed round the face with a stick/ball.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think you can shoot from anywhere in bandy - essentially hockey on ice (they even do the same trick with penalty corners). Though they have a little more protection as they're using skates and thus could fall at higher speeds.

biased indian

International Coach
So are 15-20 other sports... :p

Personally, struggle to see why you can't shoot from outside the circle.
think it would be freaking dangerous if every one started shooting from every where

they don't wear any protective gear ..other than during penalty corner rite

biased indian

International Coach
they have introduced video referrals..one per team in a match..when will football bring in some thing like that ????

Meridio

International Regular
Hurling's properly mental, tbf. You're allowed to catch or kick the ball if you have the stones for it. Didn't quite know what was going on, but the overall effect was of a much more heterosexual sport than hockey.
Stunned at this attitude tbh. Can not see how anyone could possibly call hockey a "girl's sport" as though it's soft. Crazily dangerous game.

Anyway, NZ to do the usual start-well-and-then-get-whipped-by-Australia/Germany/Netherlands trick.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Used to go in goal without pads on at school, how to make a women's sport into a manly pursuit.

It's clearly not girly because it's a soft sport, like women's rugby it attracts the manly 'butch' women types.